DVDVR Message Board

New Japan gets TV deal in US

GOTNW

If Anthem does gives New Japan the ultimatum, either work with impact or get booted off of AXS. And New Japan rightfully tells them to go fuck themselves cuz you should never allow yourselves to bullied into anything, and New Japan gets canceled. What U.S. television channel if any does New Japan end up on?

Since the advent of the station i've been pushing (on this board primarily) for Viceland to air a weekly television show. They have been flirting with the idea of wrestling with Darkside of the Ring, The Wrestlers and various wrestlers showing up on Action Bronson and Danny Browns TV shows maybe IF New Japan gets canceled maybe just maybe Viceland picks New Japan up. 

They can follow a similar format to AXS two hour abridged version of the bigger shows with the uppercard matches on Saturday nights. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Archibald said:

I think we didn't see much growth in 2019 in USA so it probably could be questioned if AXS TV deal was actually doing anything for them anymore.

It did a lot for a 9-year-old I know who watched that show religiously.  She'll be pretty bummed to not see that anymore.

I know that AXS TV isn't as obscure as other channels but I wonder if it being on that channel hindered them to a degree.  Not saying it should have got TNT but even if it got a channel that was supported by more providers I wonder what good that may have done.  And since it's uncertain if they tracked ratings/demos I wonder what the crossover was between AXS and NJPW World viewers.  If it was practically the same people then I can see it not being worth it to them.

My interest has been waning for a while but AXS officially being done totally kills my interest in New Japan... pretty much because it ruins having any access to it. I'm not paying for World. Do they put anything up on Youtube anymore? Highlights? I guess there's always Dailymotion...

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

My interest has been waning for a while but AXS officially being done totally kills my interest in New Japan... pretty much because it ruins having any access to it. I'm not paying for World. Do they put anything up on Youtube anymore? Highlights? I guess there's always Dailymotion...

Quick search shows they mainly have after-match comments and Kevin Kelly explaining some things.  So Dailymotion might be the best bet.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Quick search shows they mainly have after-match comments and Kevin Kelly explaining some things.  So Dailymotion might be the best bet.

Dailymotion is truly the best. I wish I could find more current day joshi stuff, though.

• Like 1

Bittersweet. We all knew this was coming but I don’t think anyone anticipated it happening so soon. It’s. Major drag and has to be a definite hit for the U.S. expansion. I’m sure they are gonna go for it but I wonder how successful it’s going to be without a U.S. Television presence. It doesn’t seem from the looks of things that New Japan is looming for a new U.S. television partnership. I may just end up subscribing to New Japan World, I canceled my WWE Network subscription I have an extra ten bucks.

I just happened to be somewhere with AXS TV so I watched the Final Episode. I think I said this after the New Japan Cup finals but Okada vs Sanada is symphony it’s beautiful to watch. This one was no exception. This one was better than the NJ Cup Final. I like how much Sanada has Okada’s number, he can push Okada to limits not many others can. They are so evenly matched that they both have trouble edging out an advantage as the other keeps coming. It makes for an exciting contest. But at the end Okada hits that rainmaker and the fat lady sings. Plus they just kicked the shit out of each other which is what you really want from a New Japan main event.

• Like 1

As cool as it was to have live US NJPW events on TV, I don't see this as a major loss. 

But I hope this gives NJPW a shot in the arm to give a much needed revamp to NJPW World. The app and service is in bad need of a revamp and actual dedicated international versions. I'm not saying it's easy to do but why can't it be done? Have FITE.TV do it for them.

I think most of the audience they have in the states either already have New Japan World or get the PPVs on FITE. I was watching them on AXStv the first year or so. It was cool getting to watch it with English commentary and getting familiar with the modern talent plus this was in the middle of AJs run and Omega coming in. I switched cable services and I couldn't find AXSTV so I was lapsed for a few years until I got NJPW World a year and a half ago. 

AXS wont be a big loss for them but I do hope the make an effort to get on another network. I image There's so many other companies trying to get on a network even if it's on the level of AXS so I don't think it'll be easy unless they get a crazy amount of buzz with this US expansion.

• Like 1

I only watched via AXS because I have it on my cable system (I've oddly had this channel longer than some of the other smaller channels that have had wrestling, like POP, Destination America, El Rey etc). I really liked the early episodes with the interviews before and after the matches to provide context for the matches. Also Mauro and Barnett always seemed hyped as hell for those matches for some reason despite there being a big delay. Nothing will ever beat Mauro's call of Fale's Grenade finisher for me. I probably won't get World because I already have too many subscription services as is. It was fun while it lasted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, matt925 said:

Man, new japan going solid, get pushed out by impact who implode in weeks, gonna be next to impossible to get a new deal. What a series of events. 

I get what you mean but from what I understand it wasn't IMPACTs decision.  It was Anthems decision. IMPACT had Hopes that New Japan would do business with them eventually. I'm sure anthem decided to just get rid of New Japan altogether seeing how strongly they are against working with them 

The timing of the whole Tessa Controversy probably makes Anthem wish they kept New Japan instead and probably would be enough reason to let go of IMPACT.

With Marty Scurl working to bridge the gap between ROH and NJPW, we will probably be seeing New Japan guys back on ROH tv again soon so that will be good for them to continue their American exposure for New Japan America.

We're way off topic, but, hell, the show is dead anyway.

It's insane: they bought Impact to make sure they didn't lose programming on The Fight Network, then seemingly overspent doing it because that immediately started gutting the news division of Fight.

Impact loses Pop, and they are forced to drop it on... Fuck I already forgot the name of that network they part own. One I'd never heard of and isn't available on my cable system regardless of package you buy, anyway.

After suffering through that for awhile, they go, eh, fuck it, let's buy a bigger TV network to save Impact. Like, the only things that have changed on AXS is they added Impact and dumped New Japan. Insane.

• Like 1

Sorry. I was confused with you saying "impact who implode in weeks" and Brian saying "the show is dead anyway" and thought Impact had lost their AXS deal while I wasn't looking. Just asking what was up, until I came back and re-read and realized he was talking about the New Japan show and you probably were just referencing the Tessa bullshit. Misunderstanding.

• 2 weeks later...