DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: ART BARR

RIPPA

RIP, Art.

This is how I like to remember our fallen homey.

artbarrboxylucha.jpg

Crazy As Hell..

Art and Eddie make the absolute greatest heel entrance of all times in that tag match with Santo and Octagon.  Mark mentioned the Hase / Sasaki vs Mutoh / Chono 1991 title change as being the perfect tag match.  I think it is mine too, but Gringos Locos vs. Santo / Octagon is a really close second.

Rippa takes the good Love Machine matches and leaves me with the Juicer years.  At least he had this little gem of a match when Moondog Rex decide to grace the Southern territories with the imprint of his boots.

Why is the Buddy Landell / Moondog Rex vs. Juicer / Trucker Norm blow off match not a thing on the Youtubes?  That sounds like a magificent train wreck that I'd have to watch.

Ha!  That was the vid I was going to post first so I had already done the Control-V capture, daddy!

Here is the newly transformed Art Barr working Ed Moretti. 

I refuse to acknowledge Ed Moretti's moniker  If it doesn't have ripped jeans or blonde hair, it ain't a Moondog to me.

Scotty Levy / Raven's commentary is fucking king sized in that match especially the poke at Gorilla Monsoon's match calling. 

THAT HAS GOT TO HURT THE LUMBAR REGION~!

It has just occurred to me that Art Barr, Larry Cameron, and maybe Haku / Meng may have been the only workers in recorded history to wrestle complete or partial matches while still wearing a doo rag.

I remember watching the When Worlds Collide tag somewhere and:

A. Being totally puzzled by this weird edit toward the end that makes no sense.

B. Thinking "holy shit, Art Barr could've been a superstar." He had the mannerisms, the moves, the charisma, all of that. Everybody though of Eddie as a charismatic guy, especially toward the end of his career, but Barr just had IT in spades. HIs Wiki said they were negotiating to come to the states and work for ECW or WCW, and they would've been awesome either place and wound up being stars. Funny how things work.

Here's the match with Tonya Harding at ringside. Damn that is long, I hope it has a lot of Panther and Art to make it worthwhile. 

I never really knew why they called it a frog splash until I saw Barr's in the AAA mask/hair tag. It's because -- duh -- he looks like a giant fucking frog flying through the air. Not even Eddy really nailed the pump action that put the 'frog' in the 'splash'. 

As for his sexual proclivities I think it's best not to speak ill of the dead in this circumstance

That incident certainly clouds my feelings towards Barr as a person and it colors my opinion about his work.  It may sound cruel, but ultimately I feel sorry for Barr because he was his own worst enemy.  I also feel sorry for his victim because she never got the justice she deserved.

As far as tragic icons of wrestling go, I find it easier to watch Barr's matches than I do Benoit's.  I watch Love Machine and lament for what could've been if Barr had not sabotaged his career with poor choices.  

I cannot watch Benoit's matches because I know that every flying headbutt is a brick on the path to the loss of his sanity and the destruction of his entire family. 

At least when Barr finally imploded, he had the decency to limit the collateral damage to himself.