DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

To break the endless yammering about the pros and cons of the double-double E, I had a cool idea for a future Wrestler of the Day Theme Week:

Legit Shooters

And in the spirit of that, who were the best in that respect? You have guys who could do both and were great at either (Lou Thesz, Stu Hart), guys who were okay at one and better at the other (Ken Shamrock, Brock Lesnar), and guys who were piss-poor at both (Koji Kitao). Also it gives a chance for an Alexander Otsuka day which I think is in the best interest of everyone.

Where do we stand on shoot sluts? (Hoping enough people have been around long enough to get that reference!)

• Like 2

Okay, I'm one of the biggest Punk marks going, but I really don't care if he comes back or not. The guy entertained me plenty during his career, (I still enjoy watching his match with Super Dragon over and over again). He's an old 36 due to starting early and working a pretty high impact style most of his career. Yeah, I'd mark out to see him back for a few big matches, but I'd really rather not watch him screw himself up to the point that he's in a wheelchair when he hits 45.

Yeah if he didnt want to be there then why should he be there. And all this he quit shit is ridiculous, theres no off season and hardly any down time he was beat up and burnt out. I'd rather have him at Blackhawk games then coasting in the ring and potentially hurt somebody or hurt himself due to sloppiness. I like the guys work he's a fav of mine but he really did run his course in the WWE after that 14 month reign whatelse was there for him to do? really? I feel like I have said this 100 times on this board already but fuck I wish people would stop talking about it. He's gone this isnt some long drawn out swerve. He's not coming back. I do think He'll wrestle again, in Japan if the moneys right. New Japan is doing good business right now and he would be a crazy draw.

He definitely could have left on better terms, but by doing it the way he did, he let the company know that he wasn't fucking around. History has shown that this attitude will get you a bigger payday in the future, and in the meantime, his wife's still getting paid, getting a push, and he's back to getting a cut of his merch again.

I would bet anything that Punk appears on WWE TV again within the next couple of years. He doesn't need to wrestle but I could imagine him coming back during a show in Chicago to cut a promo or do something in a one-off appearance.

I wouldn't mind seeing Punk return as a manager honestly. Regardless of what you think of his in-ring skills, the guy is a gifted promo. 

The Lesnar match, and half the guys on the roster won't ever have as good a match as the Cena match.

Meanwhile we talk about the Freebirds, Harley Race, Misawa, and all sorts of people who won't ever have another match again. If you don't like the topic of discussion, offer up another subject. We're pretty easily distracted 'round these pa-HEY DEVITT'S DRESSED LIKE A ROBOT!

• Like 4

Meanwhile we talk about the Freebirds, Harley Race, Misawa, and all sorts of people who won't ever have another match again.

What does this have to do with anything? The topic for the last two weeks hasn't been a Punk career retrospective. But maybe that would be more interesting. I didn't love the Lesnar match myself because Heyman had to interfere countless times and each time he did it made Punk look like an idiot for turning his attention away from the beast. Punk and Cena always had great chemistry but on the other hand.. if you can't have a good match with Cena, it's a problem. As much as I dislike the character, the guy is awesome outside of some small gripes where he'll no sell a devastating move.

Say we stay with your topic and we continue to discuss whether Punk should come back. I'm not even sure what's left for him at this point. He's probably not main eventing WrestleMania. I don't see the match with Austin ever happening. It'd be much like a Jericho return where everyone is like "oh this is cool.." for a couple weeks and then he's just another guy again.

Well, we have to wait until Thursday to talk about Finn Balor's debut, maybe Niner's Fan would like to regale us with some posts about Kane's illustrious career?

If nothing else, the classic with Taker was after the last classic with Cena. And the Brock match was after that.

Those three were all in the same year to boot. And I like the Heyman feud it was personal and it felt personal their was emotion to it. Plus it gave Curtis Axel something to do, he was Heymans muscle when Brock wasnt around he served a purpose. Also I like the absurdity of Punks exit from the WWE, going through a table by Kane.

The Punk/Taker match was not nearly the spectacle of any of Taker/HBK or Taker/HHH. The match with Lesnar with not nearly the spectacle of any of Cena/Lesnar. If Punk were to come back he's not better than Cesaro, Zayn, Ambrose, Cena, Rollins, Goldust, Harper, Bryan.. I'd rather see WWE do something with the talent that is already there.

Kane has been terrible for a long time now. When The Shield destroyed him and the Outlaws at WM I thought that was the best use of him. Feed him to the rising stars until he's ready to retire.

• Like 1

I'd rather watch a Kane match than a Punk match.

Speaking of Kane, is he the guy with the most longevity in at least a fairly high-profile role in a major company - if we're counting his earlier incarnations as Isaac Yankem and Fake Diesel, it's been nineteen years - with the least number of memorable matches? Like, if someone were putting together a Kane compilation, what would you even put on it? I don't even think he's terrible as a wrestler; he's just really, really, REALLY mediocre. Is his best work as the hot-tag component of a tag team with a good FIP, like Kane/X-Pac (which I remember enjoying as a tag team). 

• Like 1

The Punk/Taker match was not nearly the spectacle of any of Taker/HBK or Taker/HHH. The match with Lesnar with not nearly the spectacle of any of Cena/Lesnar.

Kane has been terrible for a long time now. When The Shield destroyed him and the Outlaws at WM I thought that was the best use of him. Feed him to the rising stars until he's ready to retire.

No. Just....no.

The Punk/Taker match was not nearly the spectacle of any of Taker/HBK or Taker/HHH. The match with Lesnar with not nearly the spectacle of any of Cena/Lesnar.

No. Just....no.

I don't want to get in to a battle of opinions, but I think the HHH/Taker match are much more interesting than the Punk/Taker match. I've heard people say that the Punk match tells a better story, but I actually think that the structure of the HHH matches is more compelling. Unlike the idea that two old dudes don't have much in the tank so they just have to throw bombs because they know they've lost a step. The build to the Punk match was awesome, but the actual match was lacking in my eyes.

The Hell in a Cell match between HHH/Taker had by far the biggest reactions of anything on the show until The Rock showed up. Every segment Taker/HHH did leading up to their matches was higher rated than anything else on the show by a wide margin.

I like it when someone is like "ugh, HHH/Taker, WHO CARES?!" Uh, apparently most people. I don't remember much of anything that happened in Taker/Punk. I didn't ever think it was a BAD match but it was kind of there.. your typical Taker streak match. Decent but not a lot of drama. I don't remember a near fall where I thought "wow, this is it!"

With HBK and Hunter, they both made me believe that Taker might actually go down.

I hate those 'Taker/HHH matches. They are so overproduced. It's like they're trying so hard to be epic. 

The fans ate them up live, though, so I get that I'm in the minority. I watched the Undertaker WM Streak DVD on Netflix maybe a year or two ago, and really, 'Taker had maybe four good WM matches: the casket match against Mark Henry, that wild match against Ric Flair, the very first HHH match, and the 'Taker/Batista match which was surprisingly solid to me as someone who doesn't typically enjoy Batista. I get the love for all of the Michaels or HHH matches, but what people love about them is what I hate about them. I thought the Punk match outright sucked, too. 

• Like 2

I agree with above sentiments of not enjoying either of the last two Mania Taker/HHH bouts, but both of them FELT like big time matches. Also, they played off perceptions of Triple H's own ego to the extent that the near falls felt convincing. I bought the Triple H tombstone pin on Taker far more than anything in the Punk match or the Lesnar match.

Speaking of Taker-Trips from X-7 which is tits is Wrestlemania 17 still considered the best Wrestlemania? I know its the most current one but I would argue that 30 was a badass Mania and could go toe to toe with 17. And for Niners Fan niether one had Punk and both had Triple H and Kane and the Undertaker.