DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

It's funny, this talk of the merch. There's action figures for Captain America: Winter Soldier. There were figs for Avengers (still are). But there's not a single toy for DOFP. I don't think I've seen any toys for ASM2 either. I seriously just realized that.

Actually there was some.  Hasbro made a Spider-Man Marvel legends line with movie versions of Spider-Man and Electro.

Is Disney playing some kind of corporate politics by not releasing any Days of Future Past toys?  Maybe.  But they do release X-Men and mutant characters in their Marvel Universe 3.75 inch line. 

Saw DoFP week before last, but was up in Maryland all last week.  Really enjoyed it.  Loved Bryan Singer going "Yeah, Last Stand sucked so I am going to use time travel as the ultimate do-over."

Was kinda bummed that Dinklage was somewhat underused but really loved Magneto going BBEG at the end. The happy ending is not so happy with Magneto and Charles still at odds.

Marked for the Toad sighting and was amazed by Quicksilver having the most important moment in the movie.

Was nice to see Jennifer Lawrence go slightly out of character and show a little vicious streak with Mystique.  Was nice to see her portrayed as the mastermind "villainess" from old rather than the hench-mutant window dressing from the previous incarnation.

As for the post credit scene:

Four Horsemen in the background kinda telgraphs that the boy is going to be Apocalypse.  Pity.  I was kinda hoping they'd find a way to fit Mr. Sinister in there somewhere.

I was kinda hoping that the guy who played President Nixon in this movie was the same actor who played Nixon in Watchmen, but alas, two different actors..

Did anyone else read the ending as Magneto sacrificing himself because the world needs a villain to unite against?

That would make some sense.  As I said earlier, I couldn't really figure why his plan went from killing Mystique to prevent Wolverine's timeline from existing, to trying to kill the president and cause a very public mass casualty event (thereby confirming the public's fears about mutants and bringing about Wolvie's future).  But nothing in the movie really hinted he had a nobler motive,

Did anyone else read the ending as Magneto sacrificing himself because the world needs a villain to unite against?

That would make some sense.  As I said earlier, I couldn't really figure why his plan went from killing Mystique to prevent Wolverine's timeline from existing, to trying to kill the president and cause a very public mass casualty event (thereby confirming the public's fears about mutants and bringing about Wolvie's future).  But nothing in the movie really hinted he had a nobler motive,

That doesn't fit because Magneto wasn't really the self-sacrificing kind back then.

Magneto just switched gears from trying to deflect the future by killing Mystique to deflecting the future by trying to discredit the Sentinel program on worldwide television.

Which didn't work because that would just make companies and scientists and govenrnments work harder at building better Sentinels.

I don't understand the confusion because the movie had a scene where Magneto explicitly laid out his thought process: In his mind, it was already too late. After Paris, Trask had a sample of Mystique's blood (he didn't know it wasn't enough), and mutants had just exposed themselves to the world in a very high profile, horrifying way that had given the government all the impetus they needed to greenlight the Sentinel program. As he told Mystique, if they intended to change the future, killing one person wasn't going to do it anymore. So his plan became to not only kill Trask, but all the government leaders who signed off on the program, and in a spectacular public display of god-like power that would cow the world into leaving them alone.

You can quibble with that, but it's consistent with Magneto's character in these movies. He's always going to go for shock and awe, and if he can convince himself there's a bold move to be made on behalf of mutant supremacy, he's going to take it.

• Like 1

Yeah, Magneto's philosophy has always been that Humans and Mutants can't co-exist peacefully, so therefore it's better (for him) if Mutants are dominant.

I don't understand the confusion because the movie had a scene where Magneto explicitly laid out his thought process: In his mind, it was already too late. After Paris, Trask had a sample of Mystique's blood (he didn't know it wasn't enough), and mutants had just exposed themselves to the world in a very high profile, horrifying way that had given the government all the impetus they needed to greenlight the Sentinel program. As he told Mystique, if they intended to change the future, killing one person wasn't going to do it anymore. So his plan became to not only kill Trask, but all the government leaders who signed off on the program, and in a spectacular public display of god-like power that would cow the world into leaving them alone.

I still don't think that would be in character with Magneto.  He's not a "leave us alone" kinda  guy. 

The Big Red M we all know and love would have used that opportunity to take over the United States and make himself the leader of a mutant-dominant society and used Sentinels to help enforce his authority. The bad future would not come about if Magneto controlled the Sentinels and used them to subjugate all humans.

In the movie, Magneto's grandstand play at the White House was all sound and thunder to show that Sentinels could be turned against their creators and it was also a message to mutants showing any sense of human sympathy.

Problem was that it didn't really affect the bad future.   Humans would eventually build better Sentinels capable of dealing with even the most powerful mutants out there.  Perhaps they didn't use Mystique's DNA?  Maybe they reverse engineer Beast's serum?

That was the only real flaw in the story that I saw, or at least it was a story flaw in my opinion.

I was tlaking to my nephew about X-Men yesterday and told him Hugh Jackman probably has 2 movies left. And he said, "Do you think they'll replace him with X-23?"

And I said, "Huh.... I never thought of that. But it wouldn't be the worst idea."

I actually hope that all of the "Remember those names.." stuff from Logan means that they will eventually re-cast the original X-Men lineup sans Iceman with younger actors.

The old Last Stand time line has been flushed thanks to the time breakage, so I guess you could still include Angel in there with Beast, Cyclops, and Marvel Girl in a circa 1980's sequel to DoFP.

So his plan became to not only kill Trask, but all the government leaders who signed off on the program ...

Ah, so the Phibes Initiative. Tricky play to run, that.

It's funny, this talk of the merch. There's action figures for Captain America: Winter Soldier. There were figs for Avengers (still are). But there's not a single toy for DOFP. I don't think I've seen any toys for ASM2 either. I seriously just realized that.

Actually there was some.  Hasbro made a Spider-Man Marvel legends line with movie versions of Spider-Man and Electro.

Is Disney playing some kind of corporate politics by not releasing any Days of Future Past toys?  Maybe.  But they do release X-Men and mutant characters in their Marvel Universe 3.75 inch line. 

The first Wolverine film got a line similar to the other Marvel film lines where they featured a mix of both film and comic likenesses.  Don't think there's been anything featuring X-Men film likenesses after that though.

I heard retailers just didn't want any more X-Men film toys after the second film.  Bunch of characters wearing black and an old man in a wheelchair don't make for the most exciting toy designs, I guess.

So his plan became to not only kill Trask, but all the government leaders who signed off on the program ...

Ah, so the Phibes Initiative. Tricky play to run, that.

Well Magneto never stuck me as the most rational person. . . . 

If what I read was accurate, Marvel isn't looking to outright cancel FF & X-men titles, they are just going to minimize the crossover with those characters, and the rest of the Marvel Universe. So, as long as Fox owns the FF, I wouldn't bank on something like a big crossover epic like "X-men vs Avengers", or a Thing solo book.

If what I read was accurate, Marvel isn't looking to outright cancel FF & X-men titles, they are just going to minimize the crossover with those characters, and the rest of the Marvel Universe. So, as long as Fox owns the FF, I wouldn't bank on something like a big crossover epic like "X-men vs Avengers", or a Thing solo book.

But they're starting Axis in just a few months...

But they're starting Axis in just a few months...

FWIW, Marvel is denying that they intend to cancel/downplay X-Men or FF.

So they've spent the last few years of publishing connecting X with the rest of the Marvel Universe as deeply as possible so that they can now downplay?

They've done this before.  Lest we not forget House of M.