DVDVR Message Board

New Japan gets TV deal in US

GOTNW

• 4 weeks later...

Nakamura/Ibushi last night was really, REALLY good. The difference between it and the six-man previous was night and day. Ibushi cranking up the dickishness and ripping off Swagsuke's mannerisms and moves really made that match. 

Yeah, Ibushi did that in the 2013 G1 match but it didn't come off that great.  Last night, it truly feeled like he was a peer and pissing on Nakamura with his own heelings.  It didn't work, but it was solid.

I'm like 17 episodes behind, in the middle of the G1 climax, and this inexplicable Bad Luck Fale push, this focus on Honma and Shibata, but I can't help but think this is some of my favorite wrestling stuffs to watch right now. I've never been a AJ Styles fan but he's much more tolerable here than anywhere else. Nakamura, Tanahashi and Okada are three fantastic aces I can watch doing anything, even putting over Fale or turning matches with Honma into classics.

Can't wait to see more Kota Ibushi though. That guy is awesome.

Kinda spaced watching the Tanahashi/Okada title match last night, but what I saw was some really good selling from both guys... until the end, where they blow off the legwork completely so Tana can hit another High Fly Flow instead of just MAKING HIM TAP WITH THE FUCKING CLOVERLEAF WHICH WOULD MAKE PERFECT SENSE. Jesus wept, where's the logic? Also, I can do without seeing another Swing Blade ever ever again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After the recent news about Honma I didn't want to watch the match. Go figure, I turn on the external to watch some wrestling instead and end up watching part of a Kanemura match before realizing it. Being a wrestling fan can be fucking weird sometimes.

If you didn't watch any wrestling with wrestlers accused of anything illegal, you'd have to find a new hobby :)

It's not doing illegal shit it's doing morally reprehensible shit that I find troubling. At the same time, I can listen to, say, GG Allin and justify listening to him despite his awfulness because I like the music so much. Those occasions are far and few between with me though (and I know someone reading this is laughing at me for GG Allin being my example there, haha)

New Japan is on AXS TV for New Year's Day, ALL NIGHT LONG! Do yourself a favor and never look up the films of the same name. 

Nakamura/Nagata was pure violence and pretty stellar. Old ass Nagata doing what he did at his age astounds me, it's some Flair/Bockwinkle/Tenryu level shit to be honest. He had to have slept for like a month after that and I'm saying this as just having turned 32 and already feeling old. The match ended perfectly too, 

after a Boma-Ye which looked more like a straight kick to the face. If Nagata was gonna go down you had to do it right and that was the definition of right.

Yuji, we need you around to take Tenryu and Fujiwara's place, please keep being stiff and be way grumpier.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dunno if anyone's been watching this marathon, but I just caught the Suzuki/Sakuraba "UWF Rules" (yeah right) match and it was acceptable, but the translations were the best. 

*slightly paraphrased*

Interviewer: "Why did you shake Sakuraba's hand after this match?"

Suzuki: "Who are you? Okay... why would I you tell you after what I've been through just now? Loser. *sticks tongue out yet again*"

I swear, if this was played on US national TV with subtitles at 4 in the morning on a cable station, they'd kill Raw. Kids would lap it up. Or maybe I would have, if I was, because I'd be waiting for it to air at 6 AM like Ultraman when I was a kid (and always missed it GODDAMMIT)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I couldn't be bothered to watch any of this week's ep but the tag match, which had the usual Yano crap but when Shibata and Sakuraba locked up it went from 0-100 out of nowhere. The final counter was fast as shit and awesome. Then after the match, Yano says he'll turn Tanahashi into a garbage wrestler, and Sakuraba has a boot print on his bare chest. Really worth watching just for those last couple minutes with them trying to twist each other apart at high speed.

• 1 month later...

So, this was the first night of Jim Ross announcing with Warmaster on AXS. It was pretty good, they don't have the same instant chemistry of Mauro and Barnett with the joking and references, but it'll work. It's good to hear JR again (and his The Voice Versus episode before was pretty cool too) and we'll see how this works out. If JR can just if he can loosen up a bit, I think...

Anyway the tag match was okay. YOSHI-HASHI reminds me of a young Kojima, maybe just in appearance, but he hit a really nasty Euro uppercut that I dug. And he has cool shiny pants. Goto/Shinsuke was overkill to the max but I liked it in its own way. Bomb after bomb after bomb after bomb. That usually doesn't work, but here for some reason, it did to me. I'm not gonna overthink it tonight.

What I caught of it was interesting because JR is totally unafraid to call bullshit on something he doesn't like in a match these days. I still think he's getting the hang of it, and I miss Mauro, but it's... interesting. I can see New Japan heads almost getting pissed if his commentary was translated for them. 

Gedo vs. Green Pants/Super Butt/Koshinaka Jr. or whatever he's called was pretty good. The interview was pretty close to it, as well. Jim Ross still seems confused and snarky. As does me talking about this. 

Also, Gedo as a new Tenryu ass-beater for the juniors to replace Liger should be a lock.

WHOA KUSHIDA/O'Reilly was really really really really fucking good. Armwork all the way through from both guys in between trying to kill each other -- KUSHIDA's brains get scrambled off a dropping armlock off the top rope that puts him on his face, O'Reilly takes a disgusting Tiger suplex that looks like it folded his head underneath KUSHIDA's body, there's an apron brainbuster that O'Reilly takes a hilarious spill off of face first to the floor, and at one point KUSHIDA throws a straight right hitting him behind the ear that looks like Mark Hunt hitting Frank Mir. O'Reilly just dropping like that made me think it would be a legit walkoff KO. O'Reilly cuts a really impassioned promo afterwards and Ross finally feels like he was seriously into a match, no screaming and yelling but close enough. Catch this episode!

Oh did I mention that early on O'Reilly channels Finlay and Regal by trying to break KUSHIDA's fingers? That too. Yeah you should see this.

• Like 1

You speak truth, my brother... That was all kinds of incredible. I'm afraid that I'm guilty of writing O'Reilly off as basically a tag guy but he sure proved me wrong. I can't wait to see either (or both) of these guys take on Kenny Omega. You're also quite correct about this being Ross' best outing thus far. I think he's getting acclimated to the NJPW style and becoming more comfortable actually calling a match instead of playing a buffoon for VKM. I still miss Mauro, but he's made Smackdown watchable again, so I suppose it's all good.

• Like 1