DVDVR Message Board

December 2014 Football Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Faewell TH14, you were pure class, the greatest player to EVER play in MLS. You will always have my love and respect for the Metro armband alone that showed you understood the concept of honoring our history. The team should create a Hall of Fame and make TH, JPA, Clint and Gio the inaugural class. Team is clearly now interested in honoring our history and I'm glad they are doing so.

When you said "Clint", I thought, "When did Dempsey play for New York?"

Mathis at his best blew away Dempsey. If he doesn't get hurt Metro would have at least one title. Still remember him scoring what I feel is still the greatest goal in MLS history vs Dallas (basically a copy of the legendary Maradona goal from the 86 world cup. If he doesn't get hurt the entire history of American soccer from 2001 on would be changed greatly.

Guest The Magnificent 7

He needs to be even deeper.  Like past those white chalk lines.  Picking splinters out of his arse type of deep. 

Borussia Dortmund wins their home game against Hoffenheim in an intense opener of the Bundesliga´s 14th matchday. Their inability to score is still astonishing. Lots of good, some even great chances for Dortmund, but the scoreline was 1-0 in the end, thanks to an early Gündogan (flying) header. Early in the second half they got a goal disallowed which should have stood and I´m sure the Bundesliga officials will breath their sighes of relief after this didn´t lead to them dropping points like they did against Paderborn.

Hoffenheim didn´t have their best day, they started out okay, but then looked to be out of it after about ten minutes. They weren´t able to recover after the goal and it was pretty much all Dortmund.

Quick sidenote: Pierre Emerick Aubameyang is an amazing player, of course his athleticism is his trump card, but he is also really good with the ball and thinking quick on his feet.

I´m biased, no question, but seeing Neuer´s way of defending long passes which are splitting Bayern´s midfield and back line apart makes me think he should get the FIFA Golden Ball coming January. With all the hyperbole in today´s sports media, his way of goalkeeping is indeed revolutionary. There have been quite a few goalkeepers who were good footballers since the backpass rule was inserted, but I have never seen one play the position like Neuer does, not even in one game, let alone as consistant as the Bayern No.1 did.

Then again, Cristiano has been really great this season aswell and won the CL in summer after scoring a bazillion goals. So I guess it is indeed my bias, since it´s not only a German but also a goalkeeper (I was one during my youth days aswell) who is among the top three.

Guest The Magnificent 7

NAKA coming back to Celtic for next week's match.  Will do the halftime draw that sort of thing.

Dude was awesome.  Loved him.

This will be the best video you've seen all week...

Guest The Magnificent 7

Did you see Rangers getting turfed out of the Challenge Cup by Alloa? Good times.

Aye, thank God Ally "does not do walking away."

Laughed out loud three times in a minute watching that video.

The accent. It makes life better man.

There's a 45 minute documentary on Youtube about the Rangers/Celtic hatred that was done just before Rangers died and went away forever, I watched that this week on a whim. It's actually kind of frightening. Some of these fuckin' people are out of their minds. I know we're talking the minority, but even so I don't know if there's another rivalry like it. And most of the really crazy ones (except for that Rangers "fan" that got banned for 5 years for singing songs about hitting Fenians with a hammer...) seem to be the older crowd who probably lived through more of the meat of The Troubles, Thatcher, and all that shit that seems to be part of the divide.

I'll tell you this though. If I ever hit the lottery, I promised myself years ago the big thing I'd do that would piss a lot of money away would be taking trips to (insert place) where you spend a week in the city seeing all the sights but you're really there to watch one game in the big stadium. Celtic Park on a meaningful game night is really, really close to the top of that list. I learned the words to Celtic Symphony just in case they ask me to sing to prove I'm not a Hun or something. I'd do shit closer to home like running the whole gauntlet of NHL rinks, but hell I've never even been on an airplane let alone been to Europe. Do the fucking loop there too. Dream big.

Wayne Rooney attended an Old Firm derby a few years ago, sat in the away end at Ibrox, and nobody recognised him.

Everyone in Glasgow looks like that.

• Like 2