DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Janice, on the other hand, might be less enthused...

EXCUSE ME, DID YOU SAY FIVE~??

And I would like to take this opportunity to say on behalf of the other guys that we will expect to see regular posts from James in the DAD Zone thread.

On 11/25/2017 at 10:32 AM, sabremike said:

I got a coffee at Starbucks today and they gave me a free banana.

I'm not sure that this is "Really Swell News",  but it was news to me and is now news to you... Apparently, we are getting our twelfth cat and temporarily a thirteenth. I'd mentioned in another thread my friend committing suicide and his dad wanting to start over elsewhere, well there was the matter of his five cats. One we got from the shelter, but he decided he liked Ramsey and Alex's place better so we gave up after the umpteenth time he ran back home the six blocks to our old place and hopped in their window. Whether he likes it or not, his ass is going out to the boonies where my sister-in-law lives where this running away six blocks isn't going to be an option.  She'll keep him indoors for a few weeks and gradually get him acclimated to the new digs.

Anyway, Kathy has always had a soft spot for Bella, (no neither of those),  a long-haired jet-black female of some 5 years of age. Apparently Bella is coming here with one kitten in tow, the kitten is going to another sister-in-law, so that she'll have a trio of tuxedo cats all well under a year old.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, J.H. said:

IT'S A GIRL~!!!!!

26231602_10155900063278886_2667729203644

End of May/Start of June can't get here soon enough!

James

Dean and I can tell you all the best places to purchase your shotgun cleaning accessories.

• Haha 3

On 1/15/2017 at 7:19 PM, J.T. said:

I had to haul ass up to MD on Friday because my beloved domestic female partner had to be rushed to the ER.

Turns out she's got a kidney stone.  Still not fun but better than something more serious.  I have her swimming in cranberry juice and Lentil soup right now..

Her heart says, I love you, baby, but her eyes say, Burn in Hell, you bastard.

Oof. I had 40 of the fuckers. Worst pain ever. Took so long to get the procedure, the date of,  I'd got rid of them. Unfortunately I found out after I had the suppository. Pain in the ass.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Happy Australia Day to all our forumites down under! I plan on celebrating with vegemite sandwiches.

Watch Mark Lewin matches and eat a wallaby. Do not screw this up and watch wallaby matches and try to eat Mark Lewin, it will not end well.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Watch Mark Lewin matches and eat a wallaby. Do not screw this up and watch wallaby matches and try to eat Mark Lewin, it will not end well.

Watching Mark Lewis matches doesn’t always go well either. I’d probably rather watch a wallaby unless Lewis is a grumpy babyface against an obnoxious heel or he’s wrestling Terry Funk. 

Unless you have some 1960s footage you’ve been hiding?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My first Rubik's Cube competition as an organizer, and not just a competitor, went off today without a hitch. We had an overflow crowd at one of the libraries here in Spokane and a good time was had by all.

On a personal level, I destroyed my personal best times in every event and could not be happier with how I performed.  All 5 of my solves in the standard 3x3 Rubik's Cube event were faster than my previous best time in a competition.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Today a caller spent five minutes trying to get me to switch careers.  For those who haven't previously seen me oversharing about my job, I work fro the IRS and my usual workday is to spend 1.5-3 hours answering incalls and the rest of the day doing paper cases like installment payment requests, misapplied payments (90 percent of the time this means the second spouse on a return tried to make a payment toward a joint debt but got the year wrong, preventing a systemic transfer from the "dummy" account that usually just says "Hey, this person filed as this other person's spouse!" to the person who put their name on Line 1) and gently explaining to people that we all believe that they lost money on their 2012 401k flush, but they have to file a return to show that loss or we're legally obligated to assume 100% profit.

I usually get at least one compliment on my voice and phone manner per week.  My usual response is "I did choir and theatre in high school and added a little radio in college; it pushed the East Texas out of me." Most people say something generic about how they could see that making me well-suited for my current line. This guy was different, and repeatedly encouraged me to look him up on LinkedIn so he could hook me up with his friend who directs national radio ads and could hook me up with other voice directors.  There is basically no chance of me making that kind of a life change a month away from 41, and there is a huge chasm between the vocal skills to calm someone in a panic over an IRS letter vs the vocal skills needed to play a character, but it was the most flattering interaction I've had with a taxpayer in 7 years at this job and I wanted to gush a little.

• Like 7

Last summer, my wife started her own Youtube channel.  It's a shopping and scrapbooking channel where she shows off purchases and things she's made.  It's been waaaaaaaaaay more successful than either of us could have ever imagined (2650 subscribers and counting).  And she has the absolute nicest viewers in the world - always a kind word, tons of compliments, you name it.  She even had to get a PO box because people wanted to mail her gifts (and they do - one or two a week!)  It's been sooooo beneficial for her.  I could not be more proud of her!

Anyway, this morning she was out and about shopping and she got recognized.  "OH MY GOD!"  "YOU'RE A CELEBRITY!"  "YOU'RE MY FAVORITE YOUTUBER!"  "CAN I GET A PICTURE WITH YOU?????"  Not just her, it made *MY* day.  

I just had to share that.

• Like 5