DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

• 2 weeks later...

My father very nearly died between Christmas and new years 2017.  Ended up having emergency brain surgery as a last ditch attempt to save him after the doctors finally found the issue was bacterial meningitis.  The neurosurgeon that did the surgery wasn't even sure having the surgery was the right thing to do, but it was the only option they had left.  He spent about 3 weeks in ICU and 8 in the hospital.  He weighed maybe 130 pounds when he got out.

Last Sunday he spent four hours cleaning up brush and removing multiple trees with me in 100 degree weather, then went and shot sporting clays for a couple hours in the afternoon.  He'll be 79 this Sunday.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I don't understand. Were you not the same age as him before?

No, Bret is two weeks older, so for most of the year we are the same age. That make sense? Trust me, when you hit sixty you grab whatever low-hanging fruit you can get.

Also it was a cheap excuse to shill Silvia's new book, which everyone should buy stat.

Edited by OSJ

On 7/24/2019 at 11:29 AM, Contentious C said:

In what topic?  That's usually a good indicator of brilliant/stupid.

If it's an MBA, then I think we all know the answer to that one.

Criminal Justice with an emphasis on Forensic Psychology.

Well, it's an emphasis on Forensic Psychology as of now. There's a few different concentrations so I'm not sure which one I'll focus on, but the core classes are all the same.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 1

In just about six hours Kathy and I will celebrate 34 years of wedded bliss. Anyone ever tells you that there's no such thing as love at first sight or finding your perfect soulmate, tell 'em they can shove it where the sun don't shine.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

We have moved! Just about a mile from our old digs, but instead of a place that was perpetually under construction, (none of which was ever completed, George's illegals are great at tearing shit up, putting stuff together, not so much.) It's a little bit smaller, so I had to box up all the paperbacks and comics and put them in storage, and two of cats ran away, (Tyrion and Varys  had both gotten wild on us in the last year, staying away from home for days. So they'll be okay.) We have two kittens from Bushi (who also ran off to resume her life as a stray), so we're putting stuff away and watching Spike and Arya run amok among the boxes. I feel bad about leaving cats behind, but they made their choice, we tried rounding them up and no luck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 9:27 PM, Greggulator said:

This is my set at the local comedy club. They have a contest every year. I got DQd because I went over the time limit as I could not see the light. But I still am really happy with the set.

I applaud your commitment to the bit. I'm not the storytelling/extended bit type of comedian so we have different styles, but you kept it moving with a good amount of punches to keep people entertained. Nice job!

• Like 1

Did five comedy sets in two weeks to start September, including hosting the open-mic at my area Funny Bone for the first time. Have had some good times at the rasslin shows. Shook hands with D-Lo Brown last night. Saw a Rock 'N' Express match in 2019. Good times.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2019 at 10:27 PM, Greggulator said:

This is my set at the local comedy club. They have a contest every year. I got DQd because I went over the time limit as I could not see the light. But I still am really happy with the set.

Good set. Enjoy your new title.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 3:24 PM, PB-13 said:

I applaud your commitment to the bit. I'm not the storytelling/extended bit type of comedian so we have different styles, but you kept it moving with a good amount of punches to keep people entertained. Nice job!

Thanks man! I've been doing comedy to some degree for I think 12 years now. Sometimes I get really into it. Sometimes I take a break and won't do anything for a while. But I've learned some things that really work for me doing character stuff. I actually started my comedy stuff doing storytelling and sketch comedy. Then I moved to stand-up. I tried it just as me a few times and really didn't like it/feel comfortable. I don't know why, but performing as a character just works better for me when I come up with material. 

But I work on the material at regular stand-up open mics. I've learned that I've had to make the character work within the confines of those 5 minutes or whatever I'll get for stage time. I have to spend some amount of time to introduce the character so the audience buys in. It's so much better for the act to do that while peppering in some laugh lines. And then I just have to continue to punch in lines when I'm working out my material at open mics. So I think it makes my act fit in pretty well at a more traditional stand-up club in addition to a more forgiving alt. theater. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, the transmission on my beloved electric blue Scion TC RS6 blew the other day and now I'm the proud new owner of a 2020 Toyota Corolla.

I'm a little bummed because I've had that Scion since my daughter was six (she's sixteen now) and the car and I have been through a lot from weekend trips to NYC to ditching speeding tickets in North Carolina.  I'm also not thrilled about having a car payment again.

However I'm long overdue for a new whip and I was thrilled to death that the saga between me and my ex old lady didn't destroy my beacon score.   I was a little apprehensive about filling out the credit application, but then good numbers came back and they couldn't wait to sell me a car.

Now I have to iron out some DMV weirdness and I should be GTG.

• Like 2

Finally got an interview for a tenure-track job, after five years of adjuncting after my PhD and writing a(n award-winning) book. They gave me super short notice, so the interview is on Tuesday, and I have a long-planned trip with my wife scheduled for this weekend, so I'm not gonna get to prep much, but they'll recognize my value or they won't, I guess.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Control said:

Finally got an interview for a tenure-track job, after five years of adjuncting after my PhD and writing a(n award-winning) book. They gave me super short notice, so the interview is on Tuesday, and I have a long-planned trip with my wife scheduled for this weekend, so I'm not gonna get to prep much, but they'll recognize my value or they won't, I guess.

Soon you will have to change your board handle to Doctor Control.

You are in my prayers, man.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

DMV saga 1 of three now complete.  I've turned in my old MD plates.

Now I have to haunt Virginia DMV for the registration and title for my current brand spankin' new vehicle and then the 600 pound bench press will be re-registering my new car in MD before they start monkeying around with the status of my driver's license.

Virginia residency won't come soon enough.  My old boo and I are supposed to start looking for a realtor at the end of the year.  Her daughter still needs some time to get back on her feet and I am a guy that likes to keep my word. 

She has until next March to get her shit together.  I'm not making her move in the dead of Winter with a three year old daughter to worry about.  She can take care of it in the Spring when normal people do.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I haven't gotten around to posting this but we bought a house in what was a rather quick process.  The real estate agent is aggressive and has known us for years (my old neighbor) so she's been doing whatever to get us a good house.  It's exciting, stressful and has me full of various emotions.  But I am going to miss living in Baltimore for fucked up and chaotic as it can be it was a pretty fun 5 years.  And with the move I already decided I'll be looking for another job once I move in (it's 40 minutes away in Harford County but I'd rather not drive 95 5 days a week)  Plus with no chance of upward movement after being here for 4+ years I just don't feel motivated enough to stick around for them.  It's going to be crazy but I'm up for the challenge.  Now I just need to figure out how to save money and not  buy everything under the sun ($80 for two figures is not something I should be doing for awhile but I digress)

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 4