DVDVR Message Board

Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014

Big Fresh

I really need to eyeball some shit and get me an actual good 5.1 receiver and speakers.  Fucking HATE my ass for goin' frugal and getting some RCA piece of shit.  It's the fucking worst.  Audio takes 5 seconds to come out when you're coming from silence.  It pops and makes me wait 5 seconds to get back to the audio.  If a movie has a very quiet scene the audio will cut in and out.  Holy Jesus this thing is garbage.

Maybe get that PS4 7.1 headphone set.  It's supposed to work on PC.

I did in fact buy that Westinghouse. The speakers certainly aren't very good, but as TV speakers, they don't sound any worse than the speakers on the Samsung it replaced.

That's because Samsung speakers are terrible. On my Samsung plasmas, the speakers are mounted facing DOWN. Needless to day, that doesn't do much for sound quality or volume.

I really need to eyeball some shit and get me an actual good 5.1 receiver and speakers.  Fucking HATE my ass for goin' frugal and getting some RCA piece of shit.  It's the fucking worst.  Audio takes 5 seconds to come out when you're coming from silence.  It pops and makes me wait 5 seconds to get back to the audio.  If a movie has a very quiet scene the audio will cut in and out.  Holy Jesus this thing is garbage.

Maybe get that PS4 7.1 headphone set.  It's supposed to work on PC.

OK, this is fairly easy.

For a receiver, pretty much anything Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, or Yahama is good, though Yamaha might be the best. From there it's all about what features you need. Make sure to check for refurbished deals on ShopOnkyo.com (Onkyo's own outlet site) and Accessories4Less.com. Both have really good deals on receivers, usually with a 1 year warranty instead of the 2 year warranty you'd get on a new receiver.

For speakers, what are you looking for? The best bang for your buck is the Pioneer Andrew Jones series, but it consists of towers and bookshelf speakers. If you need satellite speakers, you want either the Energy Take Classic/Take Five or the similar speakers from Monoprice. You can mix and match if need be, and while some people don't recommend it, I've been OK with it. Onkyo's set of tower speakers has been on sale recently at Frys.com (NewEgg and Frys have a lot of the best deals) and they're really well-reviewed, though I've never heard them. I LOVE my Andrew Jones towers, though. They're an amazing bargain. Match them up with any kind of halfway decent receiver (including a stereo receiver) and you'll get awesome results with both digital and analog sources.

• Like 2

Just ordered Shadow of Mordor on PS4 for $25 at Newegg. No tax. Just a heads up if anyone was looking to get this. Only PS4 though (I think)

That's really tempting.  That game looks really good...

I hate all of you and your disposable income

Didnt you buy a ps3 not that long ago? ;)

Quiet you with your facts

The bigger problem is that because of doing holiday things yesterday - I hadn't really had a chance to sit down and do anything

So now - the fucking 4 game WiiU bundle is sold out everywhere and I am going to have to totally rethink my Christmas/Birthday plan for my son

I hate all of you and your disposable income

Didnt you buy a ps3 not that long ago? ;)

Quiet you with your facts

The bigger problem is that because of doing holiday things yesterday - I hadn't really had a chance to sit down and do anything

So now - the fucking 4 game WiiU bundle is sold out everywhere and I am going to have to totally rethink my Christmas/Birthday plan for my son

This deal from Best Buy via Ebay is pretty close, its $60 cheaper but doesn't include two of the games.  So basically its the same price minus DK.  Probably as close as you can find without some crazy re-seller price.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I ordered the Halo Collection Xbox One bundle as I prefer running through all of those again over the Assassin's Creed games. 

I've got a two year old. We've got a Wii we got for our wedding in 09. Forget income, I won't have time to play anything for a few years anyway, not without being a shitty parent and using the TV as a babysitter or something. Making stuffed animals clap to a rendition of the Winnie the Pooh song beats Assassin's Creed whatever anyway.

I do have my bus commute though. I should get a 3DS or something.