DVDVR Message Board

Stuff that Happened in Older Movies That Wouldn't Happen Now

RonL21

So, I was watching the 1st Ninja Turtles movie on Netflix (1990) and it had a scene where a foot soldier slapped April in the subway, then another knocked her unconscious.  No way that gets approved in a PG movie now.  Also, one of my favorite childhood movies, The Sandlot, had a lot of cursing in it.  No way they let that fly in a PG movie now.  

Any other examples?

Two scenes from Fight Club come right to mind. Marla and the Narrator watching the buildings that Tyler planted bombs in blown up at the end. Also, the scene where the Narrator talks about wishing for a mid-air crash on his business trips.

The entirety of Blazing Saddles.

Which I realize wasn't a PG movie, but the racial stuff just wouldn't fly today at all.

They edit all of the racial stuff out on basic cable, which bleeps half the damn movie, to the point that there is no point watching it. . . 

• Like 1

When I watched MONSTER SQUAD this past Halloween, I was shocked at how freely they used the word "f****t." I didn't even remember that from when I saw it as a kid. There's no way that word gets into a kids movie these days.

I watched Heaven & Earth a couple nights ago. I thought the lead actress (and Joan Chen) did an amazing job. However, I would imagine there would be Asian-American and Vietnamese advocacy groups protesting outside of Oliver Stone's house on a nightly basis while that movie was out in theaters in 2014.

if we're talking obsolete plot points: Jason Biggs having to run down the block to catch the webcam show that he accidentally broadcast to everybody. It'd be on a hidden Skype that he could watch on his phone in the bathroom

Every Hitchcock movie ever is basically ruined by the invention of the portable phone. And that's a damn shame.

White people playing characters of other ethnicities...

oh wait

Isn't Depp like one-fourth indian, though?  That's not the first time he's played a native character, he also did it in his self-directed movie The Brave (which he infamously refused to release in America, saying that people here just wouldn't get it).  

Pretty much the entire Pretty Baby movie.

Oooooh, yeah, GREAT call.  And the funny thing is, that movie certainly didn't have a positive attitude towards its content.  It was about kiddie sexploitation, but it definitely wasn't pro-kiddie-sexploitation.  It condemned child prostitution with its every breath.  But nowadays our society has gotten so obsessively puritanical about separating kids from sex that you can't even depict that sort of thing at all, in any light.  Of course, Brooke Shields has spoken out plenty about how fucked up her young life often was between that movie and The Blue Lagoon (apparently people treated her so much like a sex object that she didn't even lose her virginity until her 20s) so maybe that ain't the best example.  

if we're talking obsolete plot points: Jason Biggs having to run down the block to catch the webcam show that he accidentally broadcast to everybody. It'd be on a hidden Skype that he could watch on his phone in the bathroom

Every Hitchcock movie ever is basically ruined by the invention of the portable phone. And that's a damn shame.

It's funny to watch horror movies nowadays desperately try to work around that.  "There's no phone reception!" is the most common copout, as offspring said.  See No Evil 2 at least came up with a decent excuse, having the film take place inside a building where everyone was required to check their phones and they were all put in a safe (and then the guy with the keys got killed early).  

Rear Window?

as is every Home Alone movie

White people playing characters of other ethnicities...

oh wait

Isn't Depp like one-fourth indian, though?  That's not the first time he's played a native character, he also did it in his self-directed movie The Brave (which he infamously refused to release in America, saying that people here just wouldn't get it).  

I know it's Wikipedia, but this link says nope, not one bit.

• Like 1

Mike and Molly disagrees. Also TBBT, Modern Family, Mulaney, Marry Me, Brooklyn 99, probably 2 1/2 Men, 2 Broke Girls, etc. Etc.

Here's a topical one - a Batman movie that doesn't have some flashback to his parents' death/his training. I think Batman '66 was the last one.