DVDVR Message Board

Stuff that Happened in Older Movies That Wouldn't Happen Now

RonL21

I'm guessing the hazing scenes by seniors in Dazed and Confused wouldn't be tolerated with all the stories about sports hazing in high school.  Also, would Coach Bombay calling the Hall brothers and Germaine in The Mighty Ducks "Oreo Line" (a name they gave themselves) be ok? 

It's fine unless you're a little cake eater punk.

• Like 1

The entire "The Goonies" movie. Fuck it. They would've googled who the hell was One Eye Willie and why they should care; had GPS to not get lost; and Chunk would've texted Mikey that "THEY'RE COMING!" The topper would be the whole thing would be on CNN or Fox News non stop. Esp since there was TWO white girls in the group.

Surprised no one has brought up The Jazz Singer. Oh my the shit storm..

Surprised no one has brought up The Jazz Singer. Oh my the shit storm..

Then again, Bamboozled had a pretty similar plot about pretty similar material.  Of course, that one was made by Spike Lee and was attacking the minstrel show rather than celebrating it, but it still featured self-doubting stage performers in blackface.  

The "John and Patrick Wayne teach Maureen O'Hara/Stefanie Powers to be good wives through public humiliation/spankings" stuff from McLintock! probably would be frowned upon these days...really to do any kind of "Taming Of The Shrew" story these days you have to adapt it at least as liberally as 10 Things I Hate About You...

The "John and Patrick Wayne teach Maureen O'Hara/Stefanie Powers to be good wives through public humiliation/spankings" stuff from McLintock! probably would be frowned upon these days...really to do any kind of "Taming Of The Shrew" story these days you have to adapt it at least as liberally as 10 Things I Hate About You...

Add Kiss Me Kate to that list, pretty much in the exact same manner...

Although Casey Affleck did whip ScarJo's ass in that one movie a few years ago, and iirc, she responded by fucking him, so maybe it can still be done despite all logic?