DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

Wait, bombed? It made more money worldwide than Captain America: Winter Soldier. It's not that the movies can't make money it's that it was too soon for a reboot and they are not making the kind of money that Sony WANTS them to be making..  It's trending downward.

I don't think there's any "saving" it. If they want it to do the numbers it used to they need to just wait it out but they won't because then the rights return to Marvel.

The idea of a Sinister Six movie always seemed insane to me. I'm as big a Spidey fan as anybody and I had zero interest in that. I can't imagine why anybody would want to see a bunch of criminals origins. It reeks of desperation.

As far as ASM2 goes, I don't want to argue over hit vs bomb but the trends are what are raising a lot of panic. The series is in a clear spiral and after the critical beating this last one took, I can't imagine the next one opening anywhere near as big.

Building to a Spidey vs. the Sinister Six movie makes sense.

A solo Six movie is insanely stupid.

ASM 2 is doing fine internationally.  It definite disappointed at the domestic box office though.  But that matters a lot less now than it did even 5 years ago.

(Also, for the record, worldwide it's made almost 7 million less than Winter Soldier, not more than.  It's made more at just the foreign box office though. Of course, Cap had a reported 170 million budget, while ASM 2 didn't report, but is rumored to be in the 225 range.)

Even so... Winter Soldier is regarded as a huge success which it was. This idea that Spidey is done making money is crazy. I was the first to admit that there was no need for a reboot and that's the biggest problem. However, I don't think anyone needed to see another Tobey movie either. Honestly, Spider-Man 3 is what has hurt the character the most.

• Like 1

By that logic, Batman Begins should have bombed because of Batman & Robin. Granted there was a couple more years between the reboots but it wasn't like they shelved Batman for 15 years or something. If the ASM series had been remotely of the same quality as the first two Nolan films, the grosses would've been fine regardless of Spidey 3. Bottom line is they've churned out three terrible Spider-man movies in a row and the audience is reacting accordingly.

FWIW, Batman & Robin's opening weekend was 42 million and change.  With 8 years worth or ticket price inflation, Batman Begins only opened at 48 and change. (All numbers domestic unless otherwise noted)  Which means Batman Begins probably sold less tickets on opening weekend than Batman & Robin did.

That's with 8 years as opposed to 5, and a reboot that was, based on my own personal experience, much more desired and anticipated.  Batman & Robin, of course, collapsed after that strong opening weekend, while Begins held well.

There's a good argument to be made that Batman & Robin hurt Batman Begins opening weekend, and possibly it's total box-office take.  It finished at a solid to good 206 million, but it was very well received, and primed the pumps for The Dark Knight to do holy fucking shit business.

So, yeah, if Amazing Spider-Man had been beloved by audiences, I think ASM 2 would have done much bigger business.

As for why Cap is considered a massive success, and ASM 2 a disappointment (and if we trust rumors, the profit point was something like 650 or 700 million worldwide, so Sony isn't taking a bath here) it's because of previous results.  The first ASM did 262 million domestic, and 757 worldwide.  The first Cap did 176 domestic and just 370 worldwide.  So, one is showing a massive improvement over it's predecessor, while the other is probably going to just barely surpass the previous entry.

(Note here about "The Avengers bump" which is certainly a factor for Cap, but it's still hard to explain an 300 million dollar increase in worldwide.)

Ultimately, Sony isn't losing money as of yet on Spidey films, so they will probably keep on making them (especially if they can get the costs down some) but they aren't serving as the massive tentpoles that the original trilogy did for them.

• Like 1

I don't think The Dark Knight was so highly anticipated because of Batman Begins though. Batman Begins receiving positive reviews from critics/viewers didn't hurt it but I think the viral marketing, The Joker and then Heath Ledger dying all combined to make it an absolute beast at the box office. Spider-Man doesn't have that one villain that everyone agrees on. 80's babies such as myself grew up with Venom and Carnage but they ain't shit compared to The Joker.

Sony has officially been thrown into disarray over the ASM franchise.

ASM3 has been bumped to 2018, at which point Andrew Garfield will be staring down the barrel of THIRTY-FIVE. By the time it hits theaters, it will almost be time to recast Peter - and reboot again!

Also, the SINISTER SIX movie that nobody wants was bumped up to November of 2016. I'd guess that's why Drew Goddard had to leave the Daredevil show.

It almost makes you wonder if they're setting up SIX to fail so they can scrap the series and start over.

Devin Faraci said Goddard left Daredevil because he and Marvel weren't getting along.

Also, the SINISTER SIX movie that nobody wants was bumped up to November of 2016. I'd guess that's why Drew Goddard had to leave the Daredevil show.

Devin Faraci said Goddard left Daredevil because he and Marvel weren't getting along.

I have no idea who Devin Farsi is but I don't think there needs to be any silly conspiracy theories over the fact Goddard got a chance to write and direct a big budget major motion picture so he jumped on it. Its no different than JJ Abrams abandoning Lost after the third episode because he got a chance to direct Mission Impossible III. Not sure why people want to believe there's a more sinister motive than the guy got a better opportunity and took it.

Besides, if working with Marvel is a pain for creative types - which I think is total bullshit but whatever - wait until Goddard has to deal with Avi Arad. From what I hear, the #1 biggest obstacle to getting a non-sucky Spidey movie is that guy's idiotic meddling.

I have no idea who Devin Farsi is but I don't think there needs to be any silly conspiracy theories over the fact Goddard got a chance to write and direct a big budget major motion picture so he jumped on it. Its no different than JJ Abrams abandoning Lost after the third episode because he got a chance to direct Mission Impossible III. Not sure why people want to believe there's a more sinister motive than the guy got a better opportunity and took it.

Besides, if working with Marvel is a pain for creative types - which I think is total bullshit but whatever - wait until Goddard has to deal with Avi Arad. From what I hear, the #1 biggest obstacle to getting a non-sucky Spidey movie is that guy's idiotic meddling.

He writes for Bad Ass Digest. I don't think it's a conspiracy theory but whatever, don't believe it if you don't want to. 

By that logic, Batman Begins should have bombed because of Batman & Robin. Granted there was a couple more years between the reboots but it wasn't like they shelved Batman for 15 years or something. If the ASM series had been remotely of the same quality as the first two Nolan films, the grosses would've been fine regardless of Spidey 3. Bottom line is they've churned out three terrible Spider-man movies in a row and the audience is reacting accordingly.

For whatever it's worth, there was also a huge change in tone between B&R and Begins. There was very little change in tone from SM3 to ASM. (then again, who knows what tone ASM2 was going for, mashing up the campy nerd caricature of pre-Electro Jamie Foxx with the death of Gwen Stacey, one of the most serious events in Spidey's hitory)

Goofy question: if Sony wanted, could they just invent some new superheroes and add them into their Spidey universe?

Batman is probably the most popular comic book character out there (I'd argue Superman is likely more well known, but Batman has always been regarded as "cooler") so any feature film of his is going to automatically do big numbers.  The Nolan Batman films also had an A-list cast of far more acclaimed actors than any other comic movie and a director known for "serious" films.  I'd say these factors contributed more towards that series' success than anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Carnage is a beast of excess that sort of defies the "no bad characters, only badly used ones" rule. He's totally lacking in nuance and generally appeals to salivating violence freaks. Kyle is a smart concept and a great everyman entry point into the DCU that was really helpful during a time when a lot of new readers were coming on and is about a thousand times more relatable and interesting than Hal since he's far more nuanced and human than the lunkhead test pilot. 

• Like 2

I don't care if they have to cancel all future Marvel projects, that shit needs to happen.

The one thing that the inclusion of Ryan Reynolds actually improves rather than fucks up.

Fox is taking down the Youtube links with the swiftness.

Check out this one before it is gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZZwuQUk7kY

This thing must be allowed to become a thing and not an idea kicked around in the sand.  CGI, Live Action, I don't really care so long as it sees the light of day and it is fucking Rated R..

"Let's hope these guys are wearing their brown pants," may be the best thing I will hear all day.