DVDVR Message Board

Stuff that Happened in Older Movies That Wouldn't Happen Now

RonL21

Not a movie but I still watch a lot of Married..with Children and I feel like the "fat girl" humor might not make it to TV these days. I don't know. I don't watch a lot of network TV so maybe it would. Al was relentless :lol:

Watching Growing Pains is incredibly hard because of all the fat jokes, knowing how the show messed up Tracey Gold for decades.  I mean, yeah, it's not a great show to begin with but knowing the real-life effects of it?  Ugh.

The "Woman gets scared and goes hysterical, so the hero slaps her to calm her down" spot would never happen anymore. The parody of it in Airplane makes less sense. Also, look at all the smoking in Ghostbusters. It's basically every scene someone or other has got a fag in their mouth.

They release classic episodes of Sesame Street on DVD with an "Adults Only" label on the cover, which I find pretty hilarious.

That stems from a film they did where kids are playing on a construction site/garbage dump to show the concepts of "over, under, around and through". I understand why they labelled it, but it seems pretty tame in th grand scheme.

when i see people smoking in businesses and the like i'm always thrown off. i'm not a smoker, but it's been against the law for quite a while now so it never even crosses my mind. 

me & some friends watched Monster Squad a few months back and we were all shocked by how vulgar it was. awesome, tho.

Mike and Molly disagrees. Also TBBT, Modern Family, Mulaney, Marry Me, Brooklyn 99, probably 2 1/2 Men, 2 Broke Girls, etc. Etc.

Here's a topical one - a Batman movie that doesn't have some flashback to his parents' death/his training. I think Batman '66 was the last one.

I was watching 'Gremlins 2' the other day and Gedde Watanabe turns up in it as a stereotypical Asian tourist snapping a million photographs, even in the face of danger and I laughed and said "Boy that's an old-fashioned stereotype" then I turned the TV off and '2 Broke Girls' (Which I have NEVER watched!) was on and they had a Korean manager and the big joke was that he wanted to add one of the girls on Facebook and when he did there were a million photographs with her tagged in them and I went "Huh, apparently stereotypical depictions of Asians have not changed in 21 Fuckin' Years.  Awful.

Anything from a Buster Keaton flick where a star is doing stunts so dangerous that it should get them killed. Like in The General where he's riding on the front of an actual train.

Thinking of the Police Academy movies, you probably couldn't do the Blue Oyster Bar scenes today without backlash for sterotyping.

• Like 1

The Fast and The Furious - A gang of street racers use a fleet of tricked out show cars (as well as some high end grappling guns) in order to steal DVD PLAYERS to sell on the black market and fund their expensive habits.

DVD PLAYERS!

• Like 1

Anything from a Buster Keaton flick where a star is doing stunts so dangerous that it should get them killed. Like in The General where he's riding on the front of an actual train.

I'm trying to recall the details but there was some movie(s) in the 20s or 30s where the director would do awful stuff to the child actors without telling then so as to get real reactions. The story I recall was something about kids running and tripping over a wire they didn't know was there. Something like that.

I'm trying to recall the details but there was some movie(s) in the 20s or 30s where the director would do awful stuff to the child actors without telling then so as to get real reactions. The story I recall was something about kids running and tripping over a wire they didn't know was there. Something like that.

Yeah back then they could do what ever and get away with it. Also apparently with scenes involving guns, they would use real bullets because blanks and squibs cost too much.

Cagney's first film upon returning from New York was 1932's Taxi!. The film is notable for not only being the first time that Cagney danced on screen, but it was also the last time he allowed himself to be shot at with live ammunition (a relatively common occurrence at the time, as blank cartridges and squibs were considered too expensive and hard to find to use in most motion picture filming). He had been shot at in The Public Enemy, but during filming for Taxi!, he was almost hit.

I think the only Bond movie I've actually seen is 'Goldfinger' and it was totally because my friend was telling me how un-PC it was with Bond using a girl as a human shield and the whole part where he slaps the girl on the ass and says "Man talk" to get her to leave.

"Give me the amulet, you bitch!" - Dracula to a four year old little girl, The Monster Squad

The best and most hilarious part in such a surprisingly wicked and radical movie. The thumbs up is second. Fuck, I love that movie.

I know it's not the original intent of the thread starter, but even things like long takes are so rare these days that they stand out big time when they do happen. Like some of the takes in No Country For Old Men were incredible because they let the scene breathe without ridiculous cuts and editing.