DVDVR Message Board

December 2014 Football Thread

Dolfan in NYC

"My player was touched so his entire body going limp isn't diving" is there anyone over the mental age of 6 that actually believes this bullshit? God bless you Jose, you are my favourite villain. If it wasn't for bad luck, cheating, and conspiracy, he'd win every game. Southampton continue to find a way and I think it's great to see someone outside of The Usual Suspects in the top four, at least for a while.

Tottenham also managed not to lose to Manchester United because Hugo Lloris is the real deal bubba. Vertonghen has been a bit of a carnival ride in defense this year though. First half was full of chances both ways. Second half is what happens when both managers say in the locker room "please be less entertaining you're killing me".

Twitter hates Andros Townsend a lot.

Alan Pardew's got permission to talk to Palace. Apparently Coloccini is touted to be the next Newcastle boss. Steve Bruce is another name being talked about. I think Newcastle would be wiser to opt for Bruce, since he has the experience.   

The experience of managing (and indeed being fired - for not being good enough - by) Sunderland, yes. The Geordies would love that. They wouldn't call him a Mackem reject at all.

Some papers were suggesting Pulis as a possible for West Brom. Even though he's responsible for getting more West Brom managers fired than anyone else. (nb: In every part of the country except Stoke, their full name is West Bromwich Albion. In Stoke, it's We Always Beat West Brom).

Apparently Pulis is first choice at Newcastle and West Brom. But he won't do either unless they give him control over transfers, which neither wants to do.

EDIT: Dammit, one minute too late for the thread. Someone start Jan 15 already.

Thoughts on Liverpool letting Stevie Gerrard go?. IMO, it's a big mistake, as I still think he has got a good year in him, possibly two. I also really don't see who they have coming through the ranks to replace him in his position. I'd keep him to play just in front of the defense and add some stability, as Liverpool's defending is definitely their Achilles heel. They'll have to spend big money in the transfer market for find a player on par with Gerrard and also you have to find the right player to fit into the system. They need to get a new GK too, Mignolet's confidence is gone and he's only playing because Jones is out. I think Brendan Rodgers & the Liverpool board should pull out all the stops to keep Gerrard as I think after losing one world class player like Suarez already they'll be in an even worse situation they are now if they lose another. They spent the Suarez money unwisely and bought players who don't really gel with each other and no one has had much influence on their style of play. I think the tried and tested method is really to break up a team one piece at a time and then find the right player to keep everything going. I think Rodgers has tried to integrate too many players at once and some signings haven't really worked out like Balotelli for example. I think they need to offload some under performing players and maybe expand their scouting network to sign some undiscovered high quality players who can adapt and work well with each other. Raheem Sterling is a promising player but it seems like by playing him almost every game they are like running him into the ground. I think it's being done more out of necessity because there isn't really any backup for him. Maybe when Daniel Sturridge comes back it'll brighten things up, more compared to the highs of last season, Liverpool are like a totally different team altogether and there seems to be a general, I don't know if it's a lack of confidence or a disharmony about them. Perhaps they'll bring in a few new players in the transfer window, but unfortunately, I don't see them getting a Champions League place this season which is a shame because they were a great team to watch last season.

Newcastle's shortlist for a new boss includes Remi Garde, Thomas Tuchel & Christophe Galtier, I think McClaren's ruled himself out. A few other names floating around are Glenn Hoddle, Real assistant manager Paul Clement & Eddie Howe. 

You lost me at Gerrard providing stability as a holding midfielder. He's a massive liability in that position as he's got little positional discipline, low concentration and poor marking. Add to that, his legs are pretty well shot outside a few bursts per game. His strengths remain his ability to pick out a pass, convert pelanties, curl in free kicks in the 25 yard range, and to throw a tackle. He'll kill it in America because the level of play isn't very good there and he'll probably be able to roam forward more often than for Liverpool.

Most of the new signings are starting to find their stride. Of course, Lallana goes and gets injured again just as he found his form. Unless both of Southampton or Arsenal shit the bed entirely the rest of the season, there's not much hope for 4th.