DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

He's a remarkably cool guy too. I told him that the only PPV I ever bought was his fight with Royce Gracie. When I told him my wife was rooting for Gracie he had me call her and put him on the ohone. Later she came down, met him, and got a pic with him too. Very nice guy and really great to his fans.

So the doctors that have been treating my dad at the seattle cancer care alliance have finally settled on a treatment option after weeks of back and forth. To put it simply, they're going to harvest stem cells from a "half match" donor and inject them into his spinal fluid. A half match donor would be a family member (parent, sibling or child). There are 100% matches, but the recovery time on those is much longer and there is higher chance of complications. Since there are age limitations on donorship (can't be over 60) that only leaves one of his sisters (who has had a child, which apparently complicates the donor process a lot), my sister (who has also had a child) and me. So, likely sometime next week I will be going in and getting a physical and whatnot to see if I'm suitable (which I can't for the life of me imagine why I wouldn't be) and then from there start the process. 

Ah. Didn't read the earlier posts. Congratulations grandpa. You may now commence complaining about the government, hiking your pants up to your nipples, driving like a maniac and yelling at children to get off your lawn.

• Like 1

My son's Mother is ten years older than me. She had her first child when she was 16 (she had mine when she was 41). So I became a semi-Grandfather at 32*, and my son became an uncle at 3 years old. He's 11 now, and an uncle 5 times (so far)**.

* We go with Great-Uncle, though. Because I'm her Uncle's Dad.

** Three of his nephews he doesn't see though. His half-Brother is a complete fuck-up (who should probably be in jail right now, and is probably going back there soon enough).

I was asked by one of my colleagues to give a guest lecture in her very popular class. It's the first time I've been asked to give a guest lecture on a subject that I'm (supposedly) an expert on, so it'll be interesting.

• Like 1

I just started playing D&D. I played once or twice when I was a kid -- like, for a few hours each time before we got bored. I'm not a fantasy fan by any means. However, my wife is a huge fantasy fan. And three of our friends played as kids and wanted to start up a campaign. They asked us. I agreed because I knew my wife would love it, but she wouldn't make the leap to playing D&D without my involvement because she's a bit on the shy side. I am not above role-playing or dorky stuff (I have e-feded as recently as a year ago and have been in plenty of simulated sports leagues like OOTP), but I would pass if not for my wife's involvement just because fantasy stuff makes my eyes glaze over.

Thoughts as someone in his late-30s embarking on his first D&D Campaign:

1) It is such an ingenious game. I love how it's put together. We were assigned characters via some cheat sheets, but they all match super well together in terms of abilities and weaknesses. I'm playing a human fighter (I chose the name "Narthrax Zolator" for no reason whatsoever). That's just really great for the various villains and the like on the quest.

2) I can absolutely see why kids of a certain type absolutely get obsessed with this. There's the escapist part of it -- like in Freaks in Geeks, where a nerdy outcast can be a hero for a few hours before going back to real life. But there's also the cooperative and storytelling part of a campaign, too. Having those types of skills can really go a long way in actual adult life. And then there's also just the general dicking around with friends, which is always nice.

3) However, the fantasy stuff is just not nor will ever be for me. It's jut a matter of taste. I sort of just glaze over and check my phone when we start talking about dragon's lairs and village elders and things lie that. I do like it when I have to roll a bunch of dice to see if I kill someone, and figuring out our strategies.

Most importantly, my wife loves playing. It's cool spending a bunch of time with her and our friends in a setting like this.

People still play D & D? That's cool... Closet we came was nearly thirty years ago, when we and another couple decided to play. After spending the entire afternoon rolling up our characters without any start of the actual campaign in sight I decided that if I was going to put this much time and creativity into something, it would be a novel where I would damn well get paid for it.

I've also come back to D&D in my 30s (I was way into it as a teen and quit playing in HS) and I'm having a blast with it.  Although I'm less interested in the dice-rolling, killing parts of it and more into the fruity roleplaying bits and farting around with my friends.

I'm gearing up to run a campaign for my girlfriend and some of her friends, all of whom are or were theater people.  I expect it to be amazing.

Hey everyone, I normally do not do this, but...

I'd like to plug a just finished web series that is written and stars one of my best friends.  It's called "The Skeleton Crew" and it's a very fun mix of comedy and drama.  It's been a labor of love he's been working on for a few years too, and he is one of the most talented writers I know. 

Please spare 30 minutes and watch, it would be greatly appreciated!  (And if you stick around a few episodes, you may see yours truly in a Stan Lee-esque cameo.)

(Some NSFW situations & language, but otherwise, enjoy!)

• 2 weeks later...

I've started talking to a new lady months after an awful breakup of a three-plus year relationship (that resulted in her *just* moving out of our apartment this weekend). I've been having some medical issues that popped up over the last week, and this fucking chick...proceeds to send me a cookie arrangement as a "get well soon" gift.

Something similar happened once in the three-plus years with the ex. I like this.

• Like 3

I think we're finally turning a corner.

There was a horrendous attack in Leytonstone underground station - a 29 year old man went with a knife and a machete to injure and maim individuals on their ride home. He was shouting it was all in retaliation for Syria.

Two brilliant parts from this.

1) the police got to the situation and neutralised the man within 8 minutes of the first sighting of a knife, minimising a potential catastrophe. Three injured in the attack, one heavily. They will all thankfully pull through due to the quick actions of the professionals involved. 

2) You ain't Muslim, bruv. Four words caught at the end of the video someone was recording of the man being taken down. Four simple words uttered by a young Asian man. Four words that has summed up what the majority of the allah (peace be upon him) worshipping individuals want to say to any insurgent/rebel/freedom fighter/jihadist. Four words that sum up the last 10 years of violence perfectly. 

The media have latched onto this with abandon; I hope this wont get twisted and perverted by the far right - this could be the breakthrough that people need to see that it's not all Muslims - just those fucks that twist the words of the Qu'ran.

I fucking love this country sometimes. #youaintmuslimbruv

• Like 3