DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

3 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I just hit 90 days of sobriety a few days ago. I've struggled since I was in junior high with opiate addiction, kicking it for bit and then relapsing. This last time I gave up and intentionally overdosed. If my friend hadn't chosen that moment to surprise me with lunch at my apartment, I wouldn't be here today. I decided to actually do this the right way this time instead of trying to do it alone. I moved into a sober living community and have been going to a lot of sober support meetings while maintaining an outpatient rehab schedule. Life isn't perfect but it's getting better day by day. I just wanted to put my happiness out there and since I've visited this site almost every day since high school, why not here?

Ninety days is a long-ass time, good on ya for that! Trust me, it gets weird and better all at once, I've been sober 30 years as of last month on the 26th. I will admit to being a daily opiate user, (as prescribed and very damn careful about it), it's my own deal with the devil as I sort of like being mobile and without my meds I can't get out of bed.  A support system is very helpful, you CAN do it alone, but nobody NEEDS to.  One of the guys I sponsored was a halibut boat captain who would be out in the Bering Sea for weeks at a time with a crew that couldn't wait to get into port so they could get fucked up out of their minds. He found meetings on line and even by fax (this was back in the 90's when everybody had a fax machine.) 

• Like 2

just got a promotion at work. i am now salaried. it is a weird feeling.  my job duties don't change much and the pay is better, so it seems like a no brainer. had to buzz my mohawk tho. i've had it off-and-on for like 12 years.  i feel so normal  without it.

• Like 4

I'm at night two of Dead and Company in Boulder hiding in the shade waiting for the show to start and it's been a fun, wild ride so far. I'm with family and three of my oldest friends who I started following the Dead with when we were 17. One lives here, and one flew in from Texas and the other from Jersey. 32 years later and here we are. It's awesome.  

4 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I'm at night two of Dead and Company in Boulder hiding in the shade waiting for the show to start and it's been a fun, wild ride so far. I'm with family and three of my oldest friends who I started following the Dead with when we were 17. One lives here, and one flew in from Texas and the other from Jersey. 32 years later and here we are. It's awesome.  

That just reminds me of a great New Yorker cartoon with a guy interviewing for a job telling the interviewer "That 8 year gap in my resume was when I was following the Dead".

• Haha 1

I helped Team Manitoba win a gold medal at the Masters Bowling Association of Canada national championships at the start of the month.

Razorblade, I just finished going six months without drinking. Keep up the good work!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I helped Team Manitoba win a gold medal at the Masters Bowling Association of Canada national championships at the start of the month.

Razorblade, I just finished going six months without drinking. Keep up the good work!

6 months! Nicely done, hope you stick with it! 

All best to both you and Razorblade!

• Like 2

Okay then, I woke up and am now officially the oldest I've ever been at 61 (happy birthday to me) and I feel great (except for my knees). My wife and little sister-in-law went in on a swell chocolate cake and I got to pre-order the new Jack McDevitt collection from Subterranean Press, so I'm a happy guy, I have a feeling that something has been planned, (two sisters-in-law spent the day with Kathy yesterday and they were gone all day, (supposedly at Wal-Mart, it may be hellishly busy at Wal-Mart but it doesn't take eight hours...) We shall see, otherwise, I'll spend the day playing on-line poker and fucking around here.  The concept that I have far fewer years left on this planet than I've experienced doesn't really bother me, I've had a hell of a run and there's plenty left in the tank. ?

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Okay then, I woke up and am now officially the oldest I've ever been at 61 (happy birthday to me) and I feel great (except for my knees). My wife and little sister-in-law went in on a swell chocolate cake and I got to pre-order the new Jack McDevitt collection from Subterranean Press, so I'm a happy guy, I have a feeling that something has been planned, (two sisters-in-law spent the day with Kathy yesterday and they were gone all day, (supposedly at Wal-Mart, it may be hellishly busy at Wal-Mart but it doesn't take eight hours...) We shall see, otherwise, I'll spend the day playing on-line poker and fucking around here.  The concept that I have far fewer years left on this planet than I've experienced doesn't really bother me, I've had a hell of a run and there's plenty left in the tank. ?

Happy birthday, pal!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red is Dead said:

life is pain, suffering and misery; an inevitable march towards obsolescence.

We're old enough around here that we're already obsolete. So we don't have to worry about that. Happy birthday, OSJ!

• Thanks 1

Happy Birthday, OSJ!

I'm heading to Greece for three weeks. I'll be on here at times.  But other than that I'm ready for three weeks of sun, sand and Ouzo. Lots and lots of Ouzo. Oh, and great food too.

• Thanks 1

So my work has had four different managers in the last year, for various reasons I'm not getting into here. But the latest one gave me a (slight) pay rise and made me Assistant Manager. Which realistically should have happened about 15 years ago, but oh well. Better late than never. But also he's going on Holiday the day after tomorrow so I'll be running the show for eight days. Although the last time a  (previous) boss did that, he was supposed to be in Tamil Nadu for ten days, and then all of Southern India flooded and Chennai Airport was closed for three weeks... and then, only reopened for domestic flights. International flights weren't going to start again for two months after that, so he drove to Mumbai instead, with his pregnant wife and his eleven month old daughter. And then driving in Mumbai is famously the stuff on nightmares.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:05 AM, Zimbra said:

I just went into what I thought was going to be a bad meeting with my boss and ended up with a promotion and a raise.  Everything's coming up Zimbra!

So the approvals for my promotion have been caught up in corporate bureaucratic hell and my boss has been kind of evasive, so I figured it had gotten spiked and she was avoiding telling me.

Nope!  She called yesterday to let me know the approvals had come through and they were backdating the promotion (and the raise) to June.  So I'm a real salaried employee now.

Does this mean I have to stop screwing around on the board and start working at work?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

My boss bought me a fancy phone because I'm Ass manage now. So I can lurk at work. And post,like I am going. Doing. Bloody tiny virtual buttons. I have Man hands!

• Like 1

Cindy just got the good word that she's switching jobs to a firm which just moved in across the street from my current workplace. Even more hilarious, my company is going to move there as well next year. Anyone else have that kind of situation where you and your SO can commute from home to the exact same office building?