DVDVR Message Board

December 2014 Football Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Guest The Magnificent 7

Did you see Rangers getting turfed out of the Challenge Cup by Alloa? Good times.

Aye, thank God Ally "does not do walking away."

Not so fast, apparently Wee Fat Ally McCoist has had enough after losing to Queen of the South.

QotS is one of the better Game of Thrones names in Scottish football (and there are several).

0d79a63c1a68c7d470dbbc0a00dfa93a.jpg

I dunno, kinda the best national anthem on the planet.

As a Scot, even I can admit the best is clearly the Italian one. There's actually some debate about whether Flower of Scotland should even be the anthem, I've heard "Caledonia", and "A man's a man for a' that"(which I'd go for) put forward.

Bonus points for the mention of the mighty East Fife.

Strangest damn dude ever in football, I think.

It was literally, one minute he was great...and then he wasn't. It was like Eric Bristow getting dartitis or some shit. I mean, guy's only 30 now and yet he's finished as a top level centre forward.

Best thing Liverpool ever did was getting 50 million spondulas for him probably 12 months after his head went.

When £35 million of that is spent on Andy Carroll it doesn't seem like such a great deal.

• Like 2

I dunno, kinda the best national anthem on the planet.

As a Scot, even I can admit the best is clearly the Italian one. There's actually some debate about whether Flower of Scotland should even be the anthem, I've heard "Caledonia", and "A man's a man for a' that"(which I'd go for) put forward.

Bonus points for the mention of the mighty East Fife.

I would plump for the Welsh anthem personally

A country of choirboys

No, that was an awful miss.

That should have been a penalty on Winston Reid. It obviously wasn't intentional, but it's not like he was 3 yards away and it was blasted against his arm. The ball was looped in and Reid walked right into the ball.

Was having some fun digging through the Soccer Manager Club list and built a theoretical division with 20 unique club names. I'm pretty far down the rabbit hole with this list but looking for any really good suggestions I might have missed, just for laughs. I threw in the three Montevideo Uruguay teams just because I like the way they roll off the tongue.

1- FK Ogre (Latvia)

2- Thor (Iceland)

3- United Africa Tigers (Namibia)

4- Torpedo Zhodino (Belarus)

5- The Strongest (Bolivia, and your winner. Because even if you lose, you're still The Strongest.)

6- Tarxien Rainbows (Malta)

7- Sun Pegasus (South Korea)

8- Santiago Morning (Chile)

9- Rushden & Diamonds (England)

10- Royal White Star Bruxelles (Belgium)

11- River Plate de Montevideo
12- Liverpool de Montevideo
13- Racing Club de Montevideo (Uruguay)

14- Progres Niederkorn (Luxembourg)

15- Hercules (Spain)

16- Heart of Lions (Ghana)

17- FC Santa Claus (Finland)

18- Atlas (Mexico)

19- CD Dragon (El Salvador)

20- Buckie Thistle (Scotland)

Also considered: Flamengo, Chaco For Ever, Hearts of Oak, Churchill Brothers, and Bangkok Glass which sounds like the punchline to an awful joke.

• Like 1

Have Young Boys ever played Newell's Old Boys? I'm not sure I want to google that.

Check out the list of Jamaican teams - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_Jamaica

Humble Lions FC, Los Perfectos FC, if you go down to the third tier clubs and below, it becomes even more absurd - Tru Juice FC, Delta Force FC, all kinds of shit.

• Like 1

Jack Warner owns a team in Trinidad called Joe Public FC, they play at a stadium next to the Dr. Joao Havelange Centre of Excellence, the wikipedia page for which contains this predictable gem - "The development, despite being paid for by football bodies was registered in the name of Warner-owned two companies".

Further digging I found at least one more quality name in Batman Petrolspor. I'm sure it means something totally different in Turkish but come on it's club fucking Batman.

Golden Arrows is a South African team that would sound a lot cooler if Golden Arrow wasn't a bus line in these parts. Cefn Druids are no doubt a team you don't mess around with. Gimnasia de Conception sounds like some sort of Olympic fanfiction I'm not clicking on from work. Inverurie Loco Works is also a quality factory-named team.

My, what a custom league this would be.