DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

And thank god, if he's not back in time for the end of the Authority. That whole storyline has been driven into the ground and hasn't done him any favors (well, except at Wrestlemania).

...that storyline and its leadup are the entire reason why Daniel Bryan is over as a main eventer in WWE.

Only because the audience forced them in the right direction.

• Like 3

I think we can confidently add Henry to Team Authority and Show to Team Cena. I think there's a pretty strong possibility we'll see The Dust Bros and The Usos in the other spots.

I know the Dust Bros are heels now, but them joining up to keep the Authority in power makes absolute ZERO sense considering what the Rhodes' were doing a year ago.

That's ridiculous and also irrelevant to what I was saying. To say the Authority storyline hasn't done Daniel Bryan any favors is mind boggling - the storyline, from a kayfabe perspective and from an actual perspective for the overwhelming majority of fans, made his career. If you think all of those thousands of people were chanting "Yes" because they've all talked for years about Bryan Danielson on the Internet, you've lost your mind. Not everyone in WWE arenas posts on DVDVR.

That's ridiculous and also irrelevant to what I was saying. To say the Authority storyline hasn't done Daniel Bryan any favors is mind boggling - the storyline, from a kayfabe perspective and from an actual perspective for the overwhelming majority of fans, made his career. If you think all of those thousands of people were chanting "Yes" because they've all talked for years about Bryan Danielson on the Internet, you've lost your mind. Not everyone in WWE arenas posts on DVDVR.

I think you have a very selective memory.

Bryan was already extremely over, when he was tagging with Kane in Team Hell No. That's what made him popular with the "mainstream" in the first place and got him a main event push.

They tried to sabotage his push multiple times by giving the "Yes" chants to the Big Show, putting him with the Wyatt family, not putting him in the Royal Rumble and so one. This has nothing to do with storyline.

It was only thanks to the fans forcing their hands that we got our Wrestlemania moment. And the storylines they put him in after Wrestlemania were abysmal once again.

• Like 1

I'm one of the guys who isn't so entrenched in the Internet wrestling community mindset that I'm incapable of seeing that Bryan was pushed to the moon as part of The Authority angle. To say it did him no favors is just silly. He owes his position in the company to that angle and the (this part is important) OVERALL fan response - not to Fat Fuck Freddy behind his keyboard who's been watching ROH since whenever and chants "We Are Awesome" at live events.

Not to say that you're one of "those guys."

I'm one of the guys who isn't so entrenched in the Internet wrestling community mindset that I'm incapable of seeing that Bryan was pushed to the moon as part of The Authority angle. To say it did him no favors is just silly. He owes his position in the company to that angle and the (this part is important) OVERALL fan response - not to Fat Fuck Freddy behind his keyboard who's been watching ROH since whenever and chants "We Are Awesome" at live events.

Not to say that you're one of "those guys."

Not once did I say it was the hardcore Internet ROH fans typing away on their keyboards that got him over.

I was talking about the live audience the whole time. My point was that he was already over with the general audience before the Authority angle, partly thanks to Team Hell No.

Afer Summerslam he had three matches against Orton on three consecutive PPVs, after that he was out of the Authority storyline and would have stayed out of it for good, if it wasn't for the live audience completely shitting on Cena vs. Orton at TLC and him not being in the Royal Rumble.

Never said he wasn't over before the angle - just that he was much, much more over after it. As a result of it. Not as a result of fans saying "We're not gonna take it!!!!!!! Stick it to the McMahons!!!!!!"

The initial contentious statement was "The Authority angle did Bryan no favors." This is a dumb thing to say - it clearly did him quite a few favors.

• Like 1

Never said he wasn't over before the angle - just that he was much, much more over after it. As a result of it. Not as a result of fans saying "We're not gonna take it!!!!!!! Stick it to the McMahons!!!!!!"

The initial contentious statement was "The Authority angle did Bryan no favors." This is a dumb thing to say - it clearly did him quite a few favors.

OK, I have to admit, when I typed that original sentence that started this entire argument, I was actually thinking about the post-Wrestlemania feud against Kane.

We can all agree that the Wrestlemania wins over Triple H, Orton and Batista did him a lot of favors.

We can debate over how much the Orton feud between Summerslam and Hell in a Cell helped him. I would probably agree that he was even more popular after it than he was before it, but I would argue that it was despite of the booking and not because of it.

• Like 1

Wait people don't seem to realize Bryan was over pre-Authority? The guy that main evented Summerslam at the START of the angle.

Just this morning I whipped out my state of the art overness meter (*patent pending). Based off a careful study of the decibels of the Yes chants it can be concluded that before the authority angle, Bryan was at a 10 on the overness scale. After the authority angle, he was at a 11. Conversation over.

From what I've read of the fantasy booking, thank god the iwc didn't book mania or the blood monkeys jumping through picnic tables in the backyard. Terrible.

Reality is, Bryan got an opportunity by wwe, had his cause championed by Cena to the point he was in the upper midcard, and the fans caught on. I think that triple h had every intent of him, Orton, and Batista rolling around in a steroid/bad tattoo triple threat at mania until it became impossible to ignore.

I just find it amazing that a new subset of fans appeared that show the utmost distain for people with differing opinions.

Then I look at real life and stop being suprised.

*attempts to quickly change subject*

Does anyone follow Progress Wrestling? I'm watching their Chapter 13 show this morning.

Technically it's really well put together, and the venue and crowd come across as really fun and unique on video. 

• Like 1

Daniel Bryan returning only to be one member of Team CENA would be pretty disappointing in my opinion.

And thank god, if he's not back in time for the end of the Authority. That whole storyline has been driven into the ground and hasn't done him any favors (well, except at Wrestlemania).

Yeah, re-debuting Bryan as a surprise member of Team Cena?  If history is any indication, that is an idea that would clearly deflate the crowd.

• Like 1