DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

The local PBS station has a civil service position open that would mean a $5k raise, 9-5 work day and basically 6 weeks of vacation to start. Because it's CS, I had to take a test, which ended up being 10 time (e.g. 4:25-3:08 =1:17) math questions and 110 "please tell us how much experience you've had in these areas" questions. I ended up getting a 95% on the test, but am #2 on the register.

I've never applied for a civil sevice job, so I don't know if this means I'm up for an interview now, or if I'll automatically get it if choice number 1 turns it down?

Since the weather was warm today (well mid 40's but better than subzero wind like last week), I went back out for one of my walks. I needed to get some photos for a project I'm doing in school so I did the walk I used to do virtually every day last summer. Despite being sick, I managed to walk 1.95 miles. Would have done over two and a half, but I started really feeling sick and opted to take the bus home.

This year I want to do 150 miles walking. Last year I limped over 100 but only cause school got in the way at the end. I figure since the sun is up longer now and all the snow is about to melt I'll be able to do long walks again without worrying about weather conditions.

Congrats! However, "Dr. Control" sounds like someone who would be bothering Inspector Gadget.

Just earned my phd.

• Like 1

I hesitate to post this since it may seem like bragging. That's not my intention, just wanna relate a story that made me feel good:

Co-worker of mine comes up to me yesterday and says I had helped her with something by the way I handled myself with another co-worker. Apparently, a few weeks back, a co-worker said something to me that I either didn't like or that offended me or something and I told the guy as much and had shut him down. I apparently* did this in a quiet, polite, respectful way and it made an impression on her. Yesterday, she had to deal with somebody that was being difficult and was all set to go off on that person. She thought of me and my example and thought "That's not how Chris handled it. Lemme try his way." and it worked. And so she thanked me for being a positive example.

And, ya know, that just made my day. We don't always realize how our behavior can impact someone else, so to be told I had unknowingly influenced someone else in a positive way was quite gratifying.

* - I say "apparently" because I have no recollection whatsoever of this confrontation/discussion that I had with this guy.

Kiss Me, I'm Sober

I'm the proud grandson of two natives of Ireland. I grew up going to Irish cultural events and the local St. Paddy's Day parade and everything like that. I love being Irish and Irish culture. However, I absolutely hate what St. Patrick's Day (or month, depending on your proximity to large bar strips) has become. It's an excuse for really awful binge drinking that is somehow now tied in to a part of my heritage. This is really troublesome because alcoholism and addiction are major problems for us Irish. I don't know one Irish family (including mine) that hasn't been affected by someone they love who has problems with drinking and drugs.

But there's now a growing movement to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with sobriety. I love this so much.

And if you are celebrating St. Patrick's Day and do choose to drink, that's fine. But please keep it to a sane limit, because a lot of us micks really do take offense at what the whole day has become.

• Like 2

Welcome back, man. Glad to see you in one piece.

Welcome back! No one has run out of "likes" while you've been gone. You're one of a kind.

Hell yeah, The Natural is back!

Well holy fuck Natural is back - great to see you buddy

Close the thread, nothing can top The Natural's triumphant return.

Gracias.

excuse the double post.

you get your rig working again, natural?

Touch wood, I think I have.

Congrats to Tabe, Victator, Mike, Phantom Lord, DR. Control, Super Ape and Greg on the good news you have!

• Like 2

After all my years watching wrestling, I'll be seeing my first wrestling event in person, WWE next month via tickets my Sister got me for my 30th birthday. Tickets done for Avengers: Age of Ultron opening night as well. Think I'll be picking the latter up tomorrow.

• Like 8

In addition to radio and making music, I also do stand-up comedy from time to time. I was the headliner at a comedy night over the weekend and KILLED it. Now I've been invited to do a club set in Portland AND they want to shoot a dvd while I'm there.

Yup....give me a microphone and I'll do my damnedest to make money with it.

• Like 2

In addition to radio and making music, I also do stand-up comedy from time to time. I was the headliner at a comedy night over the weekend and KILLED it. Now I've been invited to do a club set in Portland AND they want to shoot a dvd while I'm there.

Are you doing Helium? My brother and a bunch of my friends have performed there a lot. Great club.

I just went into a sensory deprivation tank.

This has become a thing lately with the "Namaste" set, and whatever Joe Rogan is. It's a pod-type thing with about a foot of water. The water has a few hundred pounds of salt in it, making it buoyant like the Dead Sea. The door shuts to this thing and there is no light into it. There's also no sound (and you have to wear earplugs). The water and air temperature is set to the temperature of human skin, so you feel as little of the air and water as possible once you start floating.

I really didn't like it at first. It was hard to not bump into the sides/get centered/avoid the awful sting of salt in your eye. It felt a little like what the soldiers depicted in Metallica's "One" video must have felt like.It felt like I would be in that thing for eternity.

But once I got comfortable, I got REAL comfortable. 

A lot of people say they have hallucinations and the like in a floating tank. I didn't have that. But there were a lot of times where I didn't know if my eyes were closed or open. I was in that state where you're about to doze off -- like the really cognizant dream type things.

And then, wham, the music letting you know your 90 minutes are up came off. It felt like I was in this thing for 10 minutes.

I've been out of the tank for about two hours. I still have this weird headrush natural high thing. I'm just very relaxed.

Totally do this if you can.

Cool to hear...if you've got any comedy sets online, I'd like to take a look.

(Rooftop Comedy used to have some of my VERY early sets, but they're long gone now.)

Ditto. My one fear is drowning, so seconds after being shut in there you would hear a lot of banging and screaming coming from inside the pod. And not the good kind either.

I find the idea of drowning terrifying, but I have no real fear of swimming. It works out to me happily jumping in the pool/lake/ocean/whatever, but if someone tries to push my head underwater I will attempt to disembowel them.

Closing me in a tiny dark space with water=no.

• Like 1

Let's see, it's impossible to give me an MRI on my back because of claustrophobia, add to that a metal tank filled with water? Yeah, I'm with Cristobal, bring on the spiders and say "Welcome to Hell!"

The place I went to had this glowing light ball you could turn on/off to see. Some people also leave the door open. But, yes, this is not for the claustrophobic. It was big enough for me to stretch from head-to-toe just about, and I'm 5'10" or so. But you don't sink in this -- it's just floating like you're doing the backstroke and pausing for a minute. And after a while you don't even feel like you're in water. It's so weird.

My one problem with it is the air temperature. The water temperature is around 93 degrees, which is the temperature of human skin. The air temperature is the same so your body below and above the water line doesn't tell the difference. The air temperature was a little gross at first but I got used to it.

But if you don't fear this sort of thing, I would really recommend it. The head rush/relaxation part of it lasted for another hour or so before I was exhausted. I don't usually go to sleep until 1/2 AM. But I ended up getting like 10 hours of sleep. And when I woke up, I still had that weird feeling.

I will totally do this again at some point. My friend has gone a few times and said the second time was way better -- he was relaxed a lot earlier since he knew what to expect and felt like he was flying.