DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 1:35 AM, SturmCRF said:

I'm a Dad! My girlfriend is a fucking superhero. Her waters broke at 4:30 yesterday morning, about seven weeks early, the plan had been a Caesarean in mid January but she had to do it the hard way without any painkillers stronger than gas and air as she's had a blood clotting issue.

Robin, my son (fuck it feels surreal to type that) is doing really well in the premature baby unit, his Mum insisted I go home for the night as I'm a terrible sleeper and I was never going to get any at the hospital, but going back to see them in a couple of hours. Having had maybe three and a half hours sleep, but hey, owt is better than nowt, as I think they say up North.

Just thought I'd let my internet home know, this definitely qualifies as really swell. Between my lifelong obsession with wrestling and my girlfriend becoming an AEW and New Japan and Stardom maniac since meeting me a week before the great 2020 pandemic lockdown fast tracked everything, I am hopeful that this little guy will also love big, meaty men and insane, bendy women performing absurd acts of semi-scripted violence for his entertainment. But if he's just into Tik Toks and Blippi and haircuts, we'll love him anyway. FATHERHOOD~!!!

I just saw this!  Congrats to you and yours, my man.  Having a child is the most challenging yet rewarding thing you’ll probably ever experience.  Hang in there and take the bad with the good with the bad with the good.  Best to all of you.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's in our contract that whenever the local school district closes for weather so does our office so I have a snow day today!

Honestly this might whip even more ass at 43 than it did when I was a kid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

It's in our contract that whenever the local school district closes for weather so does our office so I have a snow day today!

Honestly this might whip even more ass at 43 than it did when I was a kid.

"Age does not diminish the extreme delight of a snow day." - Mr. Venebles, my high school math teacher, and wiseass man

• Like 4

On 1/9/2024 at 1:42 PM, JLSigman said:

"Age does not diminish the extreme delight of a snow day." - Mr. Venebles, my high school math teacher, and wiseass man

They just cancelled school again tomorrow so I'll have a glass of port in Mr Venebles' honor while I'm sitting my ass at home.

• Like 2

Oh I'm not a teacher, I just have a union baybee.

This will probably be my last one, though.  Our contract is getting re-negotiated next week and our boss has made it pretty clear he wants that out.  Which makes sense: the school has gotten a little snow day-happy since they can do 'virtual learning' days now.  Hopefully we can get some extra PTO in exchange.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I get to fire the person who pushed me out of my old company nine years ago and my employer gets to buy her firm really cheaply.  Going to enjoy all of it way too much, even though she did me a favor. I fell upward and landed in a better position with a competitor.  She consolidated her power, took over the firm, then spent nine years chasing off clients and smart employees because she didn’t like their politics (,ie, not liberal enough for her). Actually, I should thank her for that too. My current employer and I scooped up quite a few great hires and big accounts with minimal effort thanks to her.  I truly am a bit grateful to her.  She drove a prestigious company to the brink of bankruptcy in less than a decade,  it’s a decent-sized achievement that made my (current) firm much more profitable and put me in a position to rehire friends and build a fun place to work.

I’m going to regret handling this like an asshole later, but for now I feel entitled. She picked a fight with me because I’m active in my church and waged war with friends and colleagues because they voted Republican and other culture wars nonsense.  I’m going to unleash my inner jerk in a couple hours and show her the same consideration she’s shown a lot of other people. And she has a really generous severance package.  I felt a bit queasy after I read her contract the first time.  But it’s an acceptable price to pay to be rid of her.

Lol, it’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood today and karma’s a bitch.

Edited by Villanova Grad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My dad’s quadruple bypass went well. A long slow recovery ahead of him. 
Very relieved and a lot of support and taking care of the fam going forward. 

Been weighing on me. 
Having a beer.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Octopus said:

My dad’s quadruple bypass went well. A long slow recovery ahead of him. 
Very relieved and a lot of support and taking care of the fam going forward. 

Been weighing on me. 
Having a beer.

When I saw you were the last post, I fully expected an update on how you delivered your hamburger helper baby this morning.

This will do instead.

• Haha 1