DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

Meh. The argument's a bit played out. The Reigns side argued that Bryan was too physically fragile to be the guy, and the Bryan side argued that Reigns wasn't good enough or over enough to be the guy.

It turned out we were both right, and everyone lost the argument.

Not quite. One can get more over and one can (and has) become better. One doesn't get less fragile. And yes, I will keep the argument going anytime I'm given a chance to do so.

But hey, we've got Kane in the title picture, so it's all good... ;-)

Meh. The argument's a bit played out. The Reigns side argued that Bryan was too physically fragile to be the guy, and the Bryan side argued that Reigns wasn't good enough or over enough to be the guy.

It turned out we were both right, and everyone lost the argument.

Before his health deserted him, my dad loved to go fishing. He didn't care about actually catching anything and never invested any money in gear. Maybe some new hooks and bobbers every decade or so. A container of nightcrawlers and a quiet spot on a lake and he was set for a day. I spent a lot of happy hours in boats and on shorelines with him as a kid. Twice we went fishing for "big" fish, once on Green Bay with his brother, once on Lake Huron with a guide - both times going for king salmon. Dad didn't catch a salmon either time and I don't think he cared one iota.

A couple months ago, a guy here at work asked me to salmon fishing with him on the Columbia River here in Washington. He's been after me for a couple years to go with him and I've never been able to. Well, this time I agreed to go. Got to tell Dad I was going before he passed away and thank him for all the times we went together.

Anyway, the trip was this past Saturday and it was incredible. I got the first salmon and it was by far the biggest fish I've ever caught - 30lbs, 44 inches. Our guide said it was the biggest anybody had caught with him all year. Maybe 2 hours later, my buddy caught his own "biggest ever" - 28lbs. I ended up catching my limit and will have fish to eat for...well...just about forever :)

It's corny I know but it felt good to be able to get away, even for just a day, and have a great time doing something that my dad really loved doing.

• Like 5

Before his health deserted him, my dad loved to go fishing. He didn't care about actually catching anything and never invested any money in gear. Maybe some new hooks and bobbers every decade or so. A container of nightcrawlers and a quiet spot on a lake and he was set for a day. I spent a lot of happy hours in boats and on shorelines with him as a kid. Twice we went fishing for "big" fish, once on Green Bay with his brother, once on Lake Huron with a guide - both times going for king salmon. Dad didn't catch a salmon either time and I don't think he cared one iota.

A couple months ago, a guy here at work asked me to salmon fishing with him on the Columbia River here in Washington. He's been after me for a couple years to go with him and I've never been able to. Well, this time I agreed to go. Got to tell Dad I was going before he passed away and thank him for all the times we went together.

Anyway, the trip was this past Saturday and it was incredible. I got the first salmon and it was by far the biggest fish I've ever caught - 30lbs, 44 inches. Our guide said it was the biggest anybody had caught with him all year. Maybe 2 hours later, my buddy caught his own "biggest ever" - 28lbs. I ended up catching my limit and will have fish to eat for...well...just about forever :)

It's corny I know but it felt good to be able to get away, even for just a day, and have a great time doing something that my dad really loved doing.

My dad was a hell of an outdoors man, like the "born a hundred years too late" type of outdoors man. After he passed away, I found myself spending more time in the mountains and in the high desert here. I hear his voice louder there than ever and VIVIDLY remember the lessons he taught me. Today would have been my old man's b-day...67.

I hope you felt your dad close. Cherish the moments you do.

• Like 1

This is joined mid-joke, but it's part of my comedy set from Sunday at the Westport Funny Bone in St. Louis.  Had a really fun weekend (and paid gigs are always a nice perk).

(For the record, feedback is welcome, positive or negative.  I do get a bit robotic in my delivery, so I'm aware of that much...LOL.)

• Like 4

Congrats, Pete!  Best wishes and welcome to the married life.

Going to Disney tomorrow with the wife and family.  There's fun for the nephews, but for us it's all about Epcot and the around the world feature.  Cool displays, sure.  Beers "around the world"?  Hell, yeah.  Finding killer Japanese stuff you'd have to look for online?  Oh, hell yeah!  This is going to be a really fun time, and thankfully the weather will play nice this time.

• Like 1

This is joined mid-joke, but it's part of my comedy set from Sunday at the Westport Funny Bone in St. Louis. Had a really fun weekend (and paid gigs are always a nice perk).

(For the record, feedback is welcome, positive or negative. I do get a bit robotic in my delivery, so I'm aware of that much...LOL.)

I like your material quite a bit. Some clever stuff and you seem to cover lots of relatable topics. My advice, though I've never done standup myself, is to hone the way you transition from joke to joke. Maybe a bit more of the adlibbing you did based on audience reaction. Overall I enjoyed it and would watch more of your stuff.

• Like 1

This is joined mid-joke, but it's part of my comedy set from Sunday at the Westport Funny Bone in St. Louis. Had a really fun weekend (and paid gigs are always a nice perk).

(For the record, feedback is welcome, positive or negative. I do get a bit robotic in my delivery, so I'm aware of that much...LOL.)

I like your material quite a bit. Some clever stuff and you seem to cover lots of relatable topics. My advice, though I've never done standup myself, is to hone the way you transition from joke to joke. Maybe a bit more of the adlibbing you did based on audience reaction. Overall I enjoyed it and would watch more of your stuff.

Transitions have always been a weakness of mine.  I have a lot of trouble remembering my material, so I spend as much time coming up with ways to "link" one joke to another as I do coming up with actual jokes.

Transitions have always been a weakness of mine.  I have a lot of trouble remembering my material, so I spend as much time coming up with ways to "link" one joke to another as I do coming up with actual jokes.

I would agree with the transitions but the material is great. Honestly, keep doing this and keep working on it. Personally the "awkward" feel of some of it couple with your look is actually bordering on really, really good if that makes any sense. Keep on it!

• Like 1