DVDVR Message Board

New Japan gets TV deal in US

GOTNW

They already have two wrestling programs - The Wrestlers, hosted by Damian Abraham of Fucked Up, and Dark Side of the Ring.

Do you mean suitable content wise or availability, or what? Content wise it's just VICE News type stuff, movies, weed/alien shows with rappers and maybe some re-runs of TV shows or something. I'm not sure how many homes it's in, but their viewership is way, way down (lost about 50% viewership going into 2019) and wrestling is kinda hot right now, so New Japan might get their numbers up a little bit. I believe the aforementioned wrestling shows did pretty well, thus a Season 2 being greenlit for DSotR. I don't think The Wrestlers has been renewed (yet), but Damian wants to do another episode and in particular one about AEW.

• Thanks 1

I think Viceland would be fine to host NJPW TV, but Viceland's share and viewership is not what I would call good. Like, Pop would be a better destination. One upside I could see to NJPW being on Viceland is the possibility of the episodes being put up on Hulu.

• 7 months later...
On 12/27/2019 at 9:50 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

It did a lot for a 9-year-old I know who watched that show religiously.  She'll be pretty bummed to not see that anymore.

I know that AXS TV isn't as obscure as other channels but I wonder if it being on that channel hindered them to a degree.  Not saying it should have got TNT but even if it got a channel that was supported by more providers I wonder what good that may have done.  And since it's uncertain if they tracked ratings/demos I wonder what the crossover was between AXS and NJPW World viewers.  If it was practically the same people then I can see it not being worth it to them.

My 7 year old LOVED watching NJPW with me. he became a fan of Naito and would do the Rainmaker pose. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 3:29 PM, Ramo2653 said:

I only watched via AXS because I have it on my cable system (I've oddly had this channel longer than some of the other smaller channels that have had wrestling, like POP, Destination America, El Rey etc). I really liked the early episodes with the interviews before and after the matches to provide context for the matches. Also Mauro and Barnett always seemed hyped as hell for those matches for some reason despite there being a big delay. Nothing will ever beat Mauro's call of Fale's Grenade finisher for me. I probably won't get World because I already have too many subscription services as is. It was fun while it lasted.

Still say that Mauro & Barnett was the best duo in the business at the time. Barnett was a great color man.