DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL: WEEK TEN

Dolfan in NYC

So the Steelers play teams #3 and #5 in the Goodell Trophy race the next two weeks yet I am absolutely certain they will find some way to fuck up at least one of them.

The Jets are guaranteed to say something dumb enough to put Roflburger in 6TD mode; but that Titans game could be a letdown game.

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero

NFL has told teams if they want to be considered to host a Super Bowl they must be prepared to give up home games by playing in London.

Which is flat out stupid. Nothing new from the NFL, I know. What about cities like Cincinnati and Boston, for instance? I'm all for a Cincinnati Super Bowl, mainly for selfish reasons. The last threat I seem to recall was, and I paraphrase, "You need to build a dome stadium if you want a Super Bowl, because NFL fans are cold weather hating pussies!" Those cities will never get NFL approval, even if they play all 8 home games a season in London.

I really don't get the NFL's obsession with London. If it's that popular over there, re-start the WLAF or something. Stop taking home games away from the fans in the actual home cities of these teams.

• Like 4

Decent draw? That's all good and well, up until the point they get a team of their own (which is the ultimate goal of this lab rat experiment they are attempting here). The moment The London Monarchs franchise starts sucking heat out of Wembley Stadium from their poor performance, the fans will behave no differently than their stateside brethren.

• Like 1

I really don't get the NFL's obsession with London. If it's that popular over there, re-start the WLAF or something. Stop taking home games away from the fans in the actual home cities of these teams.

Seriously you get 8 real games a year, maybe more if your team is very good. Getting out to football is rare enough as is.

It's more exciting then Tampa re-arranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic!  It can't be stopped by mere board crashes!  It's time for.......

Top of the Bottom:  The Quest for the Goodell Trophy

I'm just surprised the Panthers haven't made it on the list yet. Yeesh, we're that good? ;-)

Jets "at" Dolphins will be one of the London games next year

I use the "at" to indicate that Miami will be the "home" team - thus the one giving up a game

Fucking god damn it. 

KUXr8yo.gif

If it's that popular over there, re-start the WLAF or something. Stop taking home games away from the fans in the actual home cities of these teams.

Even as a Brit who goes to a lot of the NFL games at Wembley I agree. The Premiership floated the idea of some form of competitive overseas game and people went mad about it, to the point that I can't ever see it flying.

I miss NFL Europa so much :( A weekend away in Amsterdam seeing the Admirals was such fun.

Well the Pats have gone over 2 other times previously so, again, I don't think this is some grand Pro-Pats thing

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL asks the owners "what game would you not mind losing" and as Josh mentioned - not having Jets fans in your stadium is probably a good thing

So what did Kraft have to do ot make sure his team was the only AFC East team not traveling across the pond

In fairness they have done it twice already against the Bucs and Rams (IIRC the two highest attendances of the IS games).

Ack, beaten to it by Rippa.

I know the Pats have been there previously, was just making a poor joke. I was going to also make a New England vs. Old England joke but someone that one would've been even worse.

Though I don't buy the what game would you like be most likely to give up because I can't see the Khan choosing to have the Cowboys in London instead of Jax when Cleveland would've been the one I would've chosen.

Next year will each be the Jags and Fins third times over

Plus Tampa has been over twice

So maybe stop putting teams in Florida...

Jags agree to be there till 2016, so after 2016 my guess is they don't go back to London for awhile... atleast not as the home team.

In looking at the teams that have gone over - there are 12 who haven't played there yet

Philly

Washington

Green Bay

Carolina

Arizona

Seattle

Cincy

Cleveland

Baltimore

Indy

Houston

Tenn

I am a little surprised the East Coast teams haven't been sent over yet since the travel is "easiest". (and why I can excuse like Seattle not having to go over)

Clearly they also think Ohio isn't a draw

Green Bay is the most interesting one. I doubt GB will ever go over as the "home" team (especially because of the GB ownership structure) but I also can't imagine a team agreeing to give up their home game against the Packers either