DVDVR Message Board

December 2014 Football Thread

Dolfan in NYC

I guess I'll post the champions league draw then.

Paris Saint-Germain v CHELSEA

MANCHESTER CITY v Barcelona

Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid

Juventus v Borussia Dortmund

Schalke v Real Madrid

Shakhtar Donetsk v Bayern Munich

Arsenal v AS Monaco

FC Basel v FC Porto

I'm pretty happy with this draw, Arsenal fell into a barrel full of cocks and came up sucking their thumb.

• Like 2

And the beloved Europa League, quick C & P from the BBC.

Young Boys v Everton

Torino v Athletic Bilbao

Sevilla v Borussia Monchengladbach

Wolfsburg v Sporting Lisbon

Ajax v Legia Warsaw

Aalborg v Club Brugge

Anderlecht v Dynamo Moscow

Dnipro v Olympiakos

Trabzonspor v Napoli

Guingamp v Dynamo Kiev

Villarreal v Red Bull Salzburg

Roma v Feyenoord

PSV Eindhoven v Zenit St Petersburg

Liverpool v Besiktas

Tottenham v Fiorentina

Celtic v Inter Milan

Was having some fun digging through the Soccer Manager Club list and built a theoretical division with 20 unique club names. I'm pretty far down the rabbit hole with this list but looking for any really good suggestions I might have missed, just for laughs. I threw in the three Montevideo Uruguay teams just because I like the way they roll off the tongue.

There's no Botswana or Pakistan on your list?

Botswana: Botswana Defence Force XI FC, Botswana Meat Commission FC, Sankoyo Bush Bucks FC, Township Rollers FC

Pakistan: Karachi Electric Supply Corporation F.C., Karachi Port Trust F.C, Khan Research Laboratories F.C., Muslim F.C., National Bank of Pakistan F.C., Pakistan Air Force F.C., Pakistan Army F.C., Pakistan International Airlines F.C., Pakistan Navy F.C., Water & Power Development Authority F.C.

• Like 2

they use the acronym BMC FC on some mediums. If that helps any.

Random degenerate picker blurb: Greek football is so very trustworthy. Meaning "Home teams don't lose", even when 16th place hosts 4th place (Panthrakikos v. Tripoli). ESPN puts the occasional match from leagues plagued by matchfixing on their streak game because something has to be on the board at 8am (it's either Greek soccer, Turkish soccer, Russian soccer or KHL. One morning they had Serbian soccer).

Could've sworn there was a crazy scandal with one of the African leagues a few years ago where the home team just happened to win every match through the entire season so there was like an 18-way tie for the lead on the final weekend.

Could've sworn there was a crazy scandal with one of the African leagues a few years ago where the home team just happened to win every match through the entire season so there was like an 18-way tie for the lead on the final weekend.

I really would like to see that league (or the ones in Asia that are plagued with fixed matches) hire Paul Heyman as a booker. Extreme Championship Football would be MONEY!!!

Happened is the right word. I really have to say I´m disgusted with Bayern to the max. Dominating the league and winning almost every game in walkthrough fashion isn´t enough, they still get teams slipping up in the dieing minutes of the game to take three points in one of the very few games where they looked closer to defeat for a good sixty minutes.

Okay, maybe not "losing", but Mainz didn´t give them anything and had the better chances up to that kick by Robben right in the 90th minute. Even for the last 30, when Bayern were applying the pressure, they didn´t really create any opportunity. Kind of feel sorry for Mainz, but in the end, it´s totally on them. They played a really good game, but passes like that one from Okazaki will mess you up against every team of the league. Well, aside from Dortmund atm, they would either miss an open goal or try to dribble the ball across the line instead of shooting.

To be fair, they have been a relegation zone them for a few weeks now themselves. And as of right now, they finally look like a team battling against relegation. There are no excuses anymore. Up until three games ago, if you saw their matches and heard somebody go "Well, they are playing decent, but individual mistakes, bad luck and bad finishing cost them many games...", you could believe them. The last two away games in Berlin and Bremen however were horrendous. Their attack looked abysmal, their defense somehow managed to look even worse.

For weeks it looked as if both, Subotic and Ginter, were safety hazards in defense and things would be set straight once Hummels was at a good fitness level. Yesterday it was clearly Hummels who was the safety hazard after being back for quite a while now. It seems like he adapted after a great game at home against Hoffenheim and got into the form the team has instead of getting to be his best.

I have the impression that nobody of the club has realized the danger the club is in up until now. Maybe a look at the last few games plus the 5 week football break will help them come to realizing it. 15 points out of 51 is a ratio that gets you relegated in any league of the world.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I heard a good joke today that you guys will probably enjoy better than if I posted it in Land of Confusion...

A Glaswegian lad takes his girlfriend home for the first time.
He says, "This is Amanda."

His dad jumps up. "It's a fucking what?"