DVDVR Message Board

New Japan gets TV deal in US

GOTNW

Love the dude coming into puroresu just now and shitting on a legendary ref.

pr. Mhauro Rhanhallo has his exaggerated announcy voice and it's a bit of an acquired taste (well, a relinquished distaste) and his POODLERESSOU is up there with Matt Striker's, but him and Josh are a sick ass announce team from where I'm sitting and make JR/Striker look like the mailer-inners they KIND OF were at WK9.

• Like 1

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2015/02/new-japan-pro-wrestling-on-axs-tv.html

Yeah I've been snubbing a lot of my normal life interests ever since I found out that pro graps exists in the Orient. Episode 4 of this show was pretty bad. Okada looked horrible in the main, although I liked Makabe more than I remember. Devitt looked hilariously bad in the "highlights" of the Tanahashi match. Rough stuff. I would really like something other than Okada main events at this point.

• Like 1

Missed last week... apparently not too much of a problem. 

Also missed most of the clip of the six-man starting this week. It was extremely surreal seeing Jushin Thunder Fucking Liger on my TV when I didn't put a DVD in as I was walking into the kitchen to take a shot and grab a beer. 

Next week is Nakamura/Ibushi, I wonder if they decided to jump the gun and this is the one from WK9 everyone's been jizzing over? 

Okada/Devitt-o: Devitt is LHW champ and Okada is HW champ. Devitt comes out with no makeup and I'm kind of disappointed, as I've only seen pics of the whole rigamarole. Ha, they crack on Devitt's jacket being a ripoff of Jericho. Barnett: "I had to store lots of food... and water... uh..." For all the shit Mauro (deservedly) gets, his little rundown before the break was flat awesome, then Barnett just kills it with references to the Brady Bill and the Bullet Club "playing under the table", I love him so much. There's some mirror work and then a blatant interference followed by low blow followed by the ringpost cushion getting torn off that all get completely ignored. If you already hate Unno then this isn't gonna make you any happier. Both announcers even say it's bullshit and call Unno out by name. I thought this was NJPW and now we're in main event NWO-era WCW (well, the work is better. maybe AAA if it really pisses you off). Some really, really nasty chops from Devitt before he hits his beautiful tope. I dig the forearm trades with Okada finally pasting him with a stiff European. Okada wipes out the Club with a tope and we're in finisher territory here... time to count the minutes. Oh god now a ref bump. Okay I give up on this, they should have just let Devitt win the match because the footstomp with the chair was the only sensible "chair lays on somebody" piece of offense ever. 

I never want to see the Bullet Club again and I only want to see Okada in a clean match where he doesn't do his five moves of doom. Jado and Gedo, you know better than to steal from the US 1996 Wrestling Playbook in this day and age. 

I love and think the world of Devitt but I found almost all of the Bullet Club shit unwatchable. The constant bullshit in the matches is not remotely want I want when I sit down to watch New Japan. I hated the Devitt/Okada match despite loving both guys the first time I saw it and never bothered to go back and re-watch it, it was my first experience with the Bullet Club nonsense and it was so disappointing.

Yeah, I really disliked when Devitt turned heel and started Bullet Club. I felt it worked better when AJ came on board for whatever reason (besides all the lame "two sweet" and wolf pac stuff). In the months before Devitt formed BC, he seemed to be getting consistently more over as a face. 

I didn't catch last week's episode but I did watch those matches when they happened, and I remember Devitt had a match with Tanahashi several months earlier that was light years better than this one. It was on their anniversary show, I think. The crowd got behind Devitt more and more as the match went on, and Tanahashi started to heel it up. It was great. I wish they'd air that match instead. 

As far as the Makabe/Okada match goes, I remember being pleasantly surprised by it. I don't like Makabe much, but ended up really enjoying this.

Next week is Nakamura/Ibushi, I wonder if they decided to jump the gun and this is the one from WK9 everyone's been jizzing over? 

This will most likely be the match they had from the 2013 G1 tournament. It was incredible. My favorite match of that year.

I really wish they'd stop showing matches with Okada and/or Tanahashi. I want to see other people featured, not just one of those guys versus someone else, or both of them against each other for the 3rd time. C'monnnnnn.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but Josh Barnett said on the MMA Hour that AXS TV is picking up second and third seasons of NJPW.

I think it would be even better if they could somehow arrange event broadcasts with live English commentary as well.  

• Like 1

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2015/02/new-japan-pro-wrestling-on-axs-tv_20.html

Thank goodness we got a little Okada vacation this week. Each of his matches they've shown have been worse than the previous one. I mean I don't understand showing a Tenzan singles match on TV, but at least we also got the best puro match of 2013.  

I can see why they'd pick him to feature in Japan, like a 3-4 time G1 winner, 3 time champ, 10 time tag champ blahblahbloo...

It'd be awesome if they could work with NJ and put together their own cuts instead of just dubbing the WPW show. Maybe next season? (Probably not.)

Guest The Magnificent 7

Really liked this week's show.  My boys watch it with me weekly now, and I liked Kojima and Tenzan being on the show since I could tell them about them considering they were more major players back when I was watching heavily.  Was surprised how good a shape Kojima was in, and enjoyed his match with Smith Jr. 

Nakamura / Ibushi was awesome.  My boys were oohing and ahhing many times throughout the match and there were some awesome moments.  Everyone we were rooting for throughout the show lost, though. 

I missed the show again this week (this is a recurring theme) but checked out Nakamura/Ibushi based on Eric's review and damn, that was a good match. Ibushi might be flippy but everything he does looks like it hurts when he lands it. Red Shoes stayed out of the way, probably because he realized in a match with those two dudes and their facial expressions he couldn't steal their heat if he tried. Nakamura's surprise Backstabber made me lol. Speaking of everything someone does looking like it hurts, every single one of those knees and stomps he did were just murderous. For a weird hipster who thought stealing Blacky from Voivod's hairstyle was an appropriate fashion statement, I'd still take that guy as my partner in a bar fight over most anybody else in a second flat.

Tanahashi/Naito from this episode was miles better than any of the Okada matches they've played. Look ma, actual limb selling and psychology! Naito comes in with a wrecked knee and it gets tortured again and again by Tanahashi, including a nasty high-angle Texas cloverleaf. You won't find any no-selling to run the ropes here. Naito works on Tana's neck the whole time as well and the end comes sensibly without any overkill. That dragon suplex was especially brain-shattering. Really, really good match from someone who I've always thought was overrated and someone I have legit never seen wrestle before. 

Next week we get Nakamura vs. Marufuji (yuck). It should be fun watching the crazy hipster knee the living piss out of Flip Boy. 

Limb selling and psychology and Naito in the same sentence? lolol. That usually isn't the case. Naito has been getting a little better with that though. I disagree with this being better than the Okada matches. I do think though that Okada vs Naito from 2012 is one of the best things ever. Kinda sad how much he's fallen off since that match. 

Marufuji hasn't really been a "flip boy" in years. That match was pretty good if I recall. 

• Like 1

The match was pretty back and forth if I'm remembering it right. I like Maru. But his style has changed mostly because of him being broken down. I thought he stepped it up in the ring around this time.

I actually like Naito too, but yeah, he is usually known for terrible selling and blank stares. But then outta nowhere he'll have a match where his selling is top notch. That's rare though.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2015/02/new-japan-pro-wrestling-on-axs-tv_28.html

I thought this was a pretty horrible match this week, with almost all of that attributed to Naito. This guy is a total zero. No sort of charisma, total blank slate of a face, no good at building a logical match. I loved one moment early one where Tanahashi shot him into the ropes and Naito did an incredibly realistic collapse. The problem was that meant he was already selling his knee as if he couldn't put any weight at all on it, and it was only a few minutes into a long match. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

I liked the match, and that was an awesome Stardust Press to finish the match.  There was a blown spot with both guys running the ropes, but they and the announcers did a good job of covering for it, talking up the toll the tournament had taken on them to that point the whole match.  Naito and Tanahashi both did a good job of selling the grind of the tournament, I thought, throughout the match. 

My boys were split on who they were rooting for, eldest boy was for Tanahashi while myself and my youngest were for Naito.  Well, every commercial break he would change it up depending on who was winning at the time, but what can you do.  He finally settled for Naito so he was pretty happy there at the Stardust Press and the 1, 2, 3.  My daughter even watched this one, she was asking a ton of questions mostly about "doesn't that hurt?"