DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I never understood Foley's Cactus Elbow or whatever it was called. The damage from him dropping an elbow from the apron didn't look nearly as hurty as the impact of that fall on his hips.

If he lost that move back in the early 90's he'd definitely be a lot more mobile today.

I think the point of the move was that you would remember it the next day. It was something he used to stand out. It was a character-driven move based around the idea that Cactus wasn't afraid of (or even liked) pain. Eventually, it became something which had inherent meaning because of how it was presented, to the point that, if it was teased in 1998, for instance, the fans would anticipate it and know it meant something. 

• Like 1

I never understood Foley's Cactus Elbow or whatever it was called. The damage from him dropping an elbow from the apron didn't look nearly as hurty as the impact of that fall on his hips.

If he lost that move back in the early 90's he'd definitely be a lot more mobile today.

Sometime about physics and how it hurts more because the floor has less give than the ring?  Fuck if I know, I'm no rocket surgeon.

I'd like for someone to explain Randy Orton's rope drape ddt to me.  Seems like you could avoid the move by... I dunno..... slumping to the ground yourself?  Not keeping your body as rigid as possible when he grabs you?  Kicking your feet off the ropes?

• Like 1

I understand the wrestling logic of "I'll take a bit of damage with this move to do a lot of damage to my opponent" but Foley's elbow always looked more brutal on himself than his opponent.

I've been watching a lot of '95 ECW on the Network and Foley is just killing himself every show. It's hard to watch sometimes knowing how rough of shape Mick is in these days.

I'd like for someone to explain Randy Orton's rope drape ddt to me. Seems like you could avoid the move by... I dunno..... slumping to the ground yourself? Not keeping your body as rigid as possible when he grabs you? Kicking your feet off the ropes?

They are temporarily paralyzed by the Viper venom.

• Like 4

I can explain how Russian Leg Sweeps and Downward Spirals work too.

Sure, but can you explain why Sabu's opponents hold on to the ropes so he can legdrop them?

Sabu is beyond me. I think he's some sort of space/time vortex possessing a human form. We can only perceive one aspect of him with our feeble human minds and the video cameras that Public Enemy stole from the next door public access show for ECW TV.

• Like 1

I'd like for someone to explain Randy Orton's rope drape ddt to me.  Seems like you could avoid the move by... I dunno..... slumping to the ground yourself?  Not keeping your body as rigid as possible when he grabs you?  Kicking your feet off the ropes?

I've no problem with the logic of it. I kinda wish Jake had used it as a supreme death DDT during his career though

I'd like for someone to explain Randy Orton's rope drape ddt to me. Seems like you could avoid the move by... I dunno..... slumping to the ground yourself? Not keeping your body as rigid as possible when he grabs you? Kicking your feet off the ropes?

They are temporarily paralyzed by the Viper venom.
Randy should work a hypnotic snake charm into his act like the Osirian Portal.

I think we can all agree that Orton is going to come back huge with the crowd going batshit for him to RKO shit out of nowhere..and they should do exactly that. A month of Randy running around whatever city Raw or Smackdown is in that week RKO-ing the shit out of things out of nowhere.

That shit cracks me up. Call me simple.

I think we can all agree that Orton is going to come back huge with the crowd going batshit for him to RKO shit out of nowhere..and they should do exactly that. A month of Randy running around whatever city Raw or Smackdown is in that week RKO-ing the shit out of things out of nowhere.

That shit cracks me up. Call me simple.

That shit would be cool, but we would need Randy to explain why in a 25 minute promo at the beginning of each RAW, otherwise he is RKOing people just for the sake of RKOing people.  

• Like 4