DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

Yesterday I got the biggest paycheck I've ever received for doing radio. I am easily making 30% more per check than I was a year ago. Meanwhile, the station I left a little over a year ago to come to where I am posted it's worst ratings ever. It almost didn't show up in the Nielson survey. We, on the other hand, in one year have become one of the top three stations in the market. Winning is awesome.

• Like 5

I'm going to put this here because last year my mom battled breast cancer, and today she is happy and in good health.  I'm doing a fundraiser through my CrossFit gym to provide early detection screening for those who can not afford it or whose insurance coverage denies.  Here is my story, and a link to the fundraiser.  Any pledge would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can donate a few bucks.  

https://fundraise.barbellsforboobs.org/fundraise?fcid=502859

In 2013, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her cancer was detected early, and doctors were able to treat it quickly and aggressively. She was strong, composed, and positive throughout her treatment. It was inspiring to watch, and I can not be more proud of how hard she fought, and the amazing grace in which she handled this challenging time. I truly believe that early detection saves lives. Please help me raise money for those who can not afford, or have been denied coverage of screenings that can literally save their lives. For every $80 raised, one more person will know if they are living with breast cancer. Any donation will help. On October 11 Staten Island CrossFit will be holding a Barbell for Boobs event, and will be raising funds for this great charity. Thanks for reading, and please follow the link to make a donation.

https://fundraise.barbellsforboobs.org/fundraise?fcid=502859

• Like 1

On the paycheck bragging tip, I looked at my paystub the other day (I usually never do because I have direct deposit) and a cool thing hit me.  My first real full-time job was something like 17 years ago.  I make more today in a day than I made at that job in a week.  Money isn't the only gauge of success but still, I think I'm doing allright.

• Like 1

Bad news is, my comeback as a manager has been cut off and finished, due to various reasons that are too boring to get into.  (I did get to work the main event of a show that raised over $2K for a cancer-stricken child, so it was worth it just for that.  I donated my cane as an auction item and it actually brought in $40.)

Good news is, it's because I'm now the main play by play commentator for ECCW.  I started up last Saturday in Vancouver and had some good chemistry already.  I can't wait to start on the third phase of this bizarre little career of mine.

• Like 2

The Champaign Urbana Mass Transit District :)

Well they DEFINITELY don't need broadcasters...

Shit...

Dispatchers, maybe?

Good call. I'll send them my last batch of ratings. I'm killin' it with men 18-49 and women 25-54.

My morning shows are sold out. My lunch show is sold out. The demand is high enough that businesses are now spending money on my voice tracked (recorded) hours. When I made my move, the GM and operations manager took a big gamble on me. A little over a year later and I've done what I promised I would. It's gratifying to know I could make good on their trust in me.

• Like 4

Asked Dean to give me a vacation from posting...probably for the best, given my knee-jerk reactions to a few things.

At any rate, I'm in the middle of my first paid hosting weekend at the Westport Funny Bone.  Really cool opportunity; first two shows have gone off without a hitch.  Next two evenings will be the big ones:  Two shows tonight and three tomorrow night before the final one on Sunday.  Glad to get on the radar of the top club in the St. Louis area.

• Like 2

Just had a popular cable TV show do a sitdown interview with me about Lucha Libre for their DVD special features.

Finally getting to use my Rain Man like wrestling memory to good use.

Don't worry Matt D and Cristobal I was sure to mention how awesome Roman Reigns is

• Like 3