DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 57: Edgar vs. Swanson (11/22/2014) - Austin, TX (Frank Erwin Center)

Elsalvajeloco

419px-UFN_57_event_poster.jpg

UFC Fight Night 57: Edgar vs. Swanson 

November 22, 2014

Austin, TX (Frank Erwin Center)

Frankie Edgar (145) vs. Cub Swanson (145.8) - Edgar, SUB (rear naked choke), R5 (4:56)

Bobby Green (155.4) vs. Edson Barboza (155) - Barboza, DEC (unanimous)

Brad Pickett (126) vs. Chico Camus (125.6) - Camus, DEC (split)

Jared Rosholt (240) vs. Oleksiy Oliynyk (235) - Oliynyk, KO (punches), R1 (3:21)

Joseph Benavidez (125.6) vs. Dustin Ortiz (125.6) - Benavidez, DEC (unanimous)

Matt Wiman (155.4) vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg (156) - Wiman, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Ruslan Magomedov (246) vs. Josh Copeland (264) - Magomedov, DEC (unanimous)

Luke Barnatt (185.4) vs. Roger Narvaez (185.4) - Narvaez, DEC (split)

James Vick (155.8) vs. Nick Hein (154.2) - Vick, DEC (unanimous)

Yves Edwards (154.6) vs. Akbarh Arreola (155.6) - Arreola, SUB (armbar), R1 (1:52)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Paige VanZant (114.6) vs. Kailin Curran (115.6) - VanZant, TKO (punches), R3 (2:54)

Juan Manuel Puig (145.6) vs. Doo Ho Choi (145.8) - Choi, TKO (punches), R1 (0:18)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Oleksiy Oliynyk

Performance of the Night: Frankie Edgar

Fight of the Night: Paige VanZant vs. Kailin Curran

Attendance: 10,131

Gate: $670,022

Rating: 903,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:

None

Looking forward to the VanZant/Curran fight.  

Actually excited to see Matt Wiman make a return.  He hasn't fought in almost two years, was concerned he might've walked away from the sport or something.  

Honestly torn with Edgar/Swanson.  Could see it going a number of ways.  Swanson is just a far cry from the mediocre talent he used to be.  And he tends to do well against fighters who were solid lightweight fighters.

I don't think Cub was ever mediocre. I think the Pulver and Aldo fights cloud people's views on his career. Before those fights, he was a prospect on the rise. That's why Pulver upsetting him was a big deal at the time. He was a talented guy whose career just couldn't turn the corner for some reason. Some of that could be accredited to him not being at a good gym for smaller fighters in CSW. Then he ran into the litany of injuries. What's funny is Melvin Guillard, another guy who fits that same description, beat him up badly in sparring enough to cause some of those injuries. Joining up with Jackson's did prove to be great for his career after that one sparring setback. Adding a real boxing coach, Joel Diaz, also helped him out tremendously.

• Like 1

This is a good card on paper. Sucks Doo Ho Choi is on the Fight Pass prelims though. That kid is a beast and the top Korean prospect in the world.

Him and Kyoji Horiguchi used to be the top 2 unsigned Asian prospects, but the UFC eventually picked them up both.

He also looked pretty gassed after that initial flurry.  

Man, that main event was just brutal to watch.  Reminded me of the Lone Redskin scene from South Park earlier this season.  Still, a good win for Edgar since he beat up one of the studs of the division and not an emaciated, decrepit BJ Penn this time.  

I would book Mendes vs. Edgar next and give McGregor the next shot if he beats Siver.  But it will all depend on who is healthy and who isn't injured.

Edgar vs. Mendes is a much more interesting fight since they're way above everyone else in the division, yet neither can beat the champ.

Yeah you can have Connor and his great promos but until he fights Edgar or even Cub Swanson he is just hype to me

When they said that the reason they didn't put Paige VanZant in the Ultimate Fighter show was because she wasn't 21 and not old enough to drink I thought it was completely stupid but looking how all except 3 or 4 of the women on the show has come off like stupid petty bitches maybe it is a good thing NOT to be on the show

Yeah you can have Connor and his great promos but until he fights Edgar or even Cub Swanson he is just hype to me

When they said that the reason they didn't put Paige VanZant in the Ultimate Fighter show was because she wasn't 21 and not old enough to drink I thought it was completely stupid but looking how all except 3 or 4 of the women on the show has come off like stupid petty bitches maybe it is a good thing NOT to be on the show

I thought the reason was because of her injury.