DVDVR Message Board

Art of Wrestling with Colt Cabana v2.0

Rev Ray

Where else would they come from? WWE pretty much refuses to ever debut anyone on TV without first sentencing them to months or years in developmental purgatory. And FCW doesn't exist anymore; why the hell would they want to spend any effort in hyping up a dead company? NXT is what they've currently got, it would be bad marketing and name recognition to give credit anywhere else for producing their new stars. And half those "developmental guys" were already seasoned veterans who spent more time on the indies than they did in FCW; how's it fair to claim they're developmental products in the first place? And finally, of course NXT (as a promotion, not the TV show) hasn't produced many new big stars; it's only been around for two years, and the WWE is notorious with keeping their young prospects in developmental for at least that long. Only incredibly rare exceptions like Bryan or Punk manage to get out of developmental jail in less than a year.

I wonder if there's any money is putting together like 5 one hour shows called "NXT: Roots" and make it the best of FCW? Show Ambrose vs. Regal, Ambrose vs. Rollins, Kidd vs. Kaval.... That kinda thing.

Prichard's Memphis discussion sort of validated something I've been thinking lately the more territory stories I hear on these podcasts.  Memphis wrestling kind of sucked.

Elaborate, please.

Prichard basically stated that "even if you couldn't work, you could still get booked in Memphis" as long as you were willing to take the low payouts from Jarrett or Lawler.  Personally, I feel like as the years go by (and especially as we're hearing more voices from the era through podcasts), Mid-South, World Class, Florida, et al are being given more and more their due at the expense of the Memphis territory.

I find it comical that Jerry Lawler who was co owner of Memphis which I have thought was always an awful territory is very critical of ECW. ECW is awesome I dont care what anybody says. My favorite time in ECW is 97 to the end.

How much of Lawler's hatred of ECW was actually a shoot?  Remember, he had an on-and-off worked feud with ECW that lasted for like a decade.  Lawler's not a Punk type who freely shoots on everything, he tends to keep his real opinions very private more often than not.  Heck, he was notorious for having one of the worst RF shoot interviews because according to him, everyone was a great guy and he refused to bury anyone.  

• Like 1

I was surprised to hear Phil on with Cliff and Colt on the opening segment this week.

Thie Foley interview was not bad, although i dont know if he said anything new about Beyond the Mat or working in Japan.

I thought the stuff about him trying to go back to WCW as a job guy was interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

It came off like that in the beginning but I think he was expecting more of a traditional interview and also it seemed like he was just kidding around with Colt it wasnt a bad interview but it also wasnt the bull session we are use to on The Art Of Wrestling. I thought his comments on Japanese wrestling were interesting I for one did not know Goldberg was such a big fan of the style.

Since Austin and other Wrestling personalities got on the podcast train I stopped listening to his podcasts for some reason but I've gone back to listen to many episodes I've missed over that past year and ahalf for the past 2 weeks. The lattest Cliff Compton episode was classic as is Rip Rogers. His shows go by too quick but at least he doesnt have ads in the middle of his interviews.