DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

Why? Marvel Studios put out terrible shit like Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3. It's not like they have a perfect track record. There is one good Iron Man film. There are two good X-Men films and one that is alright. The biggest piece of shit in the franchise was Rattner's baby which is being retconned.

Marvel sure knows how to make money but so does Michael Bay with Transformers. I will take quality over popularity every time. Marvel needs to start doing a better job with these solo films. Even Thor: Dark World which was solid/fun falls into the "forgettable" category.

Going back to Amazing Spiderman 2... I'm a little concerned with there being 3 villains in it. Making me flash back to the shitstorm that was Spiderman 3. 

On the positive side all the villains appear to be connected this time. 

Aint It Cool has spoilers on the post-credits scene of DoFP (assuming of course his source isn't completely full of shit):

Magneto is recovering from the events of DoFP and sees a giant alien form crashing nearby.  He investigates, hears a voice saying "I have travelled rivers of time to find you."  It's Apocalypse, who merges with Erik and causes him to shoot out a giant explosion of energy.  Magneto grins as he realizes what power he now has.

Why? Marvel Studios put out terrible shit like Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3. It's not like they have a perfect track record. There is one good Iron Man film. There are two good X-Men films and one that is alright. The biggest piece of shit in the franchise was Rattner's baby which is being retconned.

Marvel sure knows how to make money but so does Michael Bay with Transformers. I will take quality over popularity every time. Marvel needs to start doing a better job with these solo films. Even Thor: Dark World which was solid/fun falls into the "forgettable" category.

Because the entire Marvel Universe should be under one roof? Is that not a self-evident concept? In what reality do fans want the X-Men and the Fantastic fucking Four to share a universe? People don't want to see Cyclops and the Thing team up, they wanna see Spidey, Wolverine, and Iron Man go at it. And I thoroughly enjoyed all the Marvel Studios films sans Captain America, whereas Fox is 0/2 with FF and 3/5 (barely) with X-Men. That's under .500 over all, not exactly stellar numbers either.

I imagine Fox couldn't actually get the rights to it, but if I was coming up with a X-Men/FF crossover, I'd be tempted to look at Secret Wars.  The main bad guys they'd need are Doom, Galactus, and Molecule Man, which should all be under the FF umbrella. 

That said, there's no reason to cross them over unless you can get people interested in the FF on their own.  That's an uphill battle given not only their previous outings, but also I just think Reed and Sue's powers work way better on a page than on screen.  Stretchy powers might work on screen for a comedic side character, but not the super-genius leader of the group.  And invisibility is tough for obvious reasons.  In comics, the outline thing works -- it's easy to grasp that the other characters can't see what the reader is seeing.  But I think that leap is tougher to make in a live-action movie, so you're left with seeing absolutely nothing.  Not very satisfying.

• Like 1

Because the entire Marvel Universe should be under one roof? Is that not a self-evident concept? In what reality do fans want the X-Men and the Fantastic fucking Four to share a universe? People don't want to see Cyclops and the Thing team up, they wanna see Spidey, Wolverine, and Iron Man go at it. And I thoroughly enjoyed all the Marvel Studios films sans Captain America, whereas Fox is 0/2 with FF and 3/5 (barely) with X-Men. That's under .500 over all, not exactly stellar numbers either.

Marvel Studios is 4.5 out of 8. You would think out of anyone they would be batting close to 1.000 but it's struggle city. My point is that so far whenever Singer is attached to an X-Men film it's been at least solid so why not allow Days of Future Past to play out first.

Iron Man 3 was good but giving credit where it's due, the X-Men franchise has been extremely well handled. Last Stand and the first Wolvie film were utter garbage but the first two X-Mens, First Class, and the recent Wolvie film were all really good to great.  I might put IM3 over the first X-film but I certainly wouldn't rank it higher than any of the others.

Nobody was more apathetic about First Class when it announced than I was and that turned out to be one of the best comic films of them all. Like Niners said, if anybody has earned our trust, it's Singer.

Marvel Studios is 4.5 out of 8. You would think out of anyone they would be batting close to 1.000 but it's struggle city. My point is that so far whenever Singer is attached to an X-Men film it's been at least solid so why not allow Days of Future Past to play out first.

Not going to get into a whole "Which Marvel Studios films are good or not" argument because based on solely objective criteria (Box office and critical reviews), they've ALL been a success to varying degrees (even the ones I don't like). My point wasn't that one studio would do better making the films than another, or a director for that matter. Hell, if Singer wants to do the next Thor or Spidey movie, I'd be down for that. It's about intellectual property, and being able to tell better stories with characters from other titles than simply relying on the restricted amount available to each studio.

It's the easiest and most efficient way to gauge "critical success." And if you don't like that, then the only objective criteria is box office success, which means "Good = made money, bad = didn't," and I don't think we need to explore that flawed metric.

If you look at the Iron Man franchise the first one is well over 90% on RT and it really is a great film. The second and third films are rated lower but are always going to "fresh" because Downey is all the Febreze they need.

Edit: Man of Steel and Iron Man 3 both have 7.4 on IMDB.

X2 - 7.5

X-Men: First Class - 7.8

The Amazing Spider-Man - 7.1

People hated Spider-Man more than I thought they would. I didn't think it was offensive, just unnecessary.

Man of Steel is 56% on RT but 77% of the users liked it. I was right about critics having it out for Snyder.

X2 - 87% Fresh and 84% liked it.

X-Men: First Class - 87% Fresh and 87% liked it.

but no...  please let Marvel Studios have the property back.... 

You're so focused on "this film is good, fuck that studio, etc" that you remain completely oblivious to my point. If Fox or Sony wanted to shell out the money to buy out Marvel from Disney, that'd be fine as well. I simply said Disney to buy the other two out because 1) Disney already owns both Marvel Studios and Marvel Publishing, so it just makes more sense that they would own the rest of the properties, and 2) Disney has $4B in cash, whereas Sony's financial woes are well documented at this point, and Fox never seemed interested in owning any other properties. Is it that hard a concept to understand? We get it, you hate Marvel Studios.