DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

I think it is both hilarious and sad.

Sad that they did this to a classic villain but hilarious that the supervillain is basically a troll who comments on sites like CNN, tech magazines, and the websites of his favorite sports teams while eating pocky and hot pockets in an apartment that smells like sweat and sex.

Can we just assume that the character is Eugene from The Walking Dead?

Instead of him being the head of Latvia his legacy is having the highest post count on any given message board meaning that he is the most important person on said board.

I'm not even a fan of the Fantastic Four or Doom, and even I'm upset at this. If you're making a movie based off of vastly popular and decades old source material, why change it up to such a degree and piss off the fan base? I just don't get why movie writers feel the need to change things up so drastically all the time. Little changes to fit within the construct of a movie can be fine, but to just flat out change everything about such a huge character? It just doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

OK, here's my pitch for the movie:

Victor Domachev is an Internet hacktivist, who hacks American government servers and leaks top-secret documents to Wikileaks. After he gets found out, he flees the country and finds refuge in Latveria. Because the Latverian people hate the American imperialist swines, he quickly becomes so popular, they elect him as their new leader. He also wears a face mask, because "Anonymous" and "Guy Fawkes" and all that.

The American government is pissed obviously and send their super-secret task force after him: The Fantastic Four, who I guess wear mech-suits or something that give them superpowers, because everything else would be ridicolous.

Realism!

I'm still waiting for the announcement that it's going to be a found footage movie.

Also over at CBR I just read that Sony might be planning an Aunt May spin-off movie, so good times are ahead.

If it was Helen Mirren, no sweat.

As long as they dont do TROUBLE

"You know what comic property has been criminally overlooked? Aunt May and the Grey Panthers" said nobody ever.

Actually, yeah, it's totally going to be Trouble. It's like Sony is purposely seeking out the absolute worst aspects of the Spideyverse and deciding to make them into movies.

I fully expect "Planet of the Symbiotes" to be announced any day now.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I didn't think that version of Galactus was all that bad. It's better than a cosmically giant dork in a purple and blue costume.

Bullshit.  You'd crap yourself if purple and blue Galactus showed up and ate South Bend. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Doctor Doom is awesome and these fucksticks making him into an IT guy is the worst.  My son is always asking me who wins in a fight between... and who is basically a badass all the time and I hype Doom up and he's going to eventually see the first FF with the crappy Doom and now this one with even crappier Doom.  This kid will have no faith in his Dad because of these clowns. 

Doctor Doom is awesome and these fucksticks making him into an IT guy is the worst.  My son is always asking me who wins in a fight between... and who is basically a badass all the time and I hype Doom up and he's going to eventually see the first FF with the crappy Doom and now this one with even crappier Doom.  This kid will have no faith in his Dad because of these clowns. 

The only option is to make him read all of the best Doom stories to cement his greatness so that these clownshoes movies won't kill the mystique.

I didn't think that version of Galactus was all that bad. It's better than a cosmically giant dork in a purple and blue costume.

Bullshit. You'd crap yourself if purple and blue Galactus showed up and ate South Bend.

I...yep...I can't argue.

I'm not a purist.  There are some things you can screw around with, and I'm fine with it.  Like organic web shooters make more sense to me than Parker knowing how to make this really cool tech that nobody ever steals (AFAIK).  

But I don't get messing with Doom.  Are they taking out all the black magic stuff?  I guess I wouldn't totally mind that.  But if he's not the leader of Latveria, then a bunch of the stuff that makes him unique is gone.  And is this dude going to make a supersuit of armor, too?  

The discussion makes me wonder: what are some of the best and worst changes they've made in taking characters from comics to the screen?

We've got:

*Mandarin/Trevor

*Doom in the first FF

*Galactus is a cloud

*organic web-shooters

*making the Joker=Joe Chill (Batman 89)

*the end of Watchmen

*Asgard is actually a high-tech world

That's all I can think of right now.  I didn't see the FFs, but other than that, I'm actually fine with all of them except Asgard.  And even that one isn't terrible, just kind of annoying.

I don't think this movie is going to get made. 

I believe they are already finished with filming.

Sony has denied the Aunt May movie rumors. Too bad, I would have liked to see her team-up with Franklin Richards against Galactus on the big screen.

That Doctor Doom concept sounds awful.

That's worst than the re-imagining I came up with of the Fantastic Four being high school kids from the inner city.  Talking bout the ghetto.

Reed's a black science nerd with aspirations of college.  Ben Grimm's the white football jock that Reed tutors.  Sue's a Latina cheerleader and Johnny's her Asian rapper-wannabe stepbrother.

Reed accidentally invents some kind of drug which Johnny and Ben get the bright idea to move on the streets.  That gets the attention of the local drug kingpin, Doctor Doom, who has his thugs send Reed a message by beating up Johnny.  Doom wants the formula for Reed's drug but Reed wants nothing to do with that sort of activity so Doom locks the kids up in the school lab and explodes the school up real good.  The kids come out alive but with super powers and the Fantastic Four is born.

• Like 3

Guest The Magnificent 7

The problem, for me at least, is that Dr. Doom is the one thing that even makes me give a damn about the FF4.  I never really was into Mr. Fantastic, Human Torch, Invisible Woman, The Thing as cool heroes.  But Dr. Doom has such a badass visual character design, and he's a BOSS.  Even without his armor he's busting up lions and shit.  Dr. Doom is such a cool villain he compels me to care about the fairly tame heroes who need to beat him. 

Bottom line is dude is iconic and you don't jack with iconic.  An internet troll.  Come on. 

I have no interest in seeing this if he's just Fat Spanish Waiter with a green suit.

That Doctor Doom concept sounds awful.

That's worst than the re-imagining I came up with of the Fantastic Four being high school kids from the inner city.  Talking bout the ghetto.

Reed's a black science nerd with aspirations of college.  Ben Grimm's the white football jock that Reed tutors.  Sue's a Latina cheerleader and Johnny's her Asian rapper-wannabe stepbrother.

Reed accidentally invents some kind of drug which Johnny and Ben get the bright idea to move on the streets.  That gets the attention of the local drug kingpin, Doctor Doom, who has his thugs send Reed a message by beating up Johnny.  Doom wants the formula for Reed's drug but Reed wants nothing to do with that sort of activity so Doom locks the kids up in the school lab and explodes the school up real good.  The kids come out alive but with super powers and the Fantastic Four is born.

PLEASE don't give them ideas. . . ;)