DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXVIII

Dolfan in NYC

As rushed together as the 4-way was, they managed to tell a really fun story.

They weren't lying when they said the main event was going to be memorable. Fantastic storytelling from beginning to end.

Rusev came off like a true main event monster and Ziggler managed to hijack someone else's rocket. (Also, loved that everyone involved seem to have started taking acting lessons from Ambrose.)

• “Let's open on Cena and Hunter cutting bad promos for twelve minutes.”

• Gold/Stardust have been quiet All-Stars this year.

• JBL praising Aja Kong and burying the mid-90s of the division was something.

• Ambrose kisses Bray. Wyatt cuts a weeping promo in the middle of the match where Bray confesses he's in love with Dean, or that they're at least BFFs who could have ruled the world.

• Hunter's streak of falling asleep during his own battle cry promos (and those of other people) continues.

• Calling opponents “bitches” (Reigns' promo) and that Nikki-AJ match: the Attitude era is back, nerds!

• Rollins has had the briefcase four months, but it feels like a year.

• Bold choice from Rowan to take a Bright Eyes instrumental as his music.

• Fitting that this show end with Hunter and Steph stumbling around and screaming. They pulled the ripcord to get themselves off TV.

Dolph's comeback is up there as one of my favorite Survivor Series performances. The only one I think I enjoyed more was Bam Bam Bigelow beating King Kong Bundy and the One Man Gang before being pinned by Andre.

Indeed. I was also thinking HBK beating Christian & Jericho before being pinned by Orton.

In fact, that's what makes the main event even better.

The 3-on-1 where the face valiantly fights for a good while (and eliminates 2) before falling to the last heel is kinda cliche and expected.

Dolph actually won! Mind. Blown.

My top 5 favorite things from the PPV.

5. flip flop Rusev

4. Jerry Lawler trying to get his lame SOB joke over 7 times.

3. Step and Hunter's faces when Henry git KO'D.

2. The Brayline

1. Cena coming out to hug Dolph

Good PPV. I like the Ambrose/Bray match. Main was fun. Sting was cool, but they probably should have figured out a better way to finish without the 2 guys in the match laying around for 20 minutes.

Funny thing is, I actually went on a rant how having Cena going out early and his team winning anyway was the best way to end the show, putting over, say, Dolph to set him up for challenging Lesnar for the title at the Rumble. It would actually set a direction for a company that hasn't had one. Them said there was no chance the E would be that gutsy.

Well played.

• Like 1

So is Cena being "the only man who can bring the authority back" going to be a future angle or forgotten? BAH GAWD CENA HEEL TURN BY BRINGING THE AUTHORITY BACK!

I enjoyed the show overall. Main event was good, Bray and Deano were throwing clotheslines like beasts, Mizdow act is going to have a limited shelf life so doing something with it now is smart.

I was never much of a Stinger fan but his debut was cool. He did look old as shit though, and he is. I actually think if they are going for one epic Mania match Hunter is the right way to go.

Dolph looked like a star.

Rusev is the best. He took that face first table bump like the hero of the Russian federation that he is.

Rowan's spinkick was nice. He and Harper hossing it up was fun.

Fucking Big Show...Andre never cried you pussy. He would be ashamed to call you his fake son.

Cameron isn't just bad, her lack of a clue in the ring is going to get someone hurt.

Disgusting male chauvinist thoughts: Emma looked amazing...kinda like the new thing Nattie is doing with her hair...I hate to fall into the stereotypical "guys love giant fake boobs" categorybit damn Nikki Bella....just...damn...

5. flip flop Rusev

Hahahaha I noticed that too.

I think Fandango's performance was slept on - he definitely looked a bit snugger and I thought the release suplex-slam was really quite nice. I think Rosa is underrated as a heel presence (see Zack Ryder, Primo/Epico), so I think there's something here - though I am not sure he's getting a push and there's only so far you can go beating Gabriel, especially now it's a new day for Xavier/Kofi/BigE 

Roman Reigns playing a pandering bad-ass reminds me of Keanu Reeves in action movies. He's technically fine, but you just feel like the whole time he's thinking about how he's going to smoke a bowl and try to impress the cute chick working catering by quoting Gary Snyder as soon as they yell "Cut!"

Or, put more succinctly: he's like the Glee cover version of the Rock.

Weird to put Fandango-Gabriel so early as the arena was practically empty.

The boyhood dream has come true for Damien Mizdow.  His first championship in WWE, if you can believe that.

The women's elimination tag was messy at times but I was mostly happy with the outcomes.  Glad to see Naomi shine and Emma not get eliminated.  Kidd's douchey post-match celebration was only magnified by the fact that Nattie didn't score any eliminations herself.

Count me as one who liked Ambrose-Wyatt.

On the list of Heath Slater's most humiliating defeats...that one MIGHT crack the top ten.

This wouldn't be the first time in the past year that I wondered if A.J. was leaving.  Nikki Bella's the first titleholder other than A.J. or Paige since Kaitlyn and that was a year and a half ago.

JBL said Cena was the sole survivor for his team at his first Survivor Series in 2003.  He wasn't, but we don't talk about the other guy any more.

Show turns heel.  Must be November.  Or just Sunday.

I marked out for Sting as much as anybody.

Yes, Dolph Ziggler won a WWE PPV main event.

My son and I haven't watched much Raw lately, but we've been watching NXT regularly. He's absolutely riveted by Sami Zayn's Road to Redemption storyline. Watching the Survivor Series, he was all aboard Team Cena and going completely bonkers though out. When Show turned and it was 3-on-1 against Dolph, he got really discouraged because Ziggler never wins the big one, just like Sami Zayn. I gently reminded him of title wins against Edge and Del Rio, and beating Cena in a ladder match. "But he's lost so many times!" he said. "If he really pulls this off, he'll be a true legend!" When Ziggler kept nearly pulling it off, he was losing his mind. When Sting appeared he was a little confused until I told him that Sting was all about righting wrongs, he got it. He lost his mind when Dolph pinned Rollins, and then he said, "If Dolph can do it, so can Sami Zayn!"

I love my son.

• Like 23

Weird to put Fandango-Gabriel so early as the arena was practically empty.

The boyhood dream has come true for Damien Mizdow. His first championship in WWE, if you can believe that.

The women's elimination tag was messy at times but I was mostly happy with the outcomes. Glad to see Naomi shine and Emma not get eliminated. Kidd's douchey post-match celebration was only magnified by the fact that Nattie didn't score any eliminations herself.

Count me as one who liked Ambrose-Wyatt.

On the list of Heath Slater's most humiliating defeats...that one MIGHT crack the top ten.

This wouldn't be the first time in the past year that I wondered if A.J. was leaving. Nikki Bella's the first titleholder other than A.J. or Paige since Kaitlyn and that was a year and a half ago.

JBL said Cena was the sole survivor for his team at his first Survivor Series in 2003. He wasn't, but we don't talk about the other guy any more.

I also caught JBL's history re-write. In the long run, Cena was the sole survivor...and he snagged Nikki Bella without putting a ring on her finger.

Steph finally shows ass and it's perfect.

Finally? I know her character is protected more than most but she was thrown face first it to a paddling pool of what they tried to sell as shit a couple of months ago. That being said, yeah she was great here.

Steph was also great when Brie Bella got over on her a few times, too. I was a big fan of: "I'll get you all!" and "I"ll have your badges!"

Her limiting the amount of time she showed ass makes each time she does that much better.

I had to look it up but Sandow has indeed never held any WWE titles, unless you count FCW and OVW where he was TV, tag, heavyweight champ a couple different times. Also had no idea he worked in WWC and held titles there too. I was thinking the Money in the Bank briefcase getting thrown in the river was the IC title like a fool (did anyone else even remember that?). 

So is Cena being "the only man who can bring the authority back" going to be a future angle or forgotten? BAH GAWD CENA HEEL TURN BY BRINGING THE AUTHORITY BACK!

I enjoyed the show overall. Main event was good, Bray and Deano were throwing clotheslines like beasts, Mizdow act is going to have a limited shelf life so doing something with it now is smart.

I was never much of a Stinger fan but his debut was cool. He did look old as shit though, and he is. I actually think if they are going for one epic Mania match Hunter is the right way to go.

Dolph looked like a star.

Rusev is the best. He took that face first table bump like the hero of the Russian federation that he is.

Rowan's spinkick was nice. He and Harper hossing it up was fun.

Fucking Big Show...Andre never cried you pussy. He would be ashamed to call you his fake son.

Cameron isn't just bad, her lack of a clue in the ring is going to get someone hurt.

Disgusting male chauvinist thoughts: Emma looked amazing...kinda like the new thing Nattie is doing with her hair...I hate to fall into the stereotypical "guys love giant fake boobs" categorybit damn Nikki Bella....just...damn...

Wouldn't surprise me if he has to bring HHH "back" so he can wrestle Sting at Mania. 

The women's elimination tag was messy at times but I was mostly happy with the outcomes.  Glad to see Naomi shine and Emma not get eliminated.  Kidd's douchey post-match celebration was only magnified by the fact that Nattie didn't score any eliminations herself.

That was nice as well regarding Kidd and Nattie.  There was a lot to like about the women's SS match but it is a shame the announcers crapped all over it.  Would it have hurt to put a little effort into it?

By this logic, Macho Man is still in the 1992 Royal Rumble. 

Was that the one when he maybe did or didn't self eliminate by jumping over the top rope? Also did Maven ever get eliminated for his first Royal Rumble when Taker killed the poor kid.

• Like 1

The crowd's reaction to the Purgatory Special was to chant for Mizdow. We all heard that. Let's move on before WWE gets the idea to put Sandow in a wig and have him mimic everything Paige does.

At least it'd get over more than Paige does.

That was nice as well regarding Kidd and Nattie.  There was a lot to like about the women's SS match but it is a shame the announcers crapped all over it.  Would it have hurt to put a little effort into it?

I thought the announcing last night was terrible. Particularly during the women's match. Either the match was a disorganized mess where nothing made sense or the divas were trying to tell a story which the announcers chose to ignore.

What cracks me up about the announcing is that there is no distinction between weekly television and a ppv. While the announcing is annoying on a Raw there is some logic (which i disagree with) why they are constantly reminding people who the wrestlers are, what happened last month, last week, etc. People are flipping channels and it is entirely possible someone watching missed the beginning of the show or didn't watch last week.

I'm watching survivor series last night and it occurred to me. Every single person watching this ordered the ppv. They know who the wrestlers are. They know what happened last week on Raw. They know what happened last month at hell in a cell. They are well aware of the storylines. So, why does the viewer have be force fed the same robotic garbage over and over again?

• Like 1