DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:58 AM, Control said:

Lol. A grand scheme were this not an academic publisher. 24 hardcovers would be like a third of the entire print run.

Scholarly books rarely have a second printing, but I’m hoping that the low price + topic means I can sell out the 300 printed paperbacks.

I am so proud of you!

MOVIE FEAST REPRESENT~!!!!

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:55 PM, OSJ said:

Ask me how many of these cheap bastards bought my last book... ? 

Hey, I sent you money. 

I am just complete shit when it comes to my promise of writing a review.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Hey, I sent you money. 

I am just complete shit when it comes to my promise of writing a review.

That you did, bro! No worries, though I would love to see the review someday.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

That you did, bro! No worries, though I would love to see the review someday.

I am just a dumb guy whose mind is consumed by other thoughts right now. 

This to shall pass and that review will get polished up and will see the light of day.

• Thanks 1

Finally FINALLY got to launch the new blog my buddy Zak and I have been working on getting ready for months:

http://www.miserablepileofsecrets.com/

It's a look into our horror fandom, including cons, video games, movies, and FUCKING W*ING, SON:

http://www.miserablepileofsecrets.com/2018/10/16/the-curse-of-the-barbed-wire-bat-jason-vs-michael-myers-vs-grave-digger/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats on not completely shitting the bed yesterday, America.

Also I found out yesterday that, as of Monday, I'll no longer have to sit at the front desk at work.  I might actually be able to do my job without being interrupted every 5 minutes!

• Like 3

So after calling out my employer’s HR office on violating policy re: background checks (specifically, they used information from seven years ago to disqualify me from my promotion when our union contract only lets them go back two), I was told I wasn’t going to be removed from the civil service list for the position I interviewed for.

Then last week I was offered the job.

So now after Thanksgiving, I will be a caseworker for the welfare department in Pennsylvania. It was a fight, but I got what I wanted and will be moving on.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Super Ape said:

So after calling out my employer’s HR office on violating policy re: background checks (specifically, they used information from seven years ago to disqualify me from my promotion when our union contract only lets them go back two), I was told I wasn’t going to be removed from the civil service list for the position I interviewed for.

Then last week I was offered the job.

So now after Thanksgiving, I will be a caseworker for the welfare department in Pennsylvania. It was a fight, but I got what I wanted and will be moving on.

I highly doubt this is the case, but it would be an interesting (if somewhat Machiavellian) twist if that were part of the test of getting hired: Fighting against red tape incorrectly applied.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Passed my Canadian Citizenship exam last week - ceremony will be early January - after that I'll be a full-time hoser eh 

Until then, “hoser” is still a slur coming from you.

• Haha 1

My wife and I closed on our first house on Friday and took possession on the same day(though 7 hours later than we were supposed to since the sellers had very little packed and nothing loaded in the Uhaul).  My dad and I moved 5 pickup truck loads of Christmas decorations(indoor and outdoor), lumber, and kitchen goods.  I took another two loads on Sunday and one on Monday.  I took three large totes over today and got one of the bedrooms painted.  I've had work done on the furnace, ordered a new 200 amp panel to pickup at Home Depot tomorrow, have a guy coming on Saturday to look at a floor joist that is splitting and needs sistered and have to call the plumber for an estimate on a new water heater installation.  I'm going to pack in the garage tomorrow; tear apart a pallet, sand the boards, and stain them on Thursday to put up a pots and pans rack on Friday morning, paint the other bedroom Friday afternoon and then pack more each evening so we can haul more boxes and totes over the weekend.  Have to get carpet put in the bedroom I painted today, get the electrical done, get Comcast in to run cable since there is no coax cable run in the house save for one very old looking RG-59 cable, build a base for a granite countertop to sit on and get it stained or painted and then probably pack and move more boxes all before the 14th when the movers come to haul all the furniture away.  I'm fat, out of shape, exhausted, and loving every minute of it.  

• Like 4

I know a lot of people have horror stories about Comcast, but knock on wood we've had no issues with them in the 10 years or so we've had service from them.  I'm just hoping it won't cost an arm and a leg to get it done with all the other repairs and expenses going on.  

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Say what hoser ?

20190126-150618.jpg

The test was actually quite simple: they asked you to spell the words "Color" "Flavor" and "Defenseman" and if you spelled them "Colour"  "Flavour" and "Defenceman" you pass. I'm going to have to take it in order to get my dream job that just opened up as the new Pigskin Pete: Oskie Wee Wee, Oskie Wa Wa, Holy Macinaw, Tigers Eat Em Raw!!!!!!

I have a job interview on Wednesday at the local courthouse. By coincidence, my wife was yapping with another girlscout mom, who also works there. When she told her I'd applied there, she said "I hope he gets it, we're always short-handed and desperate for help." Which ought to be a good sign. And, unlike the last time I thought being desperate for help was a good sign, nobody I'm related to works there, so I don't have to worry about getting axed due to office political bullshit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2019 recap so far -

Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon - severe mental health case.  Client been hospitalized 5 times previously.  Gets into a fight with professional (minor league) basketball player brother (7 foot tall).  Runs to kitchen, grabs a knife to ward him off.  Never gets closer than 10 feet to him.  Brother calls 911 to get mental health professionals to take him to hospital.  Cops with no mental health training show up and take him to jail instead and gets stuck with an ICE hold because DACA.  Set case for trial, they dismiss about a week before trial.  He's in ICE custody, but if his immigration lawyer is any good, he'll be out soon since the only reason he's there just got dismissed.

Sexual Assault of a Child No-billed by the Grand Jury.  16 year old bought a 21 year old a plane ticket to fly from California to Texas.  Sneaks him into house, mom catches them.  In Texas, if within three years, it's ok.  after 17, it's ok.  Find out girl was 10 days away from 17th birthday.  Ask Grand Jury to disregard the law and do the right thing.  They actually do it.

Probation violation on a felony driving while intoxicated.  Client held at no bond in front of one of the worst judges in Texas in a county I rarely go to.  I walk in, Judge remembers me, chats me up about my 6 kids.  Compare notes on kids.  She asks why I'm there, tell her, she cuts my client loose without a hearing. 

Can't complain so far.  Next week is a continuous sexual abuse of a child trial where my client is probably innocent, but is probably going to get destroyed in trial.  Co-counsel has never tried one of these.  She asked what our chances are and I told her 90-10 we lose.  But that means we have a chance.  Today I'm set on a Capital Murder, but it's not going, so I'm chillin. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

Probation violation on a felony driving while intoxicated.  Client held at no bond in front of one of the worst judges in Texas in a county I rarely go to.  I walk in, Judge remembers me, chats me up about my 6 kids.  Compare notes on kids.  She asks why I'm there, tell her, she cuts my client loose without a hearing. 

Our legal system at work.  Jesus Christ.

19 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Our legal system at work.  Jesus Christ.

The real problem is she spent a week in jail without a bond before I showed up. If the judge really cared so little about the case, she didn’t have to have her arrested in the first place.

• Like 1