DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

My daughter won a regional essay competition and now she has to give a speech in the state finals.  There isn't a bead of sweat on her head, but I am as nervous AF.

Pray for me.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

My daughter won a regional essay competition and now she has to give a speech in the state finals.  There isn't a bead of sweat on her head, but I am as nervous AF.

Pray for me.

Just hope your daughter doesn't do what I did:

I was selected to give a speech at my junior high graduation.  In the middle, I messed up in a way that NO ONE would have noticed - if I hadn't literally facepalmed myself for messing up.  Yeaaaah.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 10:42 AM, Zimbra said:

You know what's a really good feeling? Getting an Indeed notification to apply for the job you quit six months ago as you're walking in to sign the offer letter for your new job.

I once took an interview, strictly out of politeness, because I'd already been informed that I was getting selected for a different job (for more money, better hours, and much better benefits). While I was in the waiting room for the interview, I got a phone call from HR telling me that I'd passed the drug screening, and that they could now officially offer me the job. It made for a very easy interview, since I really didn't give two shits if this place offered me a position or not (they didn't).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The world may be ending but I just had a swell night hanging out with my wife watching Netflix. She’s in bed now and I have YouTube on my tv watching Age of Empires 2 videos and on my 3rd glass of Laphroig. I have wings in the oven. I’ve been in my head for the past few days and out of work, but tonight I’m tipsy  and happy with life. Had a headache all day but went away a few hours ago. Appreciate you guys on here that I’ve joked with and talked with recently. I have no wrestling friends outside of a kind indulgence of small talk. Sometimes the little things in life we don’t realize means quite a bit to people without realizing. I’m going to pour my next scotch and add disaronno. 

Not sure if this post goes here. I’m just happy. 

• Like 9

On 3/21/2020 at 8:57 PM, OctopusCinema said:

Not sure if this post goes here. I’m just happy. 

Pretty sure "I'm just happy" counts as swell news so, yeah, it goes here.  Glad you're feeling good.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news on the job/union front, for once...

The union talked the state into opening up work-from-home arrangements to anyone willing and able to do so. I got a laptop for that purpose this weekend, and I just have to go in tomorrow and get set up for that, and I can start doing my job at home Tuesday.

As my child’s school is closed for the rest of the year and we got word her summer camp cancelled the first two weeks (at minimum), I may be working at home for the foreseeable future, which I am completely fine with.

• Like 1

Working from home ROCKS.

Speaking of homes... a friend from my wife’s old job just settled on a house. Because my wife pointed him to the realtor who sold it to him (also a friend from her old job), he is giving us some money as a way of saying thanks for the referral.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Super Ape said:

Working from home ROCKS.

Speaking of homes... a friend from my wife’s old job just settled on a house. Because my wife pointed him to the realtor who sold it to him (also a friend from her old job), he is giving us some money as a way of saying thanks for the referral.

Working from home indeed ROCKS! I've been doing it a long time now. First move was I decided that I would never, ever work another job that required that I wear a tie. That went okay for sixteen years with F.W. Dodge selling market intel on the construction biz. Next move, work a job that I can come and go as I please as long as I hit objectives. Kicked ass at Onvia for several years before calling it quits. Lastly, I can write, I can edit books, I can pick winners... Why the fuck not just do this full-time and damn the torpedoes? Been working for close to two decades now. I can't imagine ever having to go into an office for work (well, other than my home office.)

• 3 weeks later...

Bought tickets to Orlando, Florida for next month.  So, so fucking tired of everything here being closed.

Looking forward to going to a mall to do some shopping and getting a proper haircut.  Hopefully Universal Studios will be reopened by then, haven't been to Harry Potter World yet.

16 years "together as a couple" with Helen.

2 houses,

3 continents,

1 wedding,

2 cats,

1 daughter.

Wouldn't change a day...even the bad ones. Because we're at each other's sides. She's my strength, common sense, and I'm her frivolity and adventure.

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 4:09 AM, Red is Dead said:

16 years "together as a couple" with Helen.

2 houses,

3 continents,

1 wedding,

2 cats,

1 daughter.

Wouldn't change a day...even the bad ones. Because we're at each other's sides. She's my strength, common sense, and I'm her frivolity and adventure.

16 years is great! Kathy and I will celebrate 40 years together if I make it to Sept 27. (I jokes, of course I will, there are too many films on Rippa's list of the 2010's that I haven't seen yet).

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 1:47 AM, OSJ said:

16 years is great! Kathy and I will celebrate 40 years together if I make it to Sept 27. (I jokes, of course I will, there are too many films on Rippa's list of the 2010's that I haven't seen yet).

40 years? Holy...congratulations to the pair of you!

I'm determined not to end up like both sets of parents. Div orced and bitter at each other.

Yeah sometimes we have issues...but instead of letting shit fester, we talk and work through issues. Helps we have differing hobbies as well.

She's the best thing that ever happened to me and I hope to make her as proud of me as I am of her.

• Like 1

It's one of those rare times that I get to be right about something, and throw it in the wife's face.  While I was working, I got a call from the bank about a possible fraud alert. I ask her to call the bank and find out what's going on. She insists that it's probably some kind of scam call, but she calls anyway. She's allgedly told that there's no fraud alert, and that I got a scam call. But, just to be safe, they're going to cancel my debit card. Since they don't have a debit card desgined for "You're an asshole" I'm getting one with kitties on it.

Two hours later, her sister (who is a supervisor at that bank) texts me for some more info about the number that called me, and what info they gave me. She sends both of us a group text, telling us that the call I got was from her bank's fraud dept about a suspicious charge, and that my wife can "suck it." Unfortunately, it's too late to cancel the kitten design on the debit card.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not used to being anything but mad or disgusted at the government.  This feels weird.

But it's still great fucking news!  And it explicitly protects trans people!

Happy Pride, y'all!

• Like 10

Got an eye exam yesterday, and my bifocals are now even more bifocally than before! 

Then went to Zenni Optical online and paid less than $200 for two pairs of glasses, when normally from LensCrafters it's $500 for one. I can't wait to get them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Got an eye exam yesterday, and my bifocals are now even more bifocally than before! 

Then went to Zenni Optical online and paid less than $200 for two pairs of glasses, when normally from LensCrafters it's $500 for one. I can't wait to get them.

I'm beyond due for a new pair. I lost track of how long I had my current one but it's been slowly falling apart on me. I've been considering Warby Parker but don't know how good they really are. But that does sound like a helluva deal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...