DVDVR Message Board

2014-2015 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Since I hadn't mentioned it before and coaching vacancies is the current topic, Columbia's football coach Pete Mangurian has resigned based on allegations of mistreatment of the players, including basically ignoring concussion protocols.

His record at my alma mater was 3-27, including an active 21 game losing streak.  

Don't let your ass hit the door on the way out. 

Since I hadn't mentioned it before and coaching vacancies is the current topic, Columbia's football coach Pete Mangurian has resigned based on allegations of mistreatment of the players, including basically ignoring concussion protocols.

His record at my alma mater was 3-27, including an active 21 game losing streak.  

Don't let your ass hit the door on the way out. 

Happy birthday? :)

• Like 2

It's a step down, if anything.  Not a big step but a step nonetheless.

And based on ESPN's lead-in to their story, I know who's been writing all those phishing emails I've been getting:

Gary Andersen is leaving Wisconsin after two seasons to be the head coaching at Oregon State.

Man, Wisconsin is becoming the best job nobody wants to keep ever. I know admissions standards are high and assistant salaries are low, but it's a ten win job in the richest conference...

With a meddling jackass AD.

Oops. I completely forgot the Mike Haywood debacle. Make that 4 in 5 years for Pitt.

As a Pitt fan I'm happy to see Chryst go as I feel he really isn't a good head coach but the AD is horrible and has screwed up pretty much every coaching hire he's been a part of so I'm frightened on who they're going to hire. 

I know everyone laughs at him but Pitt shouldn't have fired Wanstache, AD Steve Pederson had no replacement lined up so he went with Heywood who's background he never looked into, the snake oil salesman Graham who never planned on unpacking his bags and Chryst seems like a lost puppy on the sidelines. Had they kept the Stache and paid for some top assistants they'd be an 8 to 10 win team.

I also see on some Pitt boards that former Penn State DC Tom Bradley's name is being thrown around, if Pitt hires someone who buried his head in the sand while kids were being raped in the PSU football building all hell will break loose in Oakland.

I'm really hoping they'd go with either Tressel or Peillini but they'll end up hiring some assistant coach who's barely on anyone's radar.

Yeah as someone with a family full of Pitt alums who's been dragged to way too many of their games the past few years, I concur with Happ's take on Chryst. He had a perpetual deer-in-the-headlights feel about him and for a guy who was sold as an offensive genius our offense didn't impress me much considering they have two of the more exciting skill players in the country (James Connor and Tyler Boyd) on the team.

I do disagree with the Tressel or Pellini thing, though. Those guys will just use Pitt to rejuvenate their rep and bolt at the first big name opportunity they get. Pitt needs to stop being used like a stepping stone like some MAC school. They need to find an assistant coach be it in the NFL or college with ties to the city, Pitt or the Steelers that actually has a vested interest in being here. For example, I'd love to see if they could lure somebody like Jim Haslett away from that dumpster fire in Washington.

See, I think that's the wrong mentality to have in college football right now. In today's climate, witht he exception of a handful of elite programs, EVERYBODY's coach is for sale. The Pittiest Pitt guy in the world will leave if the offer and the situation are right. And there are innumerable examples of school's doing more harm than good by retreating to the security of a "(insert school name here) Man." It's a fool's errand. You just gotta hire the best possible guy you can at any given time.

Pitt's problem is that whoever is doing their hiring is apparently a terrible judge of character. That 1-2 punch of Haywood/Graham just killed them. Granted, I'm not sure what one uses to predict that your coach will immediately set to beating on his wife after you hire him, but Graham's track record as a guy always on the lookout for the bigger, better deal was righ there.

Speaking of coaches for sale: Auburn won the Muschamp sweepstakes.

See, I think that's the wrong mentality to have in college football right now. In today's climate, witht he exception of a handful of elite programs, EVERYBODY's coach is for sale.

I wish someone would buy Al Golden.

• Like 1

In other Pelini news, I urge you to seek out the transcript of his spectacularly profane and unprofessional final speech to his Nebraska team.

It's probably not too late for Youngstown to back out of that deal...

Didn't even read a quarter of that but, man, that transcript is just glorious in its unprofessionalism.

That last pic sums up Al Golden and D'Onfrio in a nutshell. 2nd and 2 vs. a team that runs an offense straight out of the 1950's and they have four down linemen, 2lb about 5 yards off the line of scrimmage, 1lb about 8 yards away and the safeties and db's about 10-12 yards away.