DVDVR Message Board

Art of Wrestling with Colt Cabana v2.0

Rev Ray

Austin was great with letting Bray play a bit into kayfabe, as well.  He understood that the guy is so invested in the character that he never fully breaks it.

I like listening to Colt, but he falls flat on occasion like anybody else, usually when he's interviewing someone that he just doesn't sync well with.  His J.R. interview was pretty terrible, as neither of them could relate about anything.  He's also a bit annoying whenever he talks to Punk.  Very side-kicky. 

I think he's at his best when he's interviewing older dudes like Bagwell or Poffo who he grew up watching but aren't quite "legends."

• Like 1

Guys that don't seem to have a sense of humor usually don't fare well on Colt's show.  JR and Bruno immediately spring to mind.   If you want to call Colt a bad interviewer, the JR one is your best argument, because that was an interview.  There was no chemistry, no rapport, just JR making the same talking points he makes on his own podcast and kinda sending that "I don't want to be here" vibe that he tends to give off.

Considering that neither guy has a background in journalism, I think both guys are pretty damn good. Colt has two modes, both of which work equally well; talking to guys he knows well and has worked with comes across as two buddies having coffee yakking about old times and there just happens to be a live mic close by. The other is when he talking to people that he either watched extensively or has read up on, whatever else you can say about Colt, he is a student of the biz and likely knows a LOT more history than most. These conversations come across exactly as they ought to, a guy talking to one of his idols having had ample time to prepare intelligent questions.

A commonality of both Austin and Colt is that both guys are quick enough to let the conversation veer around in a manner that seems very natural without letting things go off the rails. By comparison RF is an idiot who would follow a great story about a match with "Oh, okay, and what's your favorite color?"

Another commonality and perhaps the most important one is that both Colt and Austin seem quite content with who and where they are at this point in life. There's very, very little of any attempting to put themselves over at the expense of their guests. In wrestling, this is pretty damned refreshing.

• Like 1

My problem with the JR interview - and this is probably just from being a DVDVR regular - was Colt's inability to find the middle ground with the style JR wants to see and the fast-paced indie stuff.  Neither of them seemed to understand what the other was getting at. 

CM Punk says he doesn't believe it was a coincidence that he was fired on his wedding day. He says if Vince McMahon is truly sorry, he has his phone number and his contact information, he can "be a man" and call him and apologize to him like a man.

Punk says McMahon apologizing on Austin's podcast was a publicity stunt.

Punk explains that everyone in WWE knew he was getting married to AJ Lee. Lee got time off for that week for her wedding and honeymoon and everyone knew.

CM Punk says WWE pulled him from a scheduled $20,000 appearance at Wizard World to work a Mexico tour.  Punk says he was paid only $5,000 for the Mexico tour to bump in some brutal hardcore matches.  Punk says he told talent relations he wants his $20,000 for making up for the loss of his Wizard World appearance and they verbally agreed they would pay him at least that much for getting pulled from the Wizard World event.  

What I would say to Punk is that Punk should've gotten the fee change for the Mexico tour in writing if they did agree to $20,000+.  Not saying they didn't screw him over, but in situations like that and you are haggling over pay, you got to get it in writing.  Verbal agreements are meaningless in business.

Still pretty messed up to not inform him about the Wizard World change and that he needs to find out about it over Twitter.

Also, CM Punk says Wizard World approached him first to appear at their events.  Punk went to WWE and told them about it and said WWE started putting everyone else through Wizard World.  

A millionaire getting let go on his wedding day is a lot different than your average wage slave having the same fate.

I don't think his point was "This is gonna cripple me!", I think he was saying "These guys are petty and I don't want anything to do with them ever again."

• Like 5

What I would say to Punk is that Punk should've gotten the fee change for the Mexico tour in writing if they did agree to $20,000+.  Not saying they didn't screw him over, but in situations like that and you are haggling over pay, you got to get it in writing.  Verbal agreements are meaningless in business.

You're right to a point, but most business relationships of lasting value are built on a certain amount of trust. If you have to get everything in writing, then you're in a bad place and it's probably time to move on.

DDP talks about meeting Karl Malone and coming up with the idea for the match against Rodman. Bischoff immediately thought it'd be great for Randy Savage and DDP was like "nah. This is my deal."

Punk has every right to be protective of his own private deals and WWE obviously wants to siphon anything they can off their stars and keep them dependent. It's a pretty well known sales trick that as your down line starts making money you get them to immediately spend it on clothes, girls, liquor, cars, to keep them dependent on the job. There's some interview with one of the recent firees that talks about Vince having a real estate hookup in Florida and tries to sell everyone on buying a house to keep them dependent on the job for x amount of years.

DDP talks about meeting Karl Malone and coming up with the idea for the match against Rodman. Bischoff immediately thought it'd be great for Randy Savage and DDP was like "nah. This is my deal."

Punk has every right to be protective of his own private deals and WWE obviously wants to siphon anything they can off their stars and keep them dependent. It's a pretty well known sales trick that as your down line starts making money you get them to immediately spend it on clothes, girls, liquor, cars, to keep them dependent on the job. There's some interview with one of the recent firees that talks about Vince having a real estate hookup in Florida and tries to sell everyone on buying a house to keep them dependent on the job for x amount of years.

Sorry but WTF are you talking about?

There's some interview with one of the recent firees that talks about Vince having a real estate hookup in Florida and tries to sell everyone on buying a house to keep them dependent on the job for x amount of years.

JJ Dillon (who was WWF front office) has said the same thing, except it was in Connecticut.

This thread has derailed into Bizarroland this morning.

Everyone here does realize that NXT and many of the wrestlers live in Florida for tax purposes correct?

That's not what this is about. This is about Vince pushing expenses on guys that they'll then need to keep their jobs for. He wants less Brock Lesnars and more...well, whatever Kofi Kingston is. 

CM Punk says WWE pulled him from a scheduled $20,000 appearance at Wizard World to work a Mexico tour.  Punk says he was paid only $5,000 for the Mexico tour to bump in some brutal hardcore matches.  Punk says he told talent relations he wants his $20,000 for making up for the loss of his Wizard World appearance and they verbally agreed they would pay him at least that much for getting pulled from the Wizard World event.  

I don't get paid half as much as Punk and I can't expect my work to accommodate my side gigs. If I've got a side gig I want to do badly enough, I take a vacation day from work. If they won't let me have a vacation day and tell me they need me, tough apples for me. Priority one is the people who pay your bills.

As far as journalism goes, the best interviews are one where you have your first question in your head and the second question grows organically from there. They always told us in journalism school to have your questions prepared, but that makes things stilted like you're going down a list. In a tangent, that's why I love Craig Ferguson's late-night show on CBS - that's how he seems to do it. That's why I hate the idea of an e-mail interview - do you list five questions and expect your inteviewee to just answer them blap-blap-blap? What fun is that?

Do Austin's lesser-established guests like Wyatt ever pick his brain for advice on the podcast? He's one of the biggest stars ever - I would love to hear what he has to say if I were a young wrestler.

This thread has derailed into Bizarroland this morning.

Everyone here does realize that NXT and many of the wrestlers live in Florida for tax purposes correct?

That's not what this is about. This is about Vince pushing expenses on guys that they'll then need to keep their jobs for. He wants less Brock Lesnars and more...well, whatever Kofi Kingston is. 

Where do you come up with that?  I am interested in hearing your logic.

So buying a condo or house in Florida is pushing expenses on wrestlers?  If I sold real estate and had a McMahon as a contact you could be sure that I would be milking that for additional business.