DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

Hans Zimmer? Seriously? I mean, I generally like his scores, despite their increasing propensity for inducing migraines, but it's getting to the point where it seems like he's scoring EVERY big blockbuster movie.

And how weird is it that that sounds more like a Superman song than anything he did for the actual Superman movie.

I liked Amazing Spider-Man. I found the Raimi movies to just be sort of there. The action sequences looked great until dipshit took off his mask to cry every thirty seconds. Also the whole post-9/11 "all New Yorkers are family" thing is super obnoxious. As is SpiderChrist in Part II. Kristen Whatever her name is sings! No. "I was at the door the whole time!" I'm changing my locks.

• Like 3

I liked Amazing Spider-Man. I found the Raimi movies to just be sort of there. The action sequences looked great until dipshit took off his mask to cry every thirty seconds. Also the whole post-9/11 "all New Yorkers are family" thing is super obnoxious. As is SpiderChrist in Part II. Kristen Whatever her name is sings! No. "I was at the door the whole time!" I'm changing my locks.

Great stuff.

78165.jpg

I just watched ASM again and I think there's parts of it, or aspects of it, that are really well done, even better than what was in the Raimi trilogy. That said, I still think it's a bad movie with some dumb contrivances, and even worse special effects. I'm glad that it seems like nothing will look quite as hokey as the Lizard in ASM 2. 

The Electro chase in the ASM2  trailer is very late-gen PS2-riffic.  That said, it seems like they're lightening up a bit - not all the Spidey bits take place at night this time, which is nice.  Let's hope there's nothing as eye-rolling as the "Property of Peter Parker" label in the sequel.

Great stuff.

78165.jpg

Yeah, Spidey, you go beat the fuck out of that lightning!

The Electro chase in the ASM2  trailer is very late-gen PS2-riffic.  That said, it seems like they're lightening up a bit - not all the Spidey bits take place at night this time, which is nice.  Let's hope there's nothing as eye-rolling as the "Property of Peter Parker" label in the sequel.

Oh God, I forgot about that. Another reason why I hate the non-organic webshooters. Superhero genius kid can make webshooters, but leaves a label on his camera in the main villain's lair that says who the camera belongs to and the font on the label is the font for the movie title.

• Like 2

I just watched ASM again and I think there's parts of it, or aspects of it, that are really well done, even better than what was in the Raimi trilogy. That said, I still think it's a bad movie with some dumb contrivances, and even worse special effects. I'm glad that it seems like nothing will look quite as hokey as the Lizard in ASM 2. 

Yeah, I agree.  There were elements that could have added up to the best Spider-film so far, but so much of the plotting and characterization was just a mess.

And that stormcloud poster is the most boring superhero poster I've ever seen.  Also, is Jamie Foxx not a big star anymore?  Seems like they're not doing much to push the fact that he's in this movie.

I actually maintain that ASM is the best Spidey movie yet.

Then again, I feel like the original lost it after the origin, 2 was hot fucking garbage, and 3 was the best of the originals but still deeply flawed. Which is not generally the order people rank them in. So maybe it's me.

Seriously though, just about everything in Spider-man 2 made me straight up angry at how bad/dumb it was.

• Like 1

I actually maintain that ASM is the best Spidey movie yet.

Then again, I feel like the original lost it after the origin, 2 was hot fucking garbage, and 3 was the best of the originals but still deeply flawed. Which is not generally the order people rank them in. So maybe it's me.

It is. I'm not even a big fan of the Raimi series, and this still sounds somewhat insane to me.

The thing about Spider-man 2 is that it's the rare movie that had too many inconsistencies for me. Peter being into science is only relevant insofar as connecting him to Octavius. The mask gets no respect and there's waaaaaaay too much NY Jesus imagery going on. And the Aunt May dangling scene is intolerable...not least of which because the only thing that saves her is that she was never really in danger in the first place.

But honestly, I can't get over Ock using the tentacles at several points to basically hold himself up while he goes punch for punch with Spider-man. Yes, this fat average scientist can somehow now take multiple blows to the head from a guy who can lift cars. They took a guy whose whole visual/combat dynamic was based on cat and mouse and turned him into a guy who gets into really boring slugfests that are supposed to be impressive because they're CG'ed on the side of a building. It ruins a bunch of the big suspense moments and absolutely infuriates me.

So you've got a Spider-man who is into science the way hipsters are into irony and an Ock who can't outthink a random thug. But it's cool, because they have a cuddlefest at the end.

Fuck that movie.

• Like 2

Oh God, I forgot about that. Another reason why I hate the non-organic webshooters. Superhero genius kid can make webshooters, but leaves a label on his camera in the main villain's lair that says who the camera belongs to and the font on the label is the font for the movie title.

Spidey's secret identity is anything but in the Raimi trilogy and TASM. Unmasking!

The Spectacular Spider-Man is the best.

Unholy Dragon's argument is bullshit and his complaints are insane given the fact that Peter Parker is unmasing in ASM every other scene. It's beyond ridiculous.

Yeah, but that's due to people trying to pin him down and unmask him. And despite that, they do mostly keep his identity protected rather than having New York raise him up as maskless crowdsurfing NY Jesus and pretending that his identity is still a secret. There's really only the one time he's unmasked in public and it's by the police, with him trying to keep his face hidden throughout the confrontation bar speaking with Mr. Leary. It's still annoying, but far less conspicuously so. 

The camera thing I took as a rookie mistake/oversight. Kinda like his not at all subtle questioning of Dr. Conners and his inability to keep himself from telling Gwen. Dude's supposed to be like sixteen, and being technically brilliant is not the same as being pragmatic or conscientious of your surroundings. I feel like that's the kind of thing that's going to be learned.