DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

Congrats.

You're a better man than I.  We had four (all girls).  I think the best thing the wife and I have done is raise four smart, responsible daughters.

Second best thing we did was realize we'd go insane and beg for death if we had another kid.  I barely made it through the teenage years as is (hint: having four girls in six years will come back to bite you in the ass when they all end up teenagers at the same time).

4 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

We have four girls and three boys now -- ages 26, 25, 22 15, 12, 11 and now our new baby girl.  We have three generations of kids.  My wife has given birth in 4 different decades. 

As someone with 19, 9, and 3 in the house, you are an absolute madman. 

I had one of those great adulthood moments last night where I was craving deviled eggs at midnight and I realized: I can have that.  I can just make those eggs. 

So I did and ate a half dozen deviled eggs at 1AM and it whipped ass.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The photos of me and my new suit from my daughter's graduation are on my phone.   I am a government grey hat hacker so I don't do too much social media.  My sister has a Facebook account and my daughter has an Instagram account.  I will try to get a link to the photos or maybe upload one from my phone to One Drive and post it here.

My ex and her husband moved my daughter into her room at JMU yesterday and I saw the pics on my daughter's Instagram.   Her dorm furniture is much better than mine was when I was in college.   I am a little jealous.

I am headed up there on Shang Chi weekend to take her and her roommate out to dinner and to the movies.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I would think that making a jacket entirely out of fish would get a bit awkward.

It would be but that jacket would be high in both calcium and phosphorus. 

Finally listing my mom's house for sale tomorrow. Would have liked to have done it 4-6 months ago but oh well what's done is done. So if anyone happens to know someone who lives near Marysville, Washington and is looking to buy a place tell them to look my way. 

On 8/10/2021 at 4:05 PM, Lawful Metal said:

We have four girls and three boys now -- ages 26, 25, 22 15, 12, 11 and now our new baby girl.  We have three generations of kids.  My wife has given birth in 4 different decades. 

Tell the young 'uns that Uncle JT said Hey!  I love all of you guys.  You are family.

I will ask the question no one else will.  How much does your wife hate you right now?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Every once in a while, social media is a good thing.

Monday night, I'm laying there in bed and, for whatever reason, started thinking about my childhood.  And I started thinking about kids I hadn't thought about in decades and names I thought I'd forgotten.  When I woke up yesterday, I decided to see if I could track down a couple of them.

And I did.

First one was a kid (John) I played baseball with when I was about 9.  We weren't in the same grade so baseball was it for us.  Nice kid who lived in my neighborhood.  I was able to find him and he was very happy to hear from me.  We reminisced and it was great.

The next one was a kid who was best friends with another guy that I have maintained contact with.  I reached out to my friend and he said he hadn't talked to the other kid since they were 16, so 35 years.  I went searching and found the guy.  And told my friend, "hey, here he is".  Well, those two reconnected.  And Phil, the lost contact guy, reached out to me to say thank you.  And we spent a good 30 minutes chatting over Facebook reminiscing.  He lived 2 blocks down from me as kids.  We were not close friends but he was a guy I always liked.  Oddly enough, I remembered his address.  No idea why.  When we were about 9, there was a movie (Word of Honor starring Karl Malden and Rue McClanahan) filmed on our street.  I mentioned it to him and he had stories about running around on the set.  He's now an English teacher in Abu Dhabi of all places.

It was sooooooo nice to reconnect with John and Phil.  And especially to be able to put Phil in touch with Jose, his childhood best friend.  I had a big smile the whole time talking to them and now again as I write about it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, a student, whom I’d never met in person, approached me to say that she’d taken my asynchronous pulp fiction course over the summer, and it reminded her why she loved reading, and had read nine books since.

Made my day.

• Like 8

On 9/8/2021 at 9:23 AM, Technico Support said:

LOOOOOOL last I heard, getting a vasectomy didn't entail getting your dick separated into five distinct pieces.  But maybe they do it differently in Australia.

In Scotland they call it the Ol’ Willy Wallace. 

• Haha 2