DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

I went to the doctor today for a sore throat and cough that bugged me all weekend, and they suggested I get my ears flushed.  For whatever reason, my ears weren't naturally cleaning themselves like they should have been.

It must have been going on for a long time, because holy shit. . .It's like the entire upper range of my hearing was gone.  I'm hearing sounds now that I haven't heard for years.  I didn't even know the cat made some of these noises, and even my own voice seems different.

Now I'm gonna have to listen to my entire music library and see what else I've been missing.

So the doctors that have been treating my dad at the seattle cancer care alliance have finally settled on a treatment option after weeks of back and forth. To put it simply, they're going to harvest stem cells from a "half match" donor and inject them into his spinal fluid. A half match donor would be a family member (parent, sibling or child). There are 100% matches, but the recovery time on those is much longer and there is higher chance of complications. Since there are age limitations on donorship (can't be over 60) that only leaves one of his sisters (who has had a child, which apparently complicates the donor process a lot), my sister (who has also had a child) and me. So, likely sometime next week I will be going in and getting a physical and whatnot to see if I'm suitable (which I can't for the life of me imagine why I wouldn't be) and then from there start the process. 

Following up on this, I was indeed a suitable donor and have completed the donation process. They gave the cells to my dad yesterday. He's gonna be sick for a while as my cells basically take over and destroy all of his old cancerous cells, but if all goes well he should get to come home in 100 days (fingers crossed). I'm still sore as hell from the shots I received in preparation for donating (they basically give you booster shots that make your body produce way more white blood cells than it normally does, and from that they get the stem cells)' but that should go away as the effects of the shots wear off over the next few days. 

• Like 5

My stand up comedy tour has been a BIG success and my agent is already getting me bookings into next year. As a  matter of fact, I found out last night that I have a GREAT gig at a fancy ass dinner club ($) on St. Paddy's day (double $). Yeah, this may be what I do to ease myself away from living my whole life in radio world.

• Like 3

Planning to resign tomorrow before I get fired.  Sad face.  I know a few people here have come through brief periods of unemployment recently, hoping I can do the same.

Well, I did resign, and I still don't have a job, but I began receiving EI payments (aka UI payments for Americans) this past week, so that's something.  It wasn't a sure thing that I was going to get them, since I voluntarily resigned.   They had to believe that I felt forced to resign.

As A follow-up to the Dec 7th post, little Robur & Waldo are doing fine. The first couple of days they couldn't keep anything down, suspect that the neighbors were giving them cheap adult cat food, rather than kitten chow. We got them some (human) baby food and kitten chow and they're doing much better. I still feel a little weird about swiping them back, but goddamnit, if you're going to leave kittens outside in single degree weather you're just too stupid to be allowed to have them. I know the little guys will have a long, happy life now as Pelan cats live better than most people.

• Like 1

As A follow-up to the Dec 7th post, little Robur & Waldo are doing fine. The first couple of days they couldn't keep anything down, suspect that the neighbors were giving them cheap adult cat food, rather than kitten chow. We got them some (human) baby food and kitten chow and they're doing much better. I still feel a little weird about swiping them back, but goddamnit, if you're going to leave kittens outside in single degree weather you're just too stupid to be allowed to have them. I know the little guys will have a long, happy life now as Pelan cats live better than most people.

Good on ya!

My young cat was one I swiped off the street as well. When we took her in and went to the vet, they estimated she was six months old.  I remembered seeing her walking around the neighborhood a few months before that, which means the dumb hicks who owned her were letting her roam the streets at 2-3 months.  AND she had worms and was severely underweight.  Believe me, I didn't feel bad at all when the "lost cat" signs showed up.  I will always disagree with the "let cats roam" people.  Those cats, statistically, live half as long.  If you're going to have a pet, then have a pet.

Good on ya!

My young cat was one I swiped off the street as well. When we took her in and went to the vet, they estimated she was six months old.  I remembered seeing her walking around the neighborhood a few months before that, which means the dumb hicks who owned her were letting her roam the streets at 2-3 months.  AND she had worms and was severely underweight.  Believe me, I didn't feel bad at all when the "lost cat" signs showed up.  I will always disagree with the "let cats roam" people.  Those cats, statistically, live half as long.  If you're going to have a pet, then have a pet.

Yeah, there's a big difference between letting the cats go outside and letting cats "roam" (which is usually lazy-asshole speak for "fend for themselves".) In the winter, dinner gets served at 6PM and then no more outside. Spring and summer we have to be more flexible, but the bottom line is that everyone is inside before we go to bed. Needless to say, the whole gang is spayed or neutered or on the list to be.

That's the other important stat, life expectancy for an un-neutered male, 5-6 years. Neutered, 15-20.  Our two oldest boys, Capt. Nemo & Dr. Nikola turn 15 this March and other than having slowed down a bit are doing fine. Nikola's actually on borrowed time, over a year ago the vet saw a mass next to his lungs and pronounced it inoperable due to his age and gave him four to five months. Yeah, it's been close to sixteen months, and other than a good deal of sneezing and occasional bouts of shortness of breath (after he's been running around), he's doing fine. He was a feral kitten we took in, so in many respects, he's been beating the odds for a long, long time.

• Like 1

As a semi-joke gift I got a New Day Unicorn Horn for a friend and had it shipped to his house without telling him about it. He came home to find his wife had opened the package and his young son was wearing it, and apparently loves the hell out of it. I'm usually immune to "cute children" pictures, but I've gotta admit that's pretty awesome.

EDIT: And now he's sending me videos of his son wearing it chanting "New. Day Rocks." This man is a good father.

• Like 4

I consider it good news that the price-gouging pharma prick Martin Shkreli was just picked up by the FBI for major securities fraud. Maybe he'll be forced to sell his Wu-Tang album to make bail.

• Like 1

I'm all for him being beaten up, no need for prison rape stuff, that's really not a funny subject, maybe he can just get cancer and slowly die due to horrible prison health care.

• Like 1

The things that happen when you are bored at work before a week off...

Found myself a round-trip flight, hotel room, insurance and a ticket for around $930 bucks Canadian, so tomorrow night, I will be sitting in JerryWorld watching the beloved New York Jets take on the Dallas Cowboys. I guess this is my Christmas gift to myself. :D

• Like 2