DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL: WEEK TEN

Dolfan in NYC

Though I don't buy the what game would you like be most likely to give up because I can't see the Khan choosing to have the Cowboys in London instead of Jax when Cleveland would've been the one I would've chosen.

Yeah - I was realizing a similar thing when trying to figure out how Green Bay has managed to not go over yet.

I guess there has to be some sort of "draw" involved since a lot of the teams who haven't gone over yet are shitty Midwest teams

The thing all the big leagues don't seem to get is some things work better as a once a year deal. One London game a year is an event. Three a year, usually involving matchups of questionable quality, burns out real fast. More isn't always better. Once you damage the fan interest you're basically hoping the sponsors don't work it out for a few years (which, granted, is usually a safe bet).

NHL did the same thing when they had the big hit with "let's have a giant outdoor game on New Years" then suddenly last year they had SIX of them and good luck finding anyone that can name what all six were.

You're just lighting your gimmick on fire at that point.

• Like 2

Oh it gets better - Albert Breer is reporting that the NFL is looking to do away with the automatic bye week after your London game and that it could be gone as soon as 2016

Philly

Washington

Green Bay

Carolina

Arizona

Seattle

Cincy

Cleveland

Baltimore

Indy

Houston

Tenn

I'm coupling it with yesterday's news that hosting a Super Bowl now comes at the cost of losing a home game. Those 4 I bolded have hosted or have expressed interest in hosting a Super Bowl, so I can't imagine they'll be far off from going to England.  

It's still complete horseshit that teams have gone twice (and now 3 times) and 12 teams haven't gone at all. It's also complete garbage that my team is more interested in hosting a Super Bowl than playing in one. 

NHL did the same thing when they had the big hit with "let's have a giant outdoor game on New Years" then suddenly last year they had SIX of them and good luck finding anyone that can name what all six were.

Oh god yes.  The NHL created a ratings bonanza for NBC a few years ago with the outdoor games.  They've had great matchups in great environments with superstars all over the place.  Detroit hit a mega grand slam with their hockey festival last year and really did it up right (an outdoor alumni game, a billion tournaments and amateur deals all over the city and, of course, an incredible Red Wings/Leafs game at The Big House in front of 105,000).  And the NHL sees that success, is too stupid to realize that something is only special if it's infrequent, and just screws it all up with too many outdoor games.  Blech.

• Like 1

Oh god yes.  The NHL created a ratings bonanza for NBC a few years ago with the outdoor games.  They've had great matchups in great environments with superstars all over the place.  Detroit hit a mega grand slam with their hockey festival last year and really did it up right (an outdoor alumni game, a billion tournaments and amateur deals all over the city and, of course, an incredible Red Wings/Leafs game at The Big House in front of 105,000).  And the NHL sees that success, is too stupid to realize that something is only special if it's infrequent, and just screws it all up with too many outdoor games.  Blech.

The only recent ones I remember are Detroit/Toronto (because every casual fan watched it), and the LA/Anaheim one for the weird factor of an outdoor hockey game in California with a beach volleyball sideshow and the corpses of KISS pretending they are a real band, that was actually pretty memorable.

How the hell could Washington ever host a Super Bowl on that field?

Snyder wants to get a new stadium back inside the city - so he wants the Super Bowl for new stadium

(Basically - he believes he believes he can swindle the city for money if they promise of a Super Bowl is attached)

Snyder wants to get a new stadium back inside the city - so he wants the Super Bowl for new stadium

(Basically - he believes he believes he can swindle the city for money if they promise of a Super Bowl is attached)

And DC United and its fans will be pissed when that stadium gets built before theirs at this rate...

And DC United and its fans will be pissed when that stadium gets built before theirs at this rate...

Oh I think all five of them will be pretty mad. (kidding of course, but a MLS team expects public $$$ for a stadium?)

• Like 2

Dalton is like this in all prime time big games. He gets rattled big time. I always blame Marvin Lewis since he is usually always outcoached in these games as well and he should prepare Andy better so maybe he doesn't get rattled.