DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

My sister, brother in law, nephews and neice live in Pittsburgh and I'm going back for the first since the pandemic for Thanksgiving week...and got Pitt Panther, Steelers and Pens tickets. Super excited. I've missed the 412 so much!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

As y'all know, I have seven kids, ranging from 28 years old to 16 months.  Well, I have news. 

I now have a grandson!  Felix Donovan was born yesterday in Florida.  Can't wait to meet him!  I'm a Grandpa!  And my baby is now an Aunt!  What a world.

• Like 18

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Some of you who've been here for awhile might remember me posting about Frozen Dead Guy Days, the Colorado Festival I've volunteered as an emcee at for years. It outgrew the small town of Nederland where it originated 20 years ago, and last week NEW FDGD was held in Estes Park and yours truly was asked to emcee. I was interviewed for the Westword at the show, here it is! (I'm the John Hedgepeth in the article, for anyone who was possibly wondering).

https://www.westword.com/arts/frozen-dead-guy-days-estes-park-16424661

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

At the start of the year, I wanted it to be a year of change. As you know I have Cerebral Palsy and suffer with mental health issues particularly depression. It's been an eventful three months. January 2023, I found out Dr. Jundi was leaving as she's pregnant. I'm really happy for her but thought fuck having spoke to her every month since October 2019. Dr. Jundi has really tried to help me, she's the one who came up with Trazodone. My Wellbeing College has burnt my ass badly two times with Ben and Rebecca so wasn't going to give them a third outing but I've really hit it off with Deborah, my counsellor.

We sorted Mum's belongings out in February. I now wear her leather bracelet with the blessing of Dad/Laura which I've wanted to for years. I found two jumpers made by Mum for her Dad, my Grandad who was like a second Dad to me. I now wear, a relief as I got rid of the jumpers Mum made me, a decision I bitterly regret.

I joined the gym as part of the BEEP scheme, first time in a gym for 15 years. I had to have my induction away from where I live because of my BEEP contact, Megan who I really didn't like. Megan has since left, I now have Ellie who is much better. I have to balance things out though because my body with CP works four times harder compared to someone doing the same without. Having done my induction, I can now go to the one 15 minutes away from where I live.

Adam who is like a brother to me paid a surprise visit on the 5th of March for my birthday the next day. On the 5th of March we went with my Dad to see Creed III, then the pub watching in disbelief at Liverpool 7-0 Manchester United followed by a Shimla Spice curry. Curry is my favourite food and nowhere does it better. The next day was my birthday started with a full English before Aje headed back. Batman was well represented in presents as you'd expect. AEW Revolution 2023 was the 5th of March in the USA but 1am UK time so that was cool alongside the NJPW 51st Anniversary Show, and WWE RAW. Mother's Day was a week later. I usually self-harm on my Birthday and Mother's Day as both events trigger me...but I beat the urge. For the first time since losing Mum 9 years ago. I didn't want to shit the bed stopping myself on my Birthday but doing it a week later undoing that good work. Meant a lot hearing my Dad/Laura/Dr. Jundi/Aje/Alyson/Deborah say how proud of me they were.

I went to see Scream VI with my Sister, Laura's first time at the cinema in 18 years as she has right bad anxiety. Enjoyed the film but more the company for those reasons. It's a day I'll long remember.

Last Tuesday was most moving as it's the last time I'll see Dr. Jundi as she goes on maternity leave next week. I'm really going to miss her for the reasons in the opening paragraph to this post. I got choked up when she's said how very proud she is of me as she's seen me at my highest and lowest ebb. Had a cry when I arrived home. Wednesday will be the last time I talk to her for a year.

For making such progress this year, I treated myself to a Shimla Spice curry on the 31st of March. It's pricey there compared to where else you could have gone and I don't have much brass but thought fuck it.

Let's see what the next quarter brings. Thank you for the support I get here. Really does mean a lot. Love, Paul xxx.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Technico Support said:

So great to see things going well for you, Paul.  Good on ya and keep on keeping on, my dude.

Thanks, Brian/@Technico Support. Appreciate it, mate. Thanks to @JLSigman, @Control, @Tabe, @S.K.o.S. and @gatling. Love, Paul xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

My youngest daughter has her last day of college “classes” today.  She’s an education major, so she didn’t have classes this semester.  Instead she was assigned to one of the local elementary schools for student teaching, five days a week, eight hours a day.  She’s graduating summa cam laude with almost perfect 4.0 gpa (one b in four years).

We’ve got two other graduations to attend this May.  Middle child finishes her master’s degree this semester and oldest daughter graduates from law school next month. 

Wife and I intend to put our feet up tonight, drink a bit, and pat ourselves on the back.  We done good.  We have five daughters, so it’s a minor miracle we and they survived their teens.  They were your typical teenage hellions in high school. Somehow, they figured themselves out in college and became career-minded, started dating respectable boyfriends, took church more seriously, didn’t get tatted up, etc.  They’ve turned out well.  I’m immensely proud of them all.  Most of the credit goes to my wife.  They’d probably be basket cases today if she’d hadn’t been a steadying influence.   Thank God she decided she didn’t need to marry up and accepted my proposal instead 30 years ago,

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 5

I have occasionally posted updates on my progress at Rubik's Cube competitions over the last several years.  This past weekend, I finally achieved a goal I never thought possible 6 years ago when I started speedcubing and that I've been actively chasing for 3 years or so.  That is, an average under 20 seconds for the standard 3x3 Rubik's cube.  I've had multiple other opportunities and choked them away but I finally achieved it on Sunday, ironically at the same competition where I got my very first official single time under 20 seconds.  Similar to scoring in gymnastics and figure skating, averages are calculated by throwing out your best and worst times and then averaging the remaining 3 in the middle.  With 5 solves ranging in time from 17.19 to 20.03, I finished with an average of 18.53 - over 2 seconds faster than my previous personal record.  It felt (and feels) incredible to have set a goal and finally reached it. 

• Like 6

I'm gonna be moving to Spokane (eastern side of Washington, where it DOESN'T rain 300 days a year) in the next few months. Been kinda feeling like there wasn't anything left for me around here anyway ever since breaking up with my girlfriend a year and a half ago and out of the blue my sister tells me they (her, husband and at least 2 of their 4 kids) are gonna sell their place and move to Spokane. She starts telling me about it, showing me pics, and it actually looks like a decent place (plus housing in Western Washington is outrageously expensive) so I decided, fuck it, I can take my last few classes online and when I'm ready to get to work, just find something over there. Most excited I've felt in a while. Can't wait to get the hell out of here. Western Washington has gone to shit. And at least I'll have family over there with me.

• Like 4

Happy Mother's Day y'all.  My daughter brought her son this week and I got to visit with my grandbaby.  He's great.  Big ball of goo. My oldest daughter came for the weekend too -- she and her husband are expecting too. 

So, my baby is 21 months, turning two in three months.  Grandbaby is 4 months.  New baby due in November.  Three babies for Christmas!

• Like 7

We just had our first Little League practice with my new team for this season. I have four returning players, including my nephew, and eight boys new to my team. I loved what I saw, we got some talented kids and by the end of the night the boys had all made friends and started acting like a team. It's gonna be a good season.

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

I posted a transaction to my organization's internal financial system today that got a document number ending in THREE zeroes.

ONE IN A THOUSAND, BABY! That's only six orders of magnitude short of being Satnam Singh!

• Like 1

My youngest sister married her boyfriend of 7-8 years yesterday. Took place in some far out country area and was hot, but it was a nice experience overall hanging around family and finally seeing the two wed. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 2:56 PM, BrianS81177 said:

Guess maybe I better look at Yakima instead then...

I KID TABE, I KID!!

I legit was kidding when I wrote this, but it looks like Yakima is where I'm headed. Actually south of Yakima, almost on the Washington/Oregon border. A little town called Goldendale. Population of like 3500. Since I currently live in an area with a population of 98,000 people I am greatly looking forward to it.

On 6/19/2023 at 3:06 PM, BrianS81177 said:

I legit was kidding when I wrote this, but it looks like Yakima is where I'm headed. Actually south of Yakima, almost on the Washington/Oregon border. A little town called Goldendale. Population of like 3500. Since I currently live in an area with a population of 98,000 people I am greatly looking forward to it.

Population 3400 in 2010. That's....... small. Never heard of it before now. Enjoy it! 

On 4/3/2023 at 6:18 PM, The Natural said:

At the start of the year, I wanted it to be a year of change. As you know I have Cerebral Palsy and suffer with mental health issues particularly depression. It's been an eventful three months. January 2023, I found out Dr. Jundi was leaving as she's pregnant. I'm really happy for her but thought fuck having spoke to her every month since October 2019. Dr. Jundi has really tried to help me, she's the one who came up with Trazodone. My Wellbeing College has burnt my ass badly two times with Ben and Rebecca so wasn't going to give them a third outing but I've really hit it off with Deborah, my counsellor.

We sorted Mum's belongings out in February. I now wear her leather bracelet with the blessing of Dad/Laura which I've wanted to for years. I found two jumpers made by Mum for her Dad, my Grandad who was like a second Dad to me. I now wear, a relief as I got rid of the jumpers Mum made me, a decision I bitterly regret.

I joined the gym as part of the BEEP scheme, first time in a gym for 15 years. I had to have my induction away from where I live because of my BEEP contact, Megan who I really didn't like. Megan has since left, I now have Ellie who is much better. I have to balance things out though because my body with CP works four times harder compared to someone doing the same without. Having done my induction, I can now go to the one 15 minutes away from where I live.

Adam who is like a brother to me paid a surprise visit on the 5th of March for my birthday the next day. On the 5th of March we went with my Dad to see Creed III, then the pub watching in disbelief at Liverpool 7-0 Manchester United followed by a Shimla Spice curry. Curry is my favourite food and nowhere does it better. The next day was my birthday started with a full English before Aje headed back. Batman was well represented in presents as you'd expect. AEW Revolution 2023 was the 5th of March in the USA but 1am UK time so that was cool alongside the NJPW 51st Anniversary Show, and WWE RAW. Mother's Day was a week later. I usually self-harm on my Birthday and Mother's Day as both events trigger me...but I beat the urge. For the first time since losing Mum 9 years ago. I didn't want to shit the bed stopping myself on my Birthday but doing it a week later undoing that good work. Meant a lot hearing my Dad/Laura/Dr. Jundi/Aje/Alyson/Deborah say how proud of me they were.

I went to see Scream VI with my Sister, Laura's first time at the cinema in 18 years as she has right bad anxiety. Enjoyed the film but more the company for those reasons. It's a day I'll long remember.

Last Tuesday was most moving as it's the last time I'll see Dr. Jundi as she goes on maternity leave next week. I'm really going to miss her for the reasons in the opening paragraph to this post. I got choked up when she's said how very proud she is of me as she's seen me at my highest and lowest ebb. Had a cry when I arrived home. Wednesday will be the last time I talk to her for a year.

For making such progress this year, I treated myself to a Shimla Spice curry on the 31st of March. It's pricey there compared to where else you could have gone and I don't have much brass but thought fuck it.

Let's see what the next quarter brings. Thank you for the support I get here. Really does mean a lot. Love, Paul xxx.

So I made a post about the first quarter of 2023 as it came to an end so here's the second.

Started going to the gym again for the first time in 15 years in February. I started Swimming again for the first time in 25 years and that's something I didn't see myself ever doing again. Been using floats till I get my confidence up. I tried Yoga for the first time ever and it wasn't for me. I lost track of all these positions and last 15 minutes you lie down in the dark to be one with nature. Felt a right muppet. Contrast that to Pilates. I like how the instructor who is a right character goes through each level, 1-4 twice and you choose. I go fortnightly. The Pilates class sell out quick but touch wood I usually get in. I can now go to the gym closest to where I live which makes a big difference having had my induction there instead of going to the other gym further away needing two buses. I then got a emergency doctors appointment sending me up to surgery the next day. The healing process takes a while with this operation needing it packed daily then alternate days as it has to heal from the inside out. Can't swim until then.

I've really gelled with Deborah, my counsellor from My Wellbeing College. I wasn't going to try a third time there as Ben and Rebecca badly let me down especially Rebecca. I see Deborah once a week face to face and she kindly hasn't counted telephone calls. You normally have 12 sessions but she's given me 18. I was really moved when she said she'd give me 6 extra sessions. I have 4 left.

I usually self-harm on my Birthday/Mother's Day in March, June for Mum's Anniversary and December is Mum's birthday/Christmas time as these events especially trigger me. For the first time since losing Mum 9 years ago, I beat the urge on my Birthday/Mother's Day. The hardest date is the Anniversary which is tomorrow, the 26th of June. I don't want to undo the hard work put in by me and those who have helped me in 2023. If I don't self-harm, does that mean I love my Mum any less or more by not doing what I've done every year since losing Mum, the 26th of June 2014?

It's been lovely hearing Dr. Gupta who I've known since a young boy saying how well I've done, keep it up. Dr. Eldridge who has as well saying similar. Likewise Deborah and my neurologist Dr. Stoppard all this week. Yep four appointments.

I've seen old school friends including some I haven't seen since those school days either in Mathew and by chance Martin on Friday as I went up to the bar when I was there with Alyson, David and Alison.

I'm doing good with the Trazodone, the counselling and the exercise. In doing though it's a balancing act with my body working four times harder doing the same thing as someone without. I do feel the pressure of keeping this going and not letting people down, especially my Mum/Dad/Sister. Thanks for the support here xxx.

• Like 6

On 6/25/2023 at 9:35 AM, The Natural said:

So I made a post about the first quarter of 2023 as it came to an end so here's the second.

Started going to the gym again for the first time in 15 years in February. I started Swimming again for the first time in 25 years and that's something I didn't see myself ever doing again. Been using floats till I get my confidence up. I tried Yoga for the first time ever and it wasn't for me. I lost track of all these positions and last 15 minutes you lie down in the dark to be one with nature. Felt a right muppet. Contrast that to Pilates. I like how the instructor who is a right character goes through each level, 1-4 twice and you choose. I go fortnightly. The Pilates class sell out quick but touch wood I usually get in. I can now go to the gym closest to where I live which makes a big difference having had my induction there instead of going to the other gym further away needing two buses. I then got a emergency doctors appointment sending me up to surgery the next day. The healing process takes a while with this operation needing it packed daily then alternate days as it has to heal from the inside out. Can't swim until then.

I've really gelled with Deborah, my counsellor from My Wellbeing College. I wasn't going to try a third time there as Ben and Rebecca badly let me down especially Rebecca. I see Deborah once a week face to face and she kindly hasn't counted telephone calls. You normally have 12 sessions but she's given me 18. I was really moved when she said she'd give me 6 extra sessions. I have 4 left.

I usually self-harm on my Birthday/Mother's Day in March, June for Mum's Anniversary and December is Mum's birthday/Christmas time as these events especially trigger me. For the first time since losing Mum 9 years ago, I beat the urge on my Birthday/Mother's Day. The hardest date is the Anniversary which is tomorrow, the 26th of June. I don't want to undo the hard work put in by me and those who have helped me in 2023. If I don't self-harm, does that mean I love my Mum any less or more by not doing what I've done every year since losing Mum, the 26th of June 2014?

It's been lovely hearing Dr. Gupta who I've known since a young boy saying how well I've done, keep it up. Dr. Eldridge who has as well saying similar. Likewise Deborah and my neurologist Dr. Stoppard all this week. Yep four appointments.

I've seen old school friends including some I haven't seen since those school days either in Mathew and by chance Martin on Friday as I went up to the bar when I was there with Alyson, David and Alison.

I'm doing good with the Trazodone, the counselling and the exercise. In doing though it's a balancing act with my body working four times harder doing the same thing as someone without. I do feel the pressure of keeping this going and not letting people down, especially my Mum/Dad/Sister. Thanks for the support here xxx.

You've got this. Keeping fighting the fight and working on yourself. 

• Thanks 1