DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

My wife is officially back in school. She's been accepted to WNMU (Western New Mexico University) to take online classes to earn her Bachelor's in English Literature. She's still got the worry in the back of her mind, that the principal will give the library position to someone else who's already got the degrees. The principal talked her off the ledge by telling her that someone with a lot more schooling probably won't want the starting pay involved in it. I further pointed out that, it's such a great story for the principal to tell people. This woman started as a substitute, not knowing week to week if she'd even be working, and then became a teacher assistant. Then, while still working for the school, she went back to school herself and got a Bachelor's Degree to become a permanent staff member. What a great success story to tell people about how much the school wants it's staff to be more successful!

• Like 8

My daughter is the valedictorian of Henrico High School in the RVA!  I am going to buy a new suit this weekend.  I cannot go to her graduation looking less than 100% pimp.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

My daughter is the valedictorian of Henrico High School in the RVA!  I am going to buy a new suit this weekend.  I cannot go to her graduation looking less than 100% pimp.

Congratulations to your daughter, that is awesome!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, gatling said:

Congratulations to your daughter, that is awesome!

It's totally awesome but it's added pressure on me.  I can't just show up to graduation looking like some asshole off the street.  I have to totally represent.

I have like five really nice suits, but they won't do.  I need new threads.  I take pride in my child, so I need to be the dad she takes pride in when I am at the event.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

It's totally awesome but it's added pressure on me.  I can't just show up to graduation looking like some asshole off the street.  I have to totally represent.

I have like five really nice suits, but they won't do.  I need new threads.  I take pride in my child, so I need to be the dad she takes pride in when I am at the event.

Rent a swank(is that still a word?) white tux and tails. . . ?  

• Haha 1

I signed my contract last thursday, 46K+ this year rather than 47; the half year I started with(slightly more since I started that Dec) doesn't count, as only whole years do. Still that's 5K or so more than the state scale. . . .

• Like 5

The Little League team I coach has their first game of the season tonight. It's 10 year olds recreational.  We've got a great little squad this year. We'll see if they remember anything from practices from the last two weeks. ?

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The Little League team I coach has their first game of the season tonight. It's 10 year olds recreational.  We've got a great little squad this year. We'll see if they remember anything from practices from the last two weeks. ?

As long as they remember to have fun, they should be GTG.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

As long as they remember to have fun, they should be GTG.

They had a great time. We lost 6-4, but they were cheering each other on, paying attention, and hitting the ball. We also had the play of the game when George, a kid who's never played before and is a natural catcher, ran after a wild pitch, got it and dove to tag out a kid who was stealing home. The rest of the team mobbed him in a dog pile at the plate.

• Like 2

I just clicked the DVDVRMB Leaderboard, and apparently I'm actually Number One poster just now.

Which is nice.

....and it's five days later, and I've already lost the title. Congrats Natural.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Further to my previous posts, I got notification a couple of weeks back that my second vaccine appointment had been moved from Aug 19 to Jun 25. I am now waxed, vaxed, and ready for Hot Boy Summer! Well, one out of three.

Edited by tbarrie
Correcting typo
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Further to my previous posts, I got notification a couple of weeks back that my second vaccine appointment had been moved from Aug 19 to Jun 25. I am not waxed, vaxed, and ready for Hot Boy Summer! Well, one out of three.

One out of three isn't all that bad, and definitely better than none! And I'm sure there's still time to not wax, until the summer is done! ...I shave, don't wax, not that it matters.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I probably shouldn't post this considering how superstitious I am after all the bullshit we've been through, but we've found another house and fully signed a contract. That's not to say nothing could go wrong, but it looks positive. Ranch-style house with no stairs (way better for all of us), nice neighborhood, new roof just put on, and as long as everything is copacetic we should be in at the end of the month. Packing (again...) looks like the main pain, but since we don't have an absolute deadline we can take our time with that and don't even have to pay the movers as much as last time, considering I'm getting us a U-Haul for the essentials this time around. And our current house might just be already sold but that is an even bigger question mark considering what we've dealt with. Who knows the mindset of someone that would immediately throw a ton of money at a house full of unopened moving boxes...

• Like 5

Guess who's coaching one of the All Star Teams for our 10 year old LL division? I volunteered to assist but since only one other coach did as well, I'll be Skipper for the Red All Stars tomorrow night. The league JUST sent me my 14 player roster and I'm scrambling to get a lineup drawn up. I'm not used to having more than ten players. Shit, we almost beat the "best" team last week with eight.  
edit: And I did it! After like five attempts and five times calling myself a " dumb fucking asshole", I created a just and fair rotation.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 4

The only team broken up at the All Star Game were my Yellowjackets. It was kinda shitty but it didn't matter to the kids. We had Yellowjackets on BOTH teams. And the final score was 5-4.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

The sanctioning body has approved our COVID plan and the Rubik's Cube competition I'm organizing is going forward. It'll be the first Spokane competition in two years and the first one in Washington in 18 months. We had one scheduled for March 2020 but, well, you know. To say I'm excited would be a massive understatement. August 28 can't get here fast enough. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 10:02 AM, J.T. said:

Am I the only one who's disappointed that it's been 2 months since this post and J.T. hasn't posted a pic of his new suit (which I really want to believe included a Mark Henry-esque salmon jacket)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We closed on our house yesterday! Already got 99% of the vinyl moved (I have one box I might want to split up and the three boxes of 45s) plus glass, china, framed stuff, and some garage. Of course someone didn't fill out paperwork right and got chewed out, and literally at the last minute someone fouled up again and wouldn't let us fill out a check, instead insisting on wired money though Illinois law was changed a couple years ago -- and by last minute I mean our lawyer sent it at something like 2:15 PM with a deadline of 2:30. 

Really nice house too, a ranch style with big open kitchen + great room, exotic plants all over (the owner was a landscape constructor that worked on Michael Jordan's house), and a back walkway that leads straight to a business complex with restaurants. Maybe now I can just work on picking up the pieces. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1