DVDVR Message Board

New Japan gets TV deal in US

GOTNW

Yeah, didn't he start out calling wrestling? Like that awful Schiavello duder? (The "goodnoite oireen" guy.) Except Mauro is pretty dope & Josh on there is gonna make it work anyway.

three more comments follow exactly like the one I did a mere seven posts earlier, I swear to god some of you can't read haha

I need to get this channel into my rotation now.  NJPW without dealing with Daily Motion, FUCK YES!

Good luck.  Used to have HDNet, but it was taken off TWC pretty quickly.  No one there cares about AXS TV.  

Getting the weekly ROH show and the DREAM and Sengoku events live was nice for a while though.  

If this can all lead to NJPW becoming the legit No. 2 to WWE, I fully support moves like this.  

GOD, DAN THE MOUTH IS SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED! IT'S A SHAME HE'S SO SUBDUED!

it's surreal - they call the early goings like it's the finish already

they settle down a little bit, but I'm really not feeling it

• 1 month later...

I guess its best to talk about this here. 

Ranallo needs to tone down a bit, but Warmaster is totally comfortable and meant for the role. Great work from both guys anyway. 

The opening brawl was fun and was enough to show what some of the undercard has going, give the guys some identity. 

Main (and I have to say, I haven't watched a Goto match since maybe 2009? '10?) was pretty good. I wasn't feeling Okada, who I've never seen, before, but his selling towards the end won me over. Lots of cool reversals and just a neat match, something I never ever expected to see in English on US television, and the breaks were making me itch for more immediately. When Mauro namedropped Misawa and Hash I got misty, it felt like the greater culture somehow and someway acknowledging this insane niche obsession you've had for years and never expected and it moved me. Awesome moment.

Yeah after watching most of Tana/Okada it looks like their timeline is fucked. You think they would progress to Okada/Suzuki, but they jumped over to Okada losing the belt and challenging for the NJ Cup? I'm confused. They also mentioned Okada losing to Suzuki so I dunno. Puro magicians here, weave your spell...

(BTW, every time Ranallo pronounces "puroresu", I want to punch him)

(also, I still don't like Tanahashi)

They were referring to Okada losing to Suzuki in February of 2013, prior to the title win. They were playing up his title defense vs. Suzuki as revenge.

So far the episodes have gone chronologically starting at the 2013 WK and moving forward.

Mauro and Josh are good on commentary, but what I'm enjoying more than anything thus far are the subtitles.

The second episode tonight, Tanahashi defends against Okada, isn't the same one from last week, right?

Correct. The commercial is stupid, and refers to it as an "encore", but they are two separate Tanahashi/Okada matches.

Turned on Tanahashi/Okada tonight and after a few minutes my wife suddenly says "What is this?  This isnt WWF...this is amazing.  These guys look fantastic."

A few minutes later I'm explaining to her about "selling the arm" which is, of course, something she's never seen someone do watching me wathc WWE.

It was the first time I can ever remember her putting down a magazine to watch a wrestling match.  As we were talking and watching she asked me to find more on Youtube. 

We watched an Aja Kong match and about halfway through she says "I like how she's still selling the leg."

I just about spooged.

• Like 7

He did start out as a wrestling announcer. I remember him calling the Stampede re-boot in the 1990's, and he was good, because he was passionate about it. Not sure if he's still passionate about wrestling these days.

Mauro used to appear on The Score (now Sportsnet 360) during their Right After Wrestling shows with Renee Paquette (Young) and Jimmy Korderas, and he shit on pretty much everything they did every week, and he eventually was replaced or quit. If he's hoping NJPW leads to something bigger, he better hope nobody in WWE remembers his stint on that show. :)

It was Renee and Arda Ocal at the time. Mauro was such an embarrassment on that show, it's made me not want to watch AXS. It's one thing to disagree with their opinions, but they were likable hosts and you had this asshole screaming at them for half an hour. It was truly awful. I'm sure they were planning on getting  rid of him anyway since he was a raging lunatic, but he swore on-air and that would have sped up the process. 

He did start out as a wrestling announcer. I remember him calling the Stampede re-boot in the 1990's, and he was good, because he was passionate about it. Not sure if he's still passionate about wrestling these days.

Mauro used to appear on The Score (now Sportsnet 360) during their Right After Wrestling shows with Renee Paquette (Young) and Jimmy Korderas, and he shit on pretty much everything they did every week, and he eventually was replaced or quit. If he's hoping NJPW leads to something bigger, he better hope nobody in WWE remembers his stint on that show. :)

It was Renee and Arda Ocal at the time. Mauro was such an embarrassment on that show, it's made me not want to watch AXS. It's one thing to disagree with their opinions, but they were likable hosts and you had this asshole screaming at them for half an hour. It was truly awful. I'm sure they were planning on getting  rid of him anyway since he was a raging lunatic, but he swore on-air and that would have sped up the process. 

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I heard that Mauro is maybe autistic or some such?  That would definitely explain alot.  Also, he literally retweets anything that mildly puts him over.  Nice enough guy on Twitter though.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I'll have to check it out, I've had HDNET & then AXS TV forever.  I can't stand Mauro, though, on Showtime boxing telecasts.  He talks so fucking loud you want to tell him all about the concept of inside voice and how microphones have a purpose.  Or hope that Paulie Malignaggi punches him out.

Hopefully he's better calling the graps.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Set the DVR to record episode 3 this Friday.  Are they showing juniors action on this hour show format?

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2015/01/new-japan-pro-wrestling-on-axs-tv_30.html

Liked the match just fine, although never would have guessed this was the "match of the year". I actually liked the one from 1/4 more. Really think Mauro is a mixed bag as he provides some great information in an easily digestible way, but then he starts screaming and gets really hyperbolic and I think he's horrible. I also officially hate Red Shoes Unno. I hate refs having a "personality" or gimmick, and whatever the hell his deal is gets way too intrusive. 

Yeah that dude needs to learn his role. There are times when he just steps right in front of the camera and blocks the view for no reason, as if it's not annoying enough with him hamming it up with the big gestures. And it's not even his face, it'll just be a shot of his leg in the frame. Towards the end he was really taking me out of the match. 

Match was fine but Okada was selling the arm too much, too early. I know we always complain about selling in NJ but he could have been more subtle and gradual about having a problem with the arm. From the first time Tanahashi hits it it's like he's had a prior injury we didn't know about. Also, I don't know if Okada was intentionally fucking up that hold as it looked like he was kind of pumping his neck. Maybe he was trolling the crowd. Who knows, it didn't look great anyway. 

So yeah, instead of getting to see Okada vs. Suzuki, we get Okada vs. "Tougi" Makabe. No fair.