DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

I posted a few days ago that I'd turned in my notice at my current job. I don't really have a new job lined up, but I just need to get out of here while I still have a good relationship with my employer. I'm burned out and finally realizing that I shouldn't be working for a church.

But anyways, two weeks ago a job at the region's biggest newspaper came open. But not just any job, one for a Music and Entertainment writer. Before I went to work for the place I do now, I spent 6 years as a freelance music and entertainment writer. Back in August, I wrote my first story for this paper as a freelancer, and the editor told me that it was as good as any staff writer could have done. It even made the cover of the weekend section of the paper. So I applied for the job a week ago.

In the past I've had a pretty good relationship with the managing editor of the newspaper. We interact online and are even Facebook friends (even though we've never met in real life) and have chatted about having lunch together, but our schedules have never really alligned. When I applied for the job I sent him a copy of my cover letter and resume and figured that I'd hear something from HR eventually.

On Friday I got an email from the managing editor thanking me for my resume and suggesting we have lunch soon. A few emails later I've got a lunch meeting with him next Monday (the 26th). I said to him in an email that we'd talked about having lunch long before the job came open, so we didn't just have to talk about the job. His reply was "it's all good either way!".

So is this an unofficial interview?

• Like 1

Despite all odds, my girlfriend and I are still a couple.  We both know that the (insert name of cosmic entity you observe) wants us to be together because the builder of our townhouse mistakenly added a $16K terrace to the loft.  Fuck yeah!

I am looking forward to a little of this action once this mother fucker is done:

DSC_0676.jpg

Our Super Bowl parties are going to be awesome.  The signs are there.  We are supposed to be a blessed union..

There is no way I am divorcing this woman after we are married.  There will be no trilogy to the JT Finds A Wife saga.

If you hear some shit about arson and a murder / suicide going down in Odenton, Maryland, pour one out for your homeboy J.T.  She tried to leave me and I had no choice.

• Like 2

The candle is crooked in the tall lantern.  And the cushion on the loveseat needs to be pushed down, as well as turn the accent pillows so the design is going in the same direction.

BLR, constantly criticizing others' interior decorating when I've got an industrial garbage liner full of trash sitting in my bedroom. :lol:

The candle is crooked in the tall lantern.  And the cushion on the loveseat needs to be pushed down, as well as turn the accent pillows so the design is going in the same direction.

BLR, constantly criticizing others' interior decorating when I've got an industrial garbage liner full of trash sitting in my bedroom. :lol:

Their terrace sucks.  Mine will be better.  I am totally getting one of these from Pier One.

best-wicker-furniture-shop-ed-0611-08-lg

That's what I'm feeling, but I don't want to press it too hard. I don't want to find out halfway through the interview that they've filled the position and then the whole thing gets incredibly awkward.

You have to toe the line between showing aggressive interest and being pushy.

You don't want to be an asshole, but you absolutely want to set yourself apart from your competition.

Any qualified person can do the job; you have to sell the fact that you want the job.

Went to lunch with workmmates. I overheard two women talking to each other at another table, when one says to the other:

"When you come back from the restroom, can I taste your taco?"

I lost my shit.

• Like 2

I done mine on Friday, after I figured out that this last check was the start of a new year. Kept the last pay stub for 2014 and used my 2013's W-2 for my employee's and my own federal ID number. Turbo taxed it and I am now no more richer than I was before but am in less debt than before. Bills before thrills, y'all.

Just found out that there's a theatre here showing A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night!

I was planning to force myself to sit through Mr. Turner tonight, which is a 2.5 hour biopic about a 17th century British painter.  Instead I get to watch an Iranian movie about a girl who rides a skateboard and is a vampire!

Ohhhhh yeah!

• Like 1

My buddy surprised me with tickets for me and him to go see Faith No More on April 16th. They sold out within minutes of going on sale, but he managed to score 2. They're the one band I've wanted to see live that I never got the chance to so I'm really stoked.

• Like 3

I went to Bojangles for breakfast yesterday like I normally do on my days off.  I was in the drivethru line, and I get to tha pay winda, and the guy tells me "your total was $6.28, but the person in front of you paid for your order".  Definitely inspired me to do the same whenever I can, so I decided to pay it forward when I was at Steak n' Shake for lunch later that day.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

I just made a longbow out of PVC pipe and paracord.  About a 40 - 45 lb. draw.  My boys helped me with it and they now think I'm some combination of Genghis Khan, Nikola Tesla, and MacGyver.  Basically I'm the fucking Serpentor of dads. 

Super cheap and easy to do so I'll probably make some more to give away as gifts. 

My employer just decided to standardize all their benefits for US employees to what our folks in California get.  So I just got 8 weeks paternity leave that I wasn't expecting to get this year.  Add that to vacation, holidays and getting my next sabbatical in 2 years, and I've got 37 weeks off paid coming to me over the next 3 years.  Not gonna complain about that.

• Like 4

Wow not too shabby Robert.

I'm coming up on 5 years with my company so I'm getting bumped to 3 weeks vacation. On top of that we get 10 personal days a year so I get a total of 25 paid days off starting April 1st. Most I've ever gotten. I'll also be getting a bonus check too. One of our part timers just had her 5 year anniversary here about 4 months ago and she got a check for a couple hundered bucks. I'm full time and the assistant manager to boot, so I'm hoping for a nice sized check come May...