DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I don't know when it will happen but Punk will probably be back and no one at the WWE will mind when all of his T-Shirts sell out and he makes people some cash.

That being said, i'm going to pick up his Thor Annual. I don't follow Thor but i'm somewhat familiar with his character and i'm interested to see "super fan" Punk write some books.

I hope it says CM Punk as Writer and not Phil Brooks.

Jesse Ventura got to be a fucking Governor under his wrestling name, not his real name. So I don't see why not?

That being said, i'm going to pick up his Thor Annual. I don't follow Thor but i'm somewhat familiar with his character and i'm interested to see "super fan" Punk write some books.

That isn't your daddy's Thor, though. Thor's a woman now.

Punk's story is actually about the Odinson, specifically the young Thor from Aaron's recent run.

That isn't your daddy's Thor, though. Thor's a woman now.

Punk's story is actually about the Odinson, specifically the young Thor from Aaron's recent run.

Punk prefers young boys to women?  His marriage suddenly makes sen- *banned*

• Like 4

On a total random note, I think a guy with a rock band gimmick would be great, like Man Mountain Rock.  I was watching the old 95 RAWs from the Network, and his gimmick seemed very unique since he seemed to be playing live.  The whole live, guitar solo aspect would do it for me.

I don't know when it will happen but Punk will probably be back and no one at the WWE will mind when all of his T-Shirts sell out and he makes people some cash.

Was Raven's Spider-Man story credited to Raven or Scott Levy?

Scott Levy.

• Like 1

I really like Maxx Payne/MMR. I think the gimmick was corny, or maybe it was the look, but the idea of a grunge garage-band looking dude who could actually play the guitar (which I'm pretty sure MMR did) seemed like a pretty zeitgeist-y gimmick. Plus, I enjoy Payne as a wrestler. Good garbage wrestler, and he kinda seemed to be putting it together a bit about the time he left WCW. 

I feel like Payne would have been great doing a less cartoony version of that gimmick in mid-'90s ECW. 

• Like 1

I really like Maxx Payne/MMR. I think the gimmick was corny, or maybe it was the look, but the idea of a grunge garage-band looking dude who could actually play the guitar (which I'm pretty sure MMR did) seemed like a pretty zeitgeist-y gimmick. Plus, I enjoy Payne as a wrestler. Good garbage wrestler, and he kinda seemed to be putting it together a bit about the time he left WCW. 

I feel like Payne would have been great doing a less cartoony version of that gimmick in mid-'90s ECW. 

It was nice hearing Vince like he just discovered rock music, on commentary.  I'm surprised he didn't do a gangsta rap gimmick in like 2000.

It was nice hearing Vince like he just discovered rock music, on commentary.  I'm surprised he didn't do a gangsta rap gimmick in like 2000.

When Sami Zayn was wearing an Op Ivy shirt on the last NXT special, I imagined the hilarity of someone trying to explain ska to Vince.

• Like 2

JR is trying so hard to distance himself from wrestling...they must have paid him a boatload of yen to go over there and do this.

He blogs and podcasts about pro wrestling regularly plus he's pretty much been campaigning for this gig forever it seems.

Having Punk with JR would be rad, but honestly, JR could do it solo ala Joey Styles and it would still be an improvement. I'm honestly keeping my fingers crossed for Don West. WWF thought JR was too southern? FUCK YOU, GFW GOES FULL SOUTHERN. AND THEY'RE HOLLERING. AND THERE'S ROOKIES. 500 ROOKIE CARDS, GEM MINT ROOKIES, I'M TALKING WAX PACKS FULL OF 'EM.

New Japan is owned by a gaming card company.  You know what that means?  Playing card stock.  Rounded corners.  PACKS FULL OF GEM MINT 10s!  "Look at this one, JR!  Karl Anderson!  The Machine Gun! chuck-chuck. pootpootpoot.  I'm doing the machine gun noises!"

I hope there's an intro that says, "This isn't CM Punk writing about Thor.  This is Phil Brooks writing about the Odinson.  Hey, Ed Brubaker, how ya doing."

• Like 3

It was nice hearing Vince like he just discovered rock music, on commentary. I'm surprised he didn't do a gangsta rap gimmick in like 2000.

Better yet, they did it in 2008.

I know I've brought it up here before, but speaking of MMR/Maxx Payne, I wonder whatever became of that documentary he was supposedly putting out. I would not be the least bit surprised if WWE paid him off to keep it from coming out. I did like Kevin Nash's reaction: "Jeez, catching us with pill bottles. What was his next documentary gonna be, watching the boys breathing?" or something to that effect.