DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Bret Hart in 1997 alone refutes the idea that he couldn't cut a promo. He was amazing that year.

As a face, he came off to me like a regular guy that was working as hard as he could to survive in a land of giants. Promo- and persona-wise, he actually reminds me a lot of Sami Zayn.

Bret was one of my favorite wrestlers as a kid, though, so I know I cut him a ton of slack for the things he wasn't as good at. 

Bret was a great promo heel or face. I agree with Smelly, he was a normal sized guy trying to use his superior wrestling skills to survive and succeed in the land of big men. Just because his promos weren't ridiculous like Flair's or Rock's doesn't mean they weren't great. Bret's style was just completely different, he might've had the most realistic promos I've ever heard.

I'm one of the bigger Kane fans you'll see and even I'm getting a bit tired of him in his current role.  If nothing else, I preferred masked to unmasked.

As far as Bret goes:  He wasn't supposed to be a bombastic promo like Hulk Hogan or whoever.  He wasn't a superman, he was an everyman.  That's why I was cool with his promos being what they were.

• Like 1

Frankly, I think Kane is more than capable of having good matches and has shown that over the years. It's just that it's rarely been his job on the card to do so. 

He stole a golf cart and gave a ref a ride as he ran Raven over. That makes him an all time great in my book.

Let me try and rank the streak off the top of my head.

21. Gonzalez, IX

20. Sid, 13

19. Bundy, XI

18. Snuka, VII

17. Show and Train, XIX

16. Roberts, VIII

15. Kane, XX

14. Bossman, XV

13. HHH, 28

12. Orton, 21

11. HBK, 26

10. Henry, 21

09. Kane, XIV

08. Diesel XII

07. Flair X-8

06. HHH, X7

05. Batista, 21

04. HBK, 25

03. Punk, 29

02. Edge, XIV

01. HHH, 28

I think Id have the Orton match higher up but not sure what it would push out.

He was at the peak of his 'Legend Killer' phase and there were a couple of spots that couldve ended things. The Chokeslam -> RKO was huge at the time.

The Legend Killer/Taker match is the only time I've ever felt the streak was in danger - there was no 'wrong' guy to lose that match IMO and with hindsight Orton maybe should have been given the nod.

Just going back to JBL quickly from last months thread because I missed the discussion, I just want to say that I felt he really blossomed into the main event heel role after a year or two but that intial phase of him being forced down our throats and us being expected to take a lower midcarder seriously as a main event threat just didn't stick at all

I'm one of the bigger Kane fans you'll see and even I'm getting a bit tired of him in his current role.  If nothing else, I preferred masked to unmasked.

As far as Bret goes:  He wasn't supposed to be a bombastic promo like Hulk Hogan or whoever.  He wasn't a superman, he was an everyman.  That's why I was cool with his promos being what they were.

You're right I thought on him more like WWFs Michael Jordan as opposed to a Super hero.

Bret's run before dropping the strap to Shawn drew more than Shawn's run and Shawn had fresher guys to work with like golddust Vader & Mankind.

Why do people always forget about Kane vs Test from No Mercy 2001?  That is a legitimately good match.  Loads of fun, but no one ever mentions it.

He had a good match earlier that year with Albert when he dropped the ic title to him on smackdown

I dont know I think ebbie is right about this one

Considering some of the shit Raven put himself in, this is incredibly mild. There was a thread about matches that 'bring out your inner ghoul' not too long ago. Well, this match is as extreme as I'm going to get. Most of it is comedy too.

They actually referenced this match on the latest JBL/Cole show, Clem Layfield ran over his own foot with a big wheel.  I'd say it was the weirdest thing ever on the show, but the week before they had Blue Meanie pop up and do his dance in the background of a different scene.

There are some people in wrestling that you'll just have trouble hating, regardless of anything else...I own an X-Pac T-shirt, for God's sake.  It helped that Kane debuted in St. Louis at Badd Blood; also, I liked his work as Fake Diesel.

Re: Bret: 1993 King Of The Ring convinced me that Bret had a legitimate shot at beating Hulk Hogan.

Edge at number two makes my skin crawl. Anything bad anyone has said about any wrestler here, Edge did worse.

It's that stupid Puss in Boots "Ooohh" face he did all the time, isn't it? It's as annoying as three kinds of shit.