DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

It's days like this I really love my job.  

A company is coming in to run an all day conference in our Auditorium but they brought their own AV guys so I just have to hook their equipment into our system this morning and then get paid for the next 12 hours to sit here and basically turn down the lights whenever they run a video.  

Not a bad day.

Being in the office when one of your students gets the call that they have been awarded their green card is a pretty fucking great way to start the day.

What do you do, Rippa?

I was developing photos in my schools lab today when the lab tech came in with boxes that were donated. I rescued a vintage 8MM movie camera from the trash heap. Also got a bunch of lenses and another camera all because I happened to be one of two people in the lab today.

• Like 3

Planning The Wedding

The Church: My Father can't make it to the wedding. Janice was very upset with this as she has not met my Dad face to face. Us being in Toledo and Dad still being in NYC makes it hard, especially since dad is almost 80 and doesn't like leaving the city unless it is to go to his house in CT or Florida. To make up for this Dad has agreed to pay for the rental of the church we are using. That is $700 we do not need to spend.

The Caterer: Janice's mother's best friend in a caterer and has agreed to do this wedding for us off the cuff. One less thing to pay for

The Wedding Photographer: My friend is a professional photographer. When i told him I was getting married and wanted to hire him he refuse. He refused by saying he refused to be paid for it, that he never does weddings but I am the exception! One less thing to pay for

The Wedding DJ: Another friend, yet another person who doesn't want to be paid. Yet another thing we do not have to pay for

The Wedding Cake: The trend continues. My friend from the SCA is an insanely great baker. She does Ace of Cakes level stuff. When I told her Janice and I were getting married (she was the first to find out) she volunteered to do the wedding cake, the groom's cake and bake various and sundry goodies for the bachelor party and bridal shower. And again, one less thing to pay for!

In summation all I've paid for is my suit and Janice's wedding dress. There are still things we need to pay for but they are minor. I'm paying less than $500 for this event because I have amazing friends. Did I mention DVDVR's Zac Fu is performing the ceremony?

I'd gladly put myself further in debt to give Janice the wedding she deserves. I'm just glad I don't have to.

James

• Like 2

JH - I know this might be a long shot - but is there a way you can set up a skype type deal so that your dad can remotely view the wedding from NYC? There must be someone round his way who would be able to help...

But you've done the right thing - call in all your friends...christ, the months leading up up to the day where i was making invites, sorting out flowers, getting my kilt done, speaking with family members to do an impromptu choir flash mob for Mrs Red...

Heres hoping your day is as magical as ours was.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Planning The Wedding

The Church: My Father can't make it to the wedding. Janice was very upset with this as she has not met my Dad face to face. Us being in Toledo and Dad still being in NYC makes it hard, especially since dad is almost 80 and doesn't like leaving the city unless it is to go to his house in CT or Florida. To make up for this Dad has agreed to pay for the rental of the church we are using. That is $700 we do not need to spend.

The Caterer: Janice's mother's best friend in a caterer and has agreed to do this wedding for us off the cuff. One less thing to pay for

The Wedding Photographer: My friend is a professional photographer. When i told him I was getting married and wanted to hire him he refuse. He refused by saying he refused to be paid for it, that he never does weddings but I am the exception! One less thing to pay for

The Wedding DJ: Another friend, yet another person who doesn't want to be paid. Yet another thing we do not have to pay for

The Wedding Cake: The trend continues. My friend from the SCA is an insanely great baker. She does Ace of Cakes level stuff. When I told her Janice and I were getting married (she was the first to find out) she volunteered to do the wedding cake, the groom's cake and bake various and sundry goodies for the bachelor party and bridal shower. And again, one less thing to pay for!

In summation all I've paid for is my suit and Janice's wedding dress. There are still things we need to pay for but they are minor. I'm paying less than $500 for this event because I have amazing friends. Did I mention DVDVR's Zac Fu is performing the ceremony?

I'd gladly put myself further in debt to give Janice the wedding she deserves. I'm just glad I don't have to.

James

Nicely done, but I hope you are taking your wife on an epic honeymoon with all the green you are saving on the wedding. 

The Honeymoon is being saved until June (she insists we must go to my 25th Boarding School Reunion in NY so that's the Honeymoon. We thought about doing a Pennsic Honeymoon but is it really a honeymoon if you werer going to an event you go to annually anyway?)

James