DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Remember when Dana called Kimbo Slice a sideshow act? I guess it's different when he's profiting off the sideshow.

Anyway, the Sid/Stan Hansen jobber squash video can be found in the Sid Vicious Wrestler of the Day thread, along with some other fun squash matches. Sid press slamming one jobber from inside the ring onto the other jobber laid out on a stretcher is a thing of beauty.

Might be my favourite squash match of all times. That spot was so fucking dangerous and awesome. Can you imagine being an enhancement guy, going to the arena and finding out you're wrestling Stan THE MAN Hansen and Sid fucking Vicious?

• Like 1

I was weirdly happy for Punk when he said on that podcast that he had $20 million.  I was thinking of all the things he could do...but more importantly all the things he could AVOID EVER DOING AGAIN LIKE GETTING KICKED OR PUNCHED IN THE BRAIN BECAUSE HE DOESN"T HAVE TO TO LIKE EAT AND SHIT!!!!

Some people, man.

He didn't say he had 20 million. He was speaking as one of the whiny fans on twitter who try to figure out how much money he has and how it wont last him long enough to stay out of wrestling.

Positives: not as beat up as the traditional aging mma palooka, can afford best training and methods possible

Negatives: 36 years old, prior training rivals kiddie karate class, will compete with Diaz brothers for skinny fat title

It's fascinating, but he would be punished by middleweights like Herman or Dollaway, much less Weidman or Silva.

• Like 1

I'd be stunned if Punk fought someone remotely competent right out of the gate. He's going to end up being matched up with a homeless Brazilian guy with Rickets or something. He's probably going to fight someone who makes the cans Bellator has fed to Lashley look like world beaters.

• Like 1

I was weirdly happy for Punk when he said on that podcast that he had $20 million.  I was thinking of all the things he could do...but more importantly all the things he could AVOID EVER DOING AGAIN LIKE GETTING KICKED OR PUNCHED IN THE BRAIN BECAUSE HE DOESN"T HAVE TO TO LIKE EAT AND SHIT!!!!

Some people, man.

He didn't say he had 20 million. He was speaking as one of the whiny fans on twitter who try to figure out how much money he has and how it wont last him long enough to stay out of wrestling.

Dammit.  I was really proud of him for a minute there.

I see it as win for everybody.  CM Punks fans get their Punk fix(away from wrestling but beggars can't be choosers), Punk gets to make a lot money doing what he wants, and everyone else gets a possibility of seeing Punk get worked over.

Anyway, real or not, there is money to made here so I'm sure the UFC powers that be will see fit to feed Punk a tomato can in his first fight.  "Several fights" indeed

Dana has already stated Punk will be fighting someone as inexperienced as he is in his debut. They won't be throwing him to the wolves in his first fight.

Dana has already stated Punk will be fighting someone as inexperienced as he is in his debut. They won't be throwing him to the wolves in his first fight.

Yeah, I figured.  You don't need to follow UFC to know the first CM Punk fight sells itself without having to worry too much about the opponent.  Just make sure you pair him up with someone beatable the first time around.  No guarantees obviously...

Come out to Cult of Personality? Yay or Nay? Hard hitting question.

I'd be stunned if Punk fought someone remotely competent right out of the gate. He's going to end up being matched up with a homeless Brazilian guy with Rickets or something. He's probably going to fight someone who makes the cans Bellator has fed to Lashley look like world beaters.

a homeless Brazilian seems too risky.

Maybe they'll have Punk fight Anthony Bourdain.

• Like 2

This seems like a gamble that has no way of working out well for Punk. If he wins then he beat an easy opponent and if he loses, it'll kill any marketability he has. He'll be nearing 40 before he can actually challenge anyone WITH credibility. 

What in the hell is the planned end game? I hope that UFC is smart and they're just having Punk come in, hopefully beat a few easy opponents while collecting big bucks and popping buyrates. 

a homeless Brazilian seems too risky.

Maybe they'll have Punk fight Anthony Bourdain.

Tony's wife would win

• Like 1

This seems like a gamble that has no way of working out well for Punk. If he wins then he beat an easy opponent and if he loses, it'll kill any marketability he has. He'll be nearing 40 before he can actually challenge anyone WITH credibility. 

What in the hell is the planned end game? I hope that UFC is smart and they're just having Punk come in, hopefully beat a few easy opponents while collecting big bucks and popping buyrates. 

CM Punk and Chael Sonnen in a tag team UFC fight?

Not for nothing but Scorpio Sky seems to be doing alright in MMA, he is currently 2-0.  Now its amateur and not UFC by any means but a pro wrestler can make the transition.

Scorpio Sky had an amateur wrestling background.

What happened to Punk being banged up and concussed? This is an incredibly STUPID midlife crisis that might result in him actually getting hurt. 

It's been 10 months since he's worked. He's obviously healed up by now. And pro wrestling is generally rougher on the body than MMA is.

C'mon Punk, can't you give us a few days without some newz to endlessly discuss/gossip/speculate about.

So last night I realized that the only current WWE main roster wrestler whose matches are always must watch for me is Emma.

I can relate.  It's not quite that bad for me, but, yeah, I could care less about seeing most of the guys getting pushes right now.  Harper, Rollins, Wyatt, Ambrose, etc. seem to be getting crowd reactions, so they probably should be pushed, but they don't do it for me personally.  I still enjoy Cena matches a lot (promos, not so much) and Usos.  Cesaro would probably hook me in if I didn't expect him to job when the opponent is above the level of Fandango or Tyson Kidd.  Other than that, not much in the company is compelling (to me) right now.

There are far more acts I like in NXT than the main roster right now. There's only a handful of acts in NXT I don't like where there's probably only a handful I do like on the main roster. It's gotten so bad for Cesaro I'm kind of hoping they put him in Tyson's NXT vet role so he can tear the house down with Neville, Zayn, Balor, Itami, Owens, Breeze, and teach Corbin how to work.

• Like 2