DVDVR Message Board

Art of Wrestling with Colt Cabana v2.0

Rev Ray

OK, since some people decided to just snipe about the CM Punk interview whether they actually listened to the interview or not, I'm rebooting this.

Original thread here about old episodes.  For your sanity, I suggest stop reading once the 2nd Punk ep comes up, that's a good half of the thread.

So, I'm rebooting the thread.  I'm warning people now, if the Punk sniping comes back here, I will commit mega ultra mass homicide on you.

• Like 1

Ok, but Punk is in next week's episode too (a Q&A actually). So are we not supposed to talk about it once it posts?

Warning still stands.  Figuring out if we will create a different thread for the fall out of that so we can ban all of you who post there... I mean, not sully this thread.

I remember when Punk actually posted here. Under the name xPunkx. He was having a go at a yarder who was "You've never been in the ring"-ing at us about how the Rock was the greatest worker of all time. I think it was the yarder telling AmKickboxer that he'd never been in the ring that really pissed him off.

• Like 1

The story Nova told on the podcast of the time Dreamer tried a over the top rope plancha in ECW but tripped and fall on the floor only for the crowd to chant "nice try Tommy *clap *clap *clap *clap *clap" is riducously funny. That man could do no wrong with that crowd.

I remember when Punk actually posted here. Under the name xPunkx. He was having a go at a yarder who was "You've never been in the ring"-ing at us about how the Rock was the greatest worker of all time. I think it was the yarder telling AmKickboxer that he'd never been in the ring that really pissed him off.

Aw, I missed that!  How's the archiving going?

It's still difficult to access the actual AoW site, though I see the itunes list (I refuse to actually install itunes though) - can anyone recommend any of the recent podcasts, other than the Punk one obv?

Although Colt has obviously decided it was worth the risk, there is a question over how much heat he has with WWE - is anyone hoping for a development deal now going to avoid his show? I hope he's got a good line up of follow-up guests so that he can capitalise on the attention.

Mind Blown ~!

Listened to the actual audio and it made me like Punk. Can't blame him for quitting, I would have around the second "I owe you one". 

Colt is really awful, not as bad as Feinstein but in the neighborhood.

I must be missing something here, because I can't really understand how Colt and Feinstein are anything alike.  Unless you're talking about how they preside over shoot interviews.

I use Downcast for my podcasts on my phone, so it took a good while for the Punk episode to show up on that.  When you refresh feeds on Downcast, it looks for new episodes and downloads them automatically.  This morning, the Punk episode finally showed up... and they must have re-uploaded all the otherepisodes because my download queue exploded to like 190.

I assumed Victator was referring to their interview styles.

If not... I got nothing.  Only other commonality is they both seem adverse to succeeding in business (Colt by insisting on comedy wrestling - "Funny don't draw money" - and RF by running a rather sloppy internet business).

Colt himself admits he doesn't really "interview" people, he has conversations with them.  I think Colt's major weakness is him turning those conversations into stories about himself, but for the most part that's something I've gotten used to and not had a problem with. 

I think the comparison with RF is completely unfair.  Rob seems to have a rigid pattern of the interview having to follow a set structure where with Colt if someone says something odd or off-the-wall, the conversation just flows in that direction.

What's weird is I find Austin, who is from a different generation than me, and is one of the biggest stars of all time far more relatable in his fandom and how he appreciates and interacts with wrestling than I do Cabana who's only a year and a half older than me and probably had a far more similar first 15-16 years of his life as it came to wrestling to me than Austin did..

I'm probably very biased about Colt. I've met him a few times. I actually co-hosted a comedy show with him in Philly, too. He and my brother have become really good friends. Colt's been on his TV show a few times. Colt did a thing a few years ago where he flew out a fan to go to a show with him. He was inspired by my brother who did something similar. Colt's a super guy with a really big heart.

I love Art of Wrestling. I love it because it's a conversation. That's what I want to hear when I listen to wrestling. Wrestlers are interesting because it's such a bizarre, weird performance art and so many workers have really different backgrounds and journeys.

I'm in the journalism business. The best interviews I've ever had are just conversations I later put into quotes. I think the best interviewer in the world is Howard Stern. I also love Terry Gross. Both of them really just have great conversations with people.

I really like Austin, too. Austin's a really sly interview. Colt's an equal with most of his interviews -- they're people with an equitable amount of success, essentially. Sometimes he's not an equal when he interviews legends and people he reveres. Austin, though, is the opposite. He's one of the handful of most successful wrestlers of all-time. People respect him and look up to him. Austin does a good job of using that to get great interviews. The interview with Bray is a great example of this. Bray's never done a 100% shoot (ugh, hate that word) interview with anyone, to my knowledge. There's no surprise to me Bray's first was with Austin. Bray was remarkable talking about developing his character and all that goes into it. It was sort of like he was trying to get approval from Austin for what he's doing.

• Like 1

Most wrestling shoot interviews are so ridiculously squeamish from the questioner's end. There are so many ones where the guy asking the questions seems like he's also holding the camera and can't ask more than three things before turning into The Chris Farley Show. I also love when some twit is wearing an ill-fitting suit acting like Frost/Nixon.

• Like 1