DVDVR Message Board
GOTNW

New Japan gets TV deal in US

I remember some people talking months ago that Viceland isn't really suitable channel for pro-wrestling, or am I mistaken here?

They already have two wrestling programs - The Wrestlers, hosted by Damian Abraham of Fucked Up, and Dark Side of the Ring.

Do you mean suitable content wise or availability, or what? Content wise it's just VICE News type stuff, movies, weed/alien shows with rappers and maybe some re-runs of TV shows or something. I'm not sure how many homes it's in, but their viewership is way, way down (lost about 50% viewership going into 2019) and wrestling is kinda hot right now, so New Japan might get their numbers up a little bit. I believe the aforementioned wrestling shows did pretty well, thus a Season 2 being greenlit for DSotR. I don't think The Wrestlers has been renewed (yet), but Damian wants to do another episode and in particular one about AEW.

• Thanks 1

I think Viceland would be fine to host NJPW TV, but Viceland's share and viewership is not what I would call good. Like, Pop would be a better destination. One upside I could see to NJPW being on Viceland is the possibility of the episodes being put up on Hulu.

Reminds me, they could do a hell of a Wrestlers episode on the zombie promotion that is Impact. Given recent events probably a really good on on NOAH, too; he's already got the connections to DDT from prior episodes.